New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage mod. 24
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many of you out there use a savage 24 for big-game/small game. List game hunted and combo's.

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have one in 30/30 - 12G, don't remember the model, apart from 24. this was around the mid '80s.
A great gun for pigs, goats, rabbits and foxes.

I still own a 24C in 22lr/20g. A very useful little gun, for those days when you might be driving around a farm or station, and might need to swat a couple of pest animals. It is also looking good as my daughters first gun.

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a Savage 24? with a 22mag over 20 gauge with iron sights. I carried this gun to hell and gone. I shot some stuff as I recall, rabbits, squirrel, etc. It was a fun first gun and still own it. Today it is a loaner for anyone who comes hunting and needs a gun.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Savage 24s:

22/410 in 24DL
22/20 in 24DL
22Mag/20 in 24DL
22Mag/20 in 24D
222/20 in 24V
223/20 in 24V (2)
30-30/20 in 24V
357Mag/20 in 24V

Coyotes, deer, 'chucks, pdogs, grouse, pheasant, badger, fox, and bobcat.

If you are interested in the Savage 24 series, you might enjoy reading Marshall Stanton's artice at www.beartoothbullets.com.
Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill439:
How many of you out there use a savage 24 for big-game/small game. List game hunted and combo's.

I have three of them:

24?, 22magnum/20 gauge, first gun.

24C, .22LR/20 gauge, truck gun.

24V, 6x45mm/20 gauge, antelope and sage grouse.

The first two have peep sights, the 24V has a 2x7 in quick-release mounts with a peep underneath.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TomP, What sort of peep sight do you use on your 24's?

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:

TomP, What sort of peep sight do you use on your 24's?

Cheers, Dave.

Two are Williams 5Ds. I had a homemade one on the 24V for a long time, changed it when I went to the new scope mounts. The peep is now mounted where the original leaf sight was, and folds down when the scope is in place.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I have the Stevens version, a 22/410 and I probably use it more (i.e., carry it with me) than any one gun that I own. With this little gun, I've bagged about all the different kinds of small game you can imagine. A lot of squirrels and rabbits, quail, a few ducks and pheasant, a coon or three, the odd ground hog, at least one coyote and one goose! Also put more than a few crows and jaybirds on the ground. Quite a reliable little gun, just about perfect for a 'knock-a-bout' in my opinion.
I think I traded for this gun in 1961 so I've had it for a little while.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 24v,s a 222/20ga. and a 223/20ga. I love the damn things and have a personal struggle not to buy more when I see them.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carried a mod. 24v in .223 and 20ga. for deer this year, with the idea I would have some shots at ducks and other critters. I had many chances to take other game but couldn't bring myself to mess up my deer hunting. I have the gun set-up this way--- in .223 50gr jacket bullet for head and neck shots on deer and long range shots for bigger varmits, 43gr lead for rabbits and small game, 20ga. #6 shot for small game and ducks(steel) and slugs for deer and pigs (slugs hold 2" group @ 50yds.) I think next season I will hunt with same set-up and not worry about deer, just shoot whatever shows up. If I would have done that I would have had much more game for the table- but had a great time anyway! No buckshot loads were found that shot good enough to hunt with- maybe I can load some special stuff for next year. Thanks for all who made comments. Bill439

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester (Olin) used to make a decent 20g load with #4 buck, but I haven't seen it around for a while. does anyone know if it is still listed in the US?

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill439:
slugs for deer and pigs (slugs hold 2" group @ 50yds.) No buckshot loads were found that shot good enough to hunt with- maybe I can load some special stuff for next year. Thanks for all who made comments. Bill439

Bill the way you carried your 24 loaded was the best you can do! You are lucky buckshot doesn't pattern in your combo, because buckshot is Saten's own invention, and wounds more deer than any other ammo you can think of. A 2" group for slugs @ 50 yds is great, especially if you are useing Brenneke slugs. Buck shot has been made illegal in many states, because of the wounding, and looseing of deer. LA has generous bag limits on deer, so your combo probably gets a good work out in the woods! Cool

I have a S/S cape gun with a 16Ga on the left, and a 8X57JR barrel on the right, that will place a 196 gr soft point and a Brenneke slug side by side, on the sights, at 100 yds, and either barrel will flatten a deer, hog, or Black bear! The shot barrel is a dove, and duck murder machine, with 7 1/2, and no 4 shot!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, thanks for your comments and I envy your cape gun. I would have used the #3 buck only for large varmits as I have no faith in small buckshot for use on deer. The slug that I used was the Remington std. 20ga. Winchester did not shoot as well. I haven't tried the Brenake slug yet as I ran out of time, but will try some soon. Thanks again, Bill439

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few of the Savage , and the old Stevens O/U combo guns over the years, and have one now ( a 24C DL) .22 LR-20 ga. I use mine when canoeing and camping. Handy little combo rifle/shotgun. The one I have is the old one with the selector on the side of the frame. It broke several times, so I simply left the button on the frame, and installed the selector hammer from a later model!

I've done a few modifications on several of these little O/U combos. I bought a used one chambered for 30-30/20 ga, and sawed the 20 ga barrel off just ahead of the henge pin, and sleeved in another 30-30 barrel on the bottom, and regulated the two barrels to hit POA at 100 yds. This is basiclly, and poor man's O/U double rifle at a fraction of the cost of a factory O/U double. It was butt ugly, but it was a deer getting little bugger! I took one of the 410 doubles and replace both barrels with two rifle barrels chambered for 218 BEE, same deal. Another one with a .22 LR barrel on top, then replaced the shot barrel (20 ga) with a 30-30 barrel, made a great deer/turkey piece!

I believe Savage is missing out on a real market with some of these combinations! beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I've done a few modifications on several of these little O/U combos. I bought a used one chambered for 30-30/20 ga, and sawed the 20 ga barrel off just ahead of the henge pin, and sleeved in another 30-30 barrel on the bottom, and regulated the two barrels to hit POA at 100 yds.
I believe Savage is missing out on a real market with some of these combinations! beer

Yes. I wrote them to ask if they'd consider a one-off 243/20 gauge, and they said no. Maybe they think you have to have a rimmed cartridge to make it go. I later on found someone to rebore the 223/20 and now have the 6x45mm/20, which is quite nice.

When you say it was 'sleeved', do you mean silver-soldered in place? Your comments stir the imagination...

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a front sight for my 24v 222/20 someone cut the sight out of the two barrel band I have looked every where I can think of but to date cant find one.Any help would be apreciated.w/regards

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:
Yes. I wrote them to ask if they'd consider a one-off 243/20 gauge, and they said no. Maybe they think you have to have a rimmed cartridge to make it go. I later on found someone to rebore the 223/20 and now have the 6x45mm/20, which is quite nice.

When you say it was 'sleeved', do you mean silver-soldered in place? Your comments stir the imagination...

Tom, I think the reason they did not want to do the 243Win/20 ga didn't have as much to do with the rimless case of the 243, but with the chamber pressures developed by this cartridge. The 243 Win is a 60,000 CUP round, and with the Savage rifle barrel being on the top, this would really be too much pressure. If however the rifle barrel was on the bottom, with the chamber walls as large as the 20 ga barrel butts, then it could be done safely. The top barrel being the rifle barrel is the Savage's weakness. If you will notice every fine COMBO gun made with a high pressure rifle cartridge, the rifle barrel is always on the bottom, and the chamber walls are quite thick. The bottom will not produce as much chamber thrust effect on the rifle in the bottom barrel as it does in the top barrel all else being equal. The reason for this is, the bore center is closer to the henge hook, and doesn't try to open the barrels away from the standing breach as much as it does from the top barrel which is very high above the CG of the henge hook.

To answer your question about the sleeving in a barrel! They can certainly be soldered in, for some of the smaller chamberings, but the best way is to bore the chamber area of the old shotgun barrel out to a cylinder,square the forward end of the cut shot barrel, and cut threads in it, and on the new barrel shank, and thread them together. Fit the new barel in till it fits flush against the standing breach. This is, in effect, makeing a Mono-Block out of the old shot barrel. Once fitted into the mono-block, then turn the barrel back out, and rough it.(ROUGH CUT THE CHAMBER) Screw the new barrel back into the mono-block, and finish the chamber by hand till it head spaces properly. That done, with the chamber end of the barrel coated with dycom, use a scribe to mark the placement of the extractor cut. Again remove the barrel and cut the bulk of the steel to be removed for the extractor, then re-install the barrel for final fit of then new extractor. after all the fitting is done, This is like simply threading a barrel into a reciever ring on a bolt rifle. Once the fitting is all done, the soldering of the regulating wedges, and ribs, if used, the tying of the barrels together while rigulating the rifle, will effectively hold the barrel tight in it's threads. DONE! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Th answer you question about the sleeving in a barrel! They can certainly be soldered in, for some of the smaller chamberings, but the best way is to bore the chamber area of the old shotgun barrel out to a cylinder,square the forward end of the cut barrel, and cut threads in it, and on the barrel shank, and thread them together. This is, in effect, makeing a Mono-Block out of the old shot barrel. Like simply threading a barrel into a reciever ring on a bolt rifle
A fella could play with the concept by using barrel inserts as well, leaving the shot barrel as is until he decides on which Bergstutzen combination he wants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:. This is, in effect, makeing a Mono-Block out of the old shot barrel. Once fitted into the mono-block, then turn the barrel back out, and rough it.

Not sure what 'rough it' means yet, but I like the idea. There are a lot of calibers that would go neatly on the bottom...

TomP

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:. This is, in effect, makeing a Mono-Block out of the old shot barrel. Once fitted into the mono-block, then turn the barrel back out, and rough it.

Not sure what 'rough it' means yet, but I like the idea. There are a lot of calibers that would go neatly on the bottom...

I went back and added a ( ) to explain wht rough it means. I simple assumed everyone would understand that it meant to rough cut the chamber, and then to finish cut the chamber by hand in the rifle, till it headspaced tightly. Sorry about that, didn't mean to confuse! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37: I went back and added a ( ) to explain wht rough it means. I simple assumed everyone would understand that it meant to rough cut the chamber, and then to finish cut the chamber by hand in the rifle, till it headspaced tightly. Sorry about that, didn't mean to confuse! beer

Ah, I should have picked up on it. I'm now wondering how hard a switch-barrel rig would be, maybe a 25-20 for general fooling around, and maybe something like a 250 Savage for deer.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm now wondering how hard a switch-barrel rig would be, maybe a 25-20 for general fooling around, and maybe something like a 250 Savage for deer.
The 250 Savage might be too much of a good thing for a Model 24 but you could always split the difference with a 25/35.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
quote:
I'm now wondering how hard a switch-barrel rig would be, maybe a 25-20 for general fooling around, and maybe something like a 250 Savage for deer.
The 250 Savage might be too much of a good thing for a Model 24 but you could always split the difference with a 25/35.

Time to drag out the cartridge handbooks and do a little dreaming...

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a savage Mod 24,(22/410)I got it back in the late 40's or early 50's don't remember.But I do still have it.Seems like it was 39 0r 59 dollars back then.I know with my Dads help we dug and sold a bunch of gen sain to pay for it.
I remember one night we went coon hunting and the dogs treed a possum and my dad was going to shoot it out,he had the stock on his nose and I held the light for him to aim,he thought he had it on 22 rifle untill the 410 went off busting his nose.
Those sure was the good old days.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have... um... www.Savage24.com

Always in need of content. Big Grin

And these two.

"He who has it, would do well to have it as if he did not have it."

http://www.Savage24.com

.45 Throats for Pete's sake. http://www.cylindersmith.com

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Germany is combo-country but the Savage 24 is still unknown.
I look at the savage24 web site and found, that the biggest caliber is the 30-30 which is hard to find in Germany.
Is the Savage 24 available in 6,5x57R, 7x57R, 7x65R or even the 30R Blaser?

I saw the riflebarrel is above, doen#t bring this combination problems with the durability of the action. I see the advantage, the scope is closer to the barrel.

CAS

the stock of the left rifle looks interesting, what is it?

Burkhard

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burkhard;The only centerfire rifle calibers are .22hornet,222rem,223rem,and 30-30-wcf.I have 2 of these guns and really like mine 24V,s222/20ga.&223/20ga.They are really accurate and I believe the action is strong.The rifle on the left was made by Springfield Armory It is all metal never handled one.w/regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gophershooter:
Burkhard;The only centerfire rifle calibers are .22hornet,222rem,223rem,and 30-30-wcf.I have 2 of these guns and really like mine 24V,s222/20ga.&223/20ga.They are really accurate and I believe the action is strong.The rifle on the left was made by Springfield Armory It is all metal never handled one.w/regards

For a short time the Savage 24's were available in OZ (and presumeably in the USA) with a 357 Mag rifle BBL and 20g shot BBL. However, I have not seen one for years.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave;You are correct about the 357 magnum and when I made my post I thought of that but wasnt sure as they are very rare so I didnt list that caliber.w/regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right, they are rare. I have only ever seen one. It struck me as a good idea, if you had a 357 revolver, it would make a good companion piece, for critters up to about 150lbs or so.

Cheers, Dave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a 222 or 223 over 20 gauge as a preditor calling rig.

What kind of acccuracy are you guys getting out of you rifle barrels that are scoped?

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
I'm looking at a 222 or 223 over 20 gauge as a preditor calling rig.

What kind of acccuracy are you guys getting out of you rifle barrels that are scoped?

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Depends on definition. If you set up five targets and shoot them in succession each trip to the range, from a cold barrel, not so bad. If you shoot one target five times, you'll be disappointed. Each shot, the upper barrel warms up and the lower barrel stays cold. After a few shots, the upper barrel wants to expand and the lower barrel won't let it. The whole rig takes on a shallow bend, and it shoots lower on the target.

As you point out, make the first shot count.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester (Olin) used to make a decent 20g load with #4 buck, but I haven't seen it around for a while. does anyone know if it is still listed in the US?

Sambar, factory 20 gauge buckshot loads in the US are usually limited to #2 or #3 buck.

Winchester still makes a 3" (76mm) 24 pellet #3 buck load in their "Supreme" line. If your 24C is chambered for 3", you might try this load. Personally, I've never tried this load. But I intend to try them out soon.

I've always liked the Federal 3" 18 pellet #2 buck (copper plated) load. They pattern very nicely in my cylinder choked 24C. I don't know if they are available in the land "down under", but I would recommend you try them if they are! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
I am surprised to read all positive commentaries on this little combo. Some fifteen years ago I had one in .22WinMag/20. I really hated that gun, as it was absolutely unreliable. It was no use setting the sights, as point of impact changed from shot to shot with a foot or more. I gave it back to the gun monger with some not entirely polite words.

But I like the concept: a simple, cheap gun without any ridculous decorations. It just lacks the shootability.

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC my brother's M24JDL shot 22 LR and 20 ga Foster-style slugs to the essentially the same point of aim. Maybe an M24 with wildly divergent points of impact would benefit from a flip up two position aperture like those on the early M1 carbine or No.4 Enfield, each zero'd for its own barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one 24 but I think it's the rarest variation they made, a 24V in .357 Rem. Maximum over 20 ga. These were offered briefly in '83 {I believe} and this is the only one I have ever seen. It wears a Weaver 1.5x-4.5x and shoots a handloaded 180 gr XTP over 2000 fps. I killed a whitetail doe with it about 3 years ago and have waxed a few squirrels and crows with the 20 ga barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After a few shots, the upper barrel wants to expand and the lower barrel won't let it. The whole rig takes on a shallow bend, and it shoots lower on the target.

I had a 22/20Ga years ago that had the same problem. When you shot the 20Ga, the shotgun barrel would expand and your next shot with the 22LR would be about 5" high. As the shotgun barrel cooled, the 22 point of impact would gradually return to normal.

I contacted Savage (several times) and finally got to talk to an engineer who told me the culprit was the barrel band by the muzzle that held the two barrels together. As one barrel heats up and expands while the other does not the barrel band will affect point of impact.

With the shotgun barrel being the more rigid of the two, shooting the shotgun barrel will force the 22lr barrel up. Shooting the 22 barrel repeatably will make it shooot lower as the barrel heats up.

He said that they had made the "Marketing" folks aware of this problem, and suggested a barrel band that would allow one of the barrels to "free float", but "marketing" refused to fix it. I eventurlly sold the gun as a result.

It is my understanding that on the new 24F modles, the barrel band is fixed to one of the barrels but allows the other to freefloat (slide through the barrel band as the barrel expands). Thus, the changing point of impact due to barrel expansion is eliminated. Can anyone confirm this?

firstshot
--------------------------
Make your fist shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
I had a 22/20Ga years ago that had the same problem. When you shot the 20Ga, the shotgun barrel would expand and your next shot with the 22LR would be about 5" high. As the shotgun barrel cooled, the 22 point of impact would gradually return to normal.

Near as I can tell from peoples' discussions, almost all over-under guns are like this, even expensive ones.

I think of it as a limitation of the rig, and try not to miss the first shot. Also this has implications for adjusting sights; you can not use the usual procedures at the range.

My first one drove me nuts until I understood that it would take multiple trips to the range, each time shooting a couple of shots from a cold barrel, to get the sights right.

One of my projects (when I get some time) will be taking these guns and a Ruger Single-Six convertible to the range and shooting five or six targets in sequence each of several trips, to see how repeatable the differences between shots might be. I have a Model 70 in 7mm magnum which makes a very repeatable pattern of its first three shots, as the barrel heats up.

TomP

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 24 is one that I inherited from my grandfather. He'd had it since the 1960's. It's a .22/.410 and a very handy little gun indeed. It's always leaning near the front door and sees duty as a pest rifle. We live in a rural area so I can shoot off the front portch if need be.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad gave me a 24 .22lr/20ga for my 10th birthday (1978)....my first gun! Wish I still had it Frowner. I think it was a V, but am not 100%, it had press skipline checkering, monte carlo style stock and case color reciever. I used it to take ptarmagin, spruce hens, snowshoe hare's, squirrels and ducks. I never had any problems with accuracy, not to say it was a tack driver cause it wasn't, but it worked ok for small game. I'd almost always shoot with the .22 first then cleanup with the 20.

I've been looking for it's replacement for some time, wouldn't mind a C or Camper with case and sling. I like the 24's for what they are....a handy, inexpensive(use to be anyway) gun that's at home in the boat, camper, truck ect.

Nice pic cas!

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote