Find
Notify
Tools

9X74r question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted
Buddy of mine just picked up a nice old JP Sauer hammerless/top lever cape gun. It has double triggers. He says the caliber is 9X74R. Does this sound correct? I am not familiar with this caliber, but I guess that is NOT the same as the 9.3x74r. He said it came with dies and some reloaded ammo using 240gr hard cast in formed .444marlin brass. P.S. The other barrel is 12ga, would this be 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" shells?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There was a 9X74R Forster.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Any idea where I might find more info, I am coming up empty.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try using Google.

In five minutes, I found that the 9x74R Förster was released in 1919, that CH4D makes dies, and that Qual-Cart offers cases. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I tried that for the last hour, sadly those links don't seem to go anywhere or they are in german. Very strange that there is not something out there that gives a little basic history, ballistic info etc.

posted Hide Post
Well, not everything is on the 'net; only what someone has bothered to upload.

Google has a translate feature, although it is admittedly weak.

The 9x74R Förster is an obsolete round, and you will have to find a collector (or collector's forum) to continue your research (or better yet, let your friend do his own legwork).

George

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
He was apparently quite confused about what he had and sent me on a wild goose chase. Its all good though, I went to his place to see it, it is actually a 2 3/4" 12ga and 9X57r. He had brass, loaded rounds and dies. We shot it and it is great, he got it on trade and did not love it, SO I BOUGHT IT! (and I DO love it!) Will post pics later in a proper thread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you have something! Cool

I love cape guns and have two, presently. They have a certain grace that a BBF doesn't.

DON'T shoot heavy loads in it. Stick with 1 1/8oz field loads and factory spec rifle loads.

I'm excited to see the photos.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to the gun

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5105333/m/1431038371

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old 9x74 Sauer/Förster has the same case as 400/350 Rigby.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x74 is almost certainly the current calibre still loaded by Norma (cartridge and cases) and many other European makers.I have two double rifles sxs and stack barrel and find them easy to shoot with near .375H&H performance.To my knowledge there is no rimless version