New
Find
Notify
Tools

1891 Argentine sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a '91 Argy sporting a .257 Roberts barrel, bobbed 3 round mag and new furniture. Pic came from a poster on another forum.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
could be nice.. clean up the forarm and recut the top of the grip, and it will look as nice as i bet it shoots

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its got potential.
rework he forearm & the pistol grip then add a set of sights.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtyjim:
its got potential.
rework he forearm & the pistol grip then add a set of sights.

Yes, I agree. These little actions have graceful lines when you get rid of that old style magazine. This fellow did an admirable job of re-shaping the trigger guard bow and creating an Oberndorf style detachable mag Mauser. Re-doing that mag took a good bit of work. Three rounds is all most folks need. I would also replace the firing mechanism with modified M93-96 internals and swap the bolt stop with a 96 Swede. These actions are shorter than any standard military Mauser, including the intermediates. They are ideal for all the Mauser rounds in addition to the Savage family of fine cartridges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 M96 bolt sleeves and 4 M91 bolts. There is about .020 difference in the position of the threads so they don't really work as is.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
I have 2 M96 bolt sleeves and 4 M91 bolts. There is about .020 difference in the position of the threads so they don't really work as is.

I haven't tried the M96, but I know a M93 or M95 bolt sleeve will screw on. Thanks for the heads-up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the work on the triggergaurd does look good. i think i would have did the back of the magazine a little different though. i think a very slight curve at the back of the magazine would make it flow into the triggergaurd better.

i need to get back to work on my 1891 project

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtyjim:
the work on the triggergaurd does look good. i think i would have did the back of the magazine a little different though. i think a very slight curve at the back of the magazine would make it flow into the triggergaurd better.

i need to get back to work on my 1891 project

Your right. I think part of his problem was the location of the latch notch lies in that area and he may have been limited in what he could do. I would also weld up that notch in the front where the old mag retainer lock fit. One of the AR members cuts the mag off flush and solders it to the bottom metal. Then uses the old lock screw rivet hole in the front as a hinge mortise for a flush fit floorplate made from a M98 box mag floorplate. I've got 5 '06 sporter barrels I bought from Numrich several years ago threaded for a M89 Belgian. They are great condition barrels and have a flowing contour very similar to Husqvarna sporters. I intend to use one on a M91. My plan is to shorten the shank by 1/2 inch and re-chamber to 7.7 x 58 Japanese. Pacific has the reamers and they cut a chamber neck only .001 larger than a '06 reamer. That will give me a 7.62 x 58 wildcat. I can load with 7.7 dies and a .30 cal expander.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster

You might consider just shortening an '06 FL/seating dies .39". Then simply run '06 cases into the FL and trim to the shortened length of 2.105. A standard or match '06 reamer can then be used to chamber the barrels. Makes an excellent .30 cal cartridge for the M91 Argies with a .308 barrel on them. Shortening the dies and cases for the .35 Whelen makes another excellent cartridge with a 14" twist .358 barrel. Very close to a 9x57. The nice thing about both is that regular reamers and dies can be used.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
Bobster

You might consider just shortening an '06 FL/seating dies .39". Then simply run '06 cases into the FL and trim to the shortened length of 2.105. A standard or match '06 reamer can then be used to chamber the barrels. Makes an excellent .30 cal cartridge for the M91 Argies with a .308 barrel on them. Shortening the dies and cases for the .35 Whelen makes another excellent cartridge with a 14" twist .358 barrel. Very close to a 9x57. The nice thing about both is that regular reamers and dies can be used.

Larry Gibson

Larry,

If I shorten the die, isn't that going to size down the case head too much? I'm not sure about the force required to compress that much brass and what effect it would have on the integrity of the case head. The case head is .472 so how much smaller will it be .39 in further up the die?

Actually, the rep at Pacific told me they have many customers that order the 7.7 x 58 reamers for that conversion and they will grind the neck to suit. So I could get a true .30 cal neck dimension. I can also rent a 7.7 finish reamer for $25 from one vendor. That would give me access to pre-formed 7.7 brass so all I would need is the .30 cal expander ball.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 1891 argentine mauser. Was my firwst really hi-power rifle.That nose thing on the front of the forestock definetly will have too go,
Then what passes for the grip cap will have to be reworked as well. Most folks do not realize how the magazines are put together. From my own pitiful experiences in trying to make a shorty magazine, The circular piece of sheet metal is soldered in place plus there are about 4 very short what looks like pins to hold the rest of the magazine. But still if a little work would be performed the old girl could raise her head again. Frank

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
could be nice.. clean up the forarm and recut the top of the grip, and it will look as nice as i bet it shoots

What exactly is wrong with the grip cap? I'm sorry but I can't really tell from the pic what needs to be done to it. What would you do to make it better?

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornFor what it was and what it is now I think you did just fine. Go on to the next project. coffee roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments on my 91 Argy...paid $35 for it in late 60s to use deer hunting when a teenager. Retired about 6 years ago and decided to redo it when I got back into guns/reloading and shooting. As a 257R, it does shoot quite well. The stock is a Richards Microfit bargain bin one. Latch that was in front of magazine, I cut off and JBWelded back into its hole. Right about where mag joins trigger guard, another latch there that limited what I could do.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one hit pretty close to home, guys... My father hunted with a "sporterized" 1891 Argentine Mauser (a lot of those years with me) from very early in the 1960s until his eyesight degenerated to the point he could no longer hunt, back about 2004.

I told him goodbye March 21st of this year, when he was 81 and a few months.

I inherited his rifle, and Dad and I will use it this winter to take a whitetail, Lord willing. His 1891 has become my most prized possession.

Huffmanite, thanks for the thread. It brought back some very good although somewhat bittersweet memories. beer

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Where do ya' shoot huffmanite?

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jtex, usually I shoot about 10 benches from you.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I like it the way it is.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote