Find
Notify
Tools

Savage mod. 24
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, all double barrel guns do the same thing, and are meant to be fired from a cool barrel. These are walk about guns for jump shooting, not target rifles. When one is in need of the .22 barrel, that is the barrel he shoots. One rarely follows a rifle shot with a shotgun shot, or vice versa. You can shoot the shot barrel all day, on a dove hunt, and not notice any change in the way it shoots. The pattern of a shot barrel is not too revieling. If one is useing the 22 barrel for jump shooting jack rabbits, the barrel has pleanty of time to cool before your next shot oppertunity.

The 357 Rem Mag, and 357 Max units came in two configurations. One was a 18" barreled survival gun with a pistol grip like a pistol, and the other was a "CAMP BUDDY" with a 20" barrel set, with a rifle stock, and a compartment in the stock for three shot shells, and 5, 357 Mag rounds. This was opened by slideing a thin steel plate asside to open the holes in the stock for the shells. These units were only made for about two years, and are rare today.

I'm a double barrel collector, that includes pistols, rifles, and shotguns, and combinations, all in O/U, and S/S configuration.
my collection will house any firearm that has more than one barrel, regardless of if it is cheap like the little Savages, or top of the line S/S double rifles for very large Nitro Express chamberings. They all have a place in the hunting fields of the world, and all have their draw-backs, regardless of price! FUN to collect, and more fun to hunt with, form junker, to diamond encrusted! thumb beer
v

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice post MacD37.

Would you happen to have any picture's of the 357 "CAMP BUDDY"?

You must not hunt Ptarmigan or Spruce hen's (Fool's Hen)......if it's rare for you to follow up a 22 shot with the shotgun or vice versa.

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread made me curious about Savage's current mod. 24s.

The 24F is retailing for $691 nowadays! Eeker

Even at that price, I might go for one IF they made a .22LR over 12ga that was shorter than this 24" barreled version and would take down and store like the old 24C.

They ofter the 12ga version in .17HMR but NOT in 22LR. But the 20ga version can be had in .22LR. What's the logic of that?!! bewildered

Damnit! I want a take-down version of the Camper Companion with synthetic stock, 12ga./3" with choke tubes, and a .22LR barrel up top! What's so difficult about that?!!! Mad Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Da Man:that is truly odd I did a little research and cant find where they ever made a 22lr/12guage version.go figure.If I were you and thought I wanted one I would go w/223/12guage,cheapest centerfire ammo and accurate.I have one over a 20 guage and love it.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 24V in .223/20 ga. Accuracy with the .223 wasn't what I expected. So I sold that one.

I still have a 22LR/20ga. 24C 'Campers Companion' that I love! thumb

While the 3" chamered 20 ga. with cylinder choke does most of what I'd expect a 20ga. to do, I'd prefer a 3" 12 ga. with choke tubes that would do EVERYTHING I expect a shotgun to do!

I've always liked the idea of an all purpose 'walkabout' firearm. thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a 22lr/12g Savage 24 would make a lot of sense here in OZ too (12g being a lot easier to find in out of the way places here than 20g. I emailed Savage via their website, and got the answer that there are no plans at the moment to introduce such a combination.
However, if a large enough market is out there, they will consider it.
I'd like one, but don't really think it will ever get made. Not when 223 ammo is so cheap, and has a lot more reach.
Ah well, the 24C will have to do.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I've got a 24v in 222 Rem over 20 guage & it's my go to truck gun & varmit gun. It's not perfect for anything but will work on most.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Firing up, this long dead thread. I made up this setup for my 24C (.22LR/20ga)

The largest production caliber for the 24 was the 357 Maximum, though it's far from common.

The silver gun in my first photo is of course a Springfield Scout. .22Hornet/410
I just sold it this week as I've picked up another 24, 30-30/20ga.

"He who has it, would do well to have it as if he did not have it."

http://www.Savage24.com

.45 Throats for Pete's sake. http://www.cylindersmith.com

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neat idea! What sights are they?
The reason I ask, is I have just tried to adjust the rear sight on the 24 in 22lr/410g that will be my daughters first gun, and had it break. I looked around for a Williams peep, only to be told they are 'out of print'.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They are both Marbles sights. The front set base I made.

The Williams sights are out of print, but do show up on Ebay fairly regularly.

"He who has it, would do well to have it as if he did not have it."

http://www.Savage24.com

.45 Throats for Pete's sake. http://www.cylindersmith.com

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
Neat idea! What sights are they?
The reason I ask, is I have just tried to adjust the rear sight on the 24 in 22lr/410g that will be my daughters first gun, and had it break. I looked around for a Williams peep, only to be told they are 'out of print'.

Look for a real rifle shop with a bucket of old stocks in a corner. New-style ones with only new/retail stuff don't always have odds and ends. The rifle shop at the Kittery Trading Post often has little doodads, and Gun Parts Corporation has a warehouse of old stuff.

I adapted pieces from another Williams peep sight to the mid-barrel leaf sight in my 24V. Other times I've made pieces in the basement to modify sights ( drill and file will work much of the time, although lathe and mill are nice ). An unfinished project is to add a Redfield pop-up peep sight to the scope mount on the 24V, something I started just before we moved and haven't been able to get back to.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will give the importers a ring. I also have to try a few more places (old style shops, with their own 'smiths) and see if I can pick through their parts bins.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 357/20ga now. I've never shot it and have considered selling it for several years. I have Meffert drilling that does the same thing.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
if i knew what i know about this gun iwould never have bought. what a piece of s.....

its going the cops for destruction. twice a shotgun cartridge s primer has been pierced by the firing pin and powder gas has hit me in the face, on the plus side i have had the opportunity to use it as a kipplauf. it has the 30-30 in the rifle. a good round , but next time iam having a good drilling that is good or a kipplauf rifle like a Blaser k-95 or the combo from them with a 7x65 r or 9,3x74r in the rifle. because we have a ban against leadshot in the shotgun , that has narrowed my need for a combo now,

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try the Blaser 95 BBF, it is now available with steel proofed BBLs, and will be available in the chamberings you mentioned.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
yes i have thought about that one, but that will wait for a while until i need it or can get the cash for it. i see the combo or drilling as a rifle eith shotgun on for i am more of a rifleshooter than shotgunner.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 24V in 357Mag/20 is the standard configuration 24V Series D with 24" barrels.

The 357 Magnum was introduced into the Savage 24V line in the 1979 cataloged and listed through the 1982 cataloge, a 4 year run. The 357 Max was only cataloged in 1983, but in 2 styles, 24V and 24VS.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Continuing from another thread, I was wondering what people think about the current Savage 24F models, and how feasible it would be to convert one into a "bergstutzen" (double rifle combining large and small calibres) using a rifled barrel insert from MCA Sports/Ace Bullet Company. I'm thinking about a 17HMR/20g with a 30-30 insert.

Model 24s are quite rare here in the UK, so a new gun is probably my only option, especially in .17HMR.

The idea - predictably - is to have one gun for vermin, fox, and small deer that I can keep in the vehicle I use for farm chores.

The great majority of opportunities are inside 100m, so the essential question is whether such a combo would have the necessary accuracy to take a squirrel, fox, or muntjac deer at 100m.

It would be good to hear your experiences.

Posts: 15 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you could count on getting the insert to align in sync with the sights once you removed it to use the shotgun barrel. I have several auxillary cartridge inserts, some of the old Marble's, some from Ace Dube, and some from Harry Owen, the guy who (I believe) started the insert business that Ace Dube now owns. For me, the only inserts that have worked really well are the 22 Long Rifle in 22 Magnum configuration. All of the others have been accurate enough for small target only at short range, 20+/- meters, and probably didn't do better than 6 MOA beyond that range.

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Jeff,

thanks for your reply - it's great to hear from someone who's actually used these things!

I was thinking of getting the longest available insert, assuming this would maximise accuracy as well as velocity. An 18" insert is mentioned on Ace's page but maybe a full 24" tube would be possible too?

Are these the type you have used, or are you referring to the 2"-barrelled "rifle inserts for rimfire cartridges" on this page?

If you have indeed used the longer shotgun or (45-70) inserts then it looks like I'd better look elsewhere, since if range is limited to 20m I might as well use the standard 20g barrel.

Julio

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the chamber adapters and I have an old brass 22LR in 30-30 insert, left over from Harry Owen's days, that is over 14" long that I have used in my Savage 24V 30-30 over 20 gauge.

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff. Guess I'd better think again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the Harry Owen/Ace Dube products I've had poor luck with a 22 LR in 22 Hornet Contender adapter, but the 22 LR in 22 Magnum jobs work okay, even in a High Standard Double Derringer. A six inch 22 LR in 44 magnum insert for my Contender isn't as accurate as a regular barrel but it's pretty good at iron sight distances.

The Savage Fourtenner tubes are great if you can find them. I still have a 20 ga example but deeply regret letting a 12 ga Fourtenner get away from in a trade that also cost me a 22 LR in 12 ga insert barrel (made in the 80s by a defunct mfg whose name I no longer recall).

EAA offer(s/ed) a 45/70 in 12 ga insert that might be fun to play with, especially to make a double into a cape gun.

$0.02

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
I may purchase the .22LR / 20ga version for pest control.

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading your post about the Savage 24Vs in 357, I decided to check the cataloge file and found the following in the 1983 cataloge:

"Savage 24VS * 357 Rem. Max.-20 * With Satin Nickel Finish

A camper/survival centerfire rifle/shotgun -- a version of the 24V designed for hard use. Features a satin nickel finish, full length tung oil finished stock. An accessory pistol grip stock is included. Has top opening lever as featured on the 24V."

I have never seen a Savage 24VS, or even a standard Savage 24V chambered in 357 Rem. Max. 1983 was a time of great turmoil at Savage, so I wonder how many, if any, of the 24Vs in 357 Rem. Max. were ever made and, if made, how many were actually shipped.

Jeff