New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interarms Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Interarms mannlicker,it's a '83 build. A well finished metal work,nice rifle. I know from using the search,it's a Zastava and Interarms was the inporter.But it also has Manchester ,England on the side. What's the English connection?

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a article about that and I can't for the life of me find it. But, I'm pretty sure that unless it has British Proof Marks the Manchester really means nothing. I thought Zastava made them under contract with a British Firm and Interarms was the Importer. Kind of like how Interarms imported the Howa under their name after they lost the Mark X.

I pulled 6 MKXs from the safe. Early and late model and they all say Manchester. 3 were action only when I bought them. 2 were barreled actions and the last a factory rifle. All marked the same.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ramrod's right.. not an "english" gun, but built to an english house's spec...

here's my total conjecture on how this went...

interarms bought the spec rifles from (whitworth) the english house, who had delivered their specs to zastava, because someone at a shotshow liked the "englishness" of their spec, and the rifles NEVER touched british soil... if they did, they would have either proofs or "NEM" on it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38483 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff is right. I have owned several MkXs, and none came with real Enlish proofs, as in a gun that had touched the shores of "merry olde". Just a marketing ploy to make the Yugoslavian rifles more attractive.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,at least the walnut is "english", probably from Turkey.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think the whitworth 1 of 1000 guns might have been thru england they also were around in 83 or so hallowell has a whitworth on his sight right now it does not look bad but i dont think there is much more quality put into this rifle as any of the other zastava built guns of the time . the action being an FN type mauser was a solid action and many custom guns were built from them harrington & richardson used zastava actions also the whitworth i think sold for around 500$ which compared to a winchester or rem. i think the interarms was a better gun just because of the action....paul

Posts: 294 | Location: MASSACHUSETTS | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is" as new",I'm very impressed with the polishing on the action ,all sharp lines.The bow and the floorplate are fine too.They just forgot the front bottom metal.The wood fit is good.But the checkering,they only did two passes,instead of three.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm very impressed with the polishing on the action ,all sharp lines

The old MKX were polish very nicely. The later models with the crosspin sometimes were not quite as nice you just never knew before hand. The early Daly's had a lot of the corners rounded and scrfew holes egg shaped.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Well. I am finally a believer, after owning several Whitworths and lots of MK X's, I finally saw a whitworth with English proofs! The gun was purchased here in Houston by a friend, it was previously owned by John Wooters he was told. It is in .375 and the sights, barrel band, fit and finish are very much better than the later Whitworths. I had never believed that Manchester was any more than a clearinghouse for Interarms european small arms business. Live and learn!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote