Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Lion Pride Poisoned
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have, I worked my ass off and made the money, I took the chance and paid for the hunt knowing that I might not succeed, I left my family and hunted my ass off for 15 days trying to out maneuver one of the smartest creatures I have ever hunted, and when he finally screwed up, I put a bullet through his heart.

And HERE is the real issue a hunter is faced with:
I have paid all this money and I don't want to go home empty handed. I am NOT saying that I know how I would handle this situation myself, just pointing out the real conflict. It is money!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations on your lion hunt. You obviously got your money's worth.
Thank You and no doubt.
However, 15 days of hard hunting following a PH around doesn't make you more "credible" in a discussion on lion conservation than Lane, or any one else that hasn't "hunted" lion before? Am I wrong?
I would think you are mistaken, as the conversation may have had implications on "conservation" it was specifically talking about the act of lion hunting. As you state late in your posts, "Having never been in such a situation I cannot say I would not do the same myself.", and I am assuming that you have actually lion hunted, this makes my point exactly. It seems unreasonable to me that a man who has never been in the situation is questioning the way I handled something.

Irrespective of everything, you have to agree that there was some degree of irresponsibility in pulling the trigger under the circumstances you described? It worked out great so congratulations for that but the saying "better to be lucky than good" comes to mind.
I disagree with the word "irresponsibility", this gets to the root of this issue. I am not sitting in a blind waiting for Lion #2263 to show up so I can watch him for long enough to be absolutely sure he is the lion I have been allocated because I know he is 6.5 years old and does not hold a pride. I am lion HUNTING, I have worked for 2 weeks setting, checking and freshening baits, I have finally gotten a solid hit on a bait, a mature male and 2 females, I am now sitting on the bait (for what ends up being 6 days) hoping this male shows up. We are regularly seeing the 2 females without him, so we know he eventually should show himself, finally he does and I take my opportunity. I shot the lion I was hunting. Is there the chance he could have been 4 or 5, yes. But the decision was made to kill this mature lion before he showed. That is lion hunting (IMHO).

Posts: 5179 | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that guys that have never been in this situation cannot understand all the dynamics that go along with it.

My deal was; three days of baiting, we had a hit on the bait I killed at. One LONG black hair with tracks that matched AND some blond hair and a smaller set of pugmarks. Alister figured, an old solitary male and perhaps a younger solitary male, likely coming in at different times.

We sat on day three, we climbed the tree into the machan, and right on Q came a youngster with not much hair, after about 45 minutes perhaps, along comes this brute and dwarfs the youngster that ran off. CONFIRMING........no pride and two solitary male lions, we did not need to watch them. We had all the data required to kill the lion with no further implication. (other than not shoot him through the foot) Eeker

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And HERE is the real issue a hunter is faced with:

I have paid all this money and I don't want to go home empty handed.

Peter,
I cannot speak for others, but that was not my issue. I paid to hunt, I hunted hard, non-stop, with or without the lion, I got my monies worth. I have gone home without an animal on some very expensive hunts, and still had a blast, and would pay to go again. However, how good of a hunter would I be if I did all of the above, and right at the moment of completion, was consumed by doubt and a lack of confidence in my own thought process and ability? As stated before, I came, I worked, I made decisions, I followed through, dead lion. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn, I want to go lion hunting again!! BOOM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

+1,000,000,000

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3397 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WE all agree there, I havent been to Africa yet and damn sure will work to keep lion hunting going into the future. I have firmly believed since college that sport hunters have been the salvation of most of the game left in the wild.

Brad, You made choices that I dont believe I would, but I wasnt there.

I will throw your main point out--how does Shooting in the dark at what you think is the right lion advancing lion hunting?

Lucky is better than good sometimes

Congrats on a beautiful trophy.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:

WE all agree there, I havent been to Africa yet and damn sure will work to keep lion hunting going into the future. I have firmly believed since college that sport hunters have been the salvation of most of the game left in the wild.

Brad, You made choices that I dont believe I would, but I wasnt there.

I will throw your main point out--how does Shooting in the dark at what you think is the right lion advancing lion hunting?

Lucky is better than good sometimes

Congrats on a beautiful trophy.

SSR

Cross L,

I'll add something here, you can call hunting lions a bit of a chess match, moves and counter moves, you kinda know your foe before you see him. I think Brad was responsible. By the process of elimination he knew what it WAS NOT...since he knew what is WASN'T the list of what it is, is extemely short at that point.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does Shooting in the dark at what you think is the right lion advancing lion hunting?

I didn't go to advance anything, I went to lion hunt. I assure you, when I hunt, it has nothing to do with anyone but myself, it is the most personal thing I do. I do not care what anyone else thinks, I am not worried about anyone elses thoughts or feelings, and I am certainly not concerned with others agendas.

With that said, some would argue that many benefitted financially from the tens of thousands of dollars I spent on the hunt. The Operator/Owner might even argue that by hunting hard and shooting his 3rd mature male lion in 3 years (keeping his success rate on lion at 100%), that we benefitted his business and all the people that rely on that business for the food they put in their mouths and the clothes they put on their backs. The appy that hunted with us learned more on that hunt than on any he had been involved in before, I know this because I witnessed it. And finally, Glen benefitted from just being in my presence, as he commented many times that I was the smartest SOB he had ever been around. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts that 505 "knew" which lion he was shooting at. That is not too difficult, even in a completely dark night.

I was referring more to the fact of shooting a male lion in "....a completely dark night" (Though his report also mentions a "moonlight" so not sure which was which?) where the "vitals" are not 100% discernible! A couple of inches either way and you have a pi$$ed off wounded lion out to cause some damage! That is where I refer to "better being lucky than good!" and irresponsible actions. It all turned out fine of course so this is a mute point Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
how does Shooting in the dark at what you think is the right lion advancing lion hunting?

He advances hunting by booking with credible operators. Once he is there he only worries about his enjoyment.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

Once he is there he only worries about his enjoyment.

Therein lies the problem-

hopefully as hunters we will always be worried about ethics and safety. Not just when we are at home.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Having fun in your sport is not a problem.

hopefully as hunters we will always be worried about ethics and safety. Not just when we are at home.

People that don't compromise on ethics or safety don't have to worry about them when they are hunting. Maybe when you wake up every morning you have to have a mental discussion with yourself over whether you will behave ethicly each day but many don't have to.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
quote:

Having fun in your sport is not a problem.

People that don't compromise on ethics or safety don't have to worry about them when they are hunting. Maybe when you wake up every morning you have to have a mental discussion with yourself over whether you will behave ethicly each day but many don't have to.

Because they dont care?

Ben you are being arrogant again.

Turns out you aint the worlds arbitrator of morals and ethics.

Shooting at a target you can not positively ID is not ethical. Nor safe for that matter. "I thought it was" is not target ID.

SSR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was referring more to the fact of shooting a male lion in "....a completely dark night" (Though his report also mentions a "moonlight" so not sure which was which?) where the "vitals" are not 100% discernible! A couple of inches either way and you have a pi$$ed off wounded lion out to cause some damage! That is where I refer to "better being lucky than good!"

For clarification, there was a moon and it was the first night without cloud cover. I could see the lion in the moonlight, but did have a difficult time finding my crosshairs. Once I found them, I could not tell exactly where to hit him because of his mane, he was standing broadside, facing right. He finally lifted his right paw and grabbed the bait and I could tell exactly where I needed to put it. I had studied the shot in a book in the days leading up to the moment, I shot my rifle every day before I got in the blind to make sure nothing had happened. There were some things that were luck that night, the shot was not one of them. Anyone want to see the heart again? animal