Find
Notify
Tools

McMilan A5 Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of kongy
posted
I am looking to put one of these on a Sako 75 .308 varmint action. I am told they need pillar bedding to get them to fit. Any of you guys have any experience with this stock, and know if they will drop in or need extra work

"The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please"
Lt. Col. Tim Collins, commander of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish

Posts: 90 | Location: England | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have six McMillan stocks that were inlet for Sako actions. All were a drop in fit. I do go ahead and bed them, but pillars are not necessary at all.
The A-5 is a nice stock for its intended purpose. I have held one, but don't own one. The resulting rifle won't be light, but it will really shoot.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kongy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help with this. I want it for a long range outfit. I will put a border barrel on later in the year, the stock is the first job as it will take 10 weeks to arrive.

"The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please"
Lt. Col. Tim Collins, commander of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish

Posts: 90 | Location: England | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I visited the McMillan facility and wrote a story on it that should come out next month.

They use CNC machines to inlet the action area; they are drop fit, but I glass mine as well.

Good stocks that dispell the myth that everything needs to be pillar bedded.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako 75 stainless synthetic 270 where the stock broke at the pistol grip. Beretta said they would replace it, just send it in. I couldn't bear to take the chance of losing that rifle so I decided to buy a McMillan instead. When the stock came in it was a perfect fit. The rifle shoots in the 1/4" to 1/2" range everytime so I have not had the action bedded.

Good product, just takes so long to get.

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote