Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RSAUM Fans?
 Login/Join

posted
Are there any fans of the 300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag out there? Or is this caliber as dead as a doornail? I have an opportunity to pick up a Remington 673 for a song...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogger, There's at least 2 of us!! I bought one of the frst ones out in a BDL SS 24" barrel model and although here in the east, we don't need such stuff, I've been pleased with it's performance! It was accurrate enough and easy to load for. VARGET with the 125's,150,s,165,s seems to do well! If REMINGTON had gotten their heads out of their butt and relased the SAUM's instead of the RUM's(R&D was already done but they wanted to release the golly-whoppers!!) ahead of the WSM's.....we'd be talking about the "dead in the water WSM's"!!!! I like the case design enough that just yesterday, I was at the range doing a barrel breakin on a SENDERO chambered in 300SAUM!!! Remington has again got their heads in the wrong place......Sendero's are a thing of the past!!! This one didn't do too bad for the first load tried while breaking the barrel in..... .387 an .520 withh two different shooters!!! I think I'll play with it a bit!!! VARGET seems to be a very likable powder to the 300SAUM....get some and have some fun!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
I bought one of the frst ones out in a BDL SS 24" barrel model ....

I must have bought the second one gunsmile Very forgiving cartridge to load for, and rewards you with excellent accuracy most of the time. I'm more into H4350 and occasionally Varget and H4895 for the lighter bullets. You won't lose much with the 22" barrel. As a handloader, my only concern would be if Green stops making the brass....Try the Hornady VMax 110s on groundhogs..wooeeeeee!!! jump

HS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one cuz I loved my .308 Mod Seven. My SAUM is great.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High Slot, May have to give them 110's a try!!! I know for a fact that 115's from a 7mmMag will turn a groundhog "inside out"!!!! I just may sell the light barreled 300 and carry the Sendero for an all around rifle!! The light barrelled one loves 125,150,165 and 180's so it is versatile!!! The Sendero is only 1/2 way thru the barrel break-in but so far it is performing to "standards"! I may shoot some 190's in it just for S&G's to see if it may warrant a trip to Williamsport, PA!!! GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 friends who each own one. They let me use theirs while we were shooting does and hogs in Texas. The rifles were based on Rem model 7 actions with a Christensen barrel. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I collected about 13 empty brass just for the heck of it. If I could get a steal on one I will have a few brass to load I guess. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gunbroker.com has some pretty good deals on them right now... $440 NIB for a Remington Model 700 stainless synthetic with 24 inch barrel. What I want is the model 7 SAUM...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Add me to the "have one!" crowd. Never one to do things like everybody else, mine is a Ruger! I bought only one box of factory ammo, as all the shop had was the high-dollar NPT loads. At about $35 a box, they were just too rich for my country a$$. Razzer
Looking around for (non-existent) brass, it didn't take me long to discover that it isn't really a big chore to form brass from WSM cases. homer
I've probably enough cases to last me now, but should the urge ever strike, the Ruger mag box is long enough for a rechamber to WSM. Don't think it will ever happen, though.
As an aside, mine screams with 150gr bullets, which are plenty for Texas.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bug, You hit on one of the advantages to the Remington version verses the Winchester version of the "short mags"!!! The REMINGTON case is more versitile if you ever want to do anything else with it!!!! Albeit, it's pretty darn good in the orignal configuration!!!! Just follows right along with cartridge invention from the get-go!!! If Winchester did it, Rmeington could do it better!!! This is the starting point of a long thread here I see!!! Big Grin GHD