New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need your opnion on price
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There's a 30-06 weatherby ultralight for $700. It's admitted to be a 1 1/2 inch shooter with the bullets the owner tried. Otherwise it's in good condition. Worth it or not?

I really don't need a 30-06 or ultralight since I have something similiar in a 308 but I could always use it as trade bait.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty good price for that rifle. Those rifles are well made, and can be very accurate. It's very light, about 6.5lbs. 24" barrel, stock has a bedding plate installed, all in all, a nice rifle.

If you like it, it will serve you well as a hunting rifle.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
hell, get rid of the 308...move up to the 30-06 weatherby and dont look back

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's high IMO. How old is the rifle?

How many shots down the tube?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
The gun is supposed to have less than a hundred shots and was recently bought. My local gunstore has SPM (similar to an UltraLight) for $1700 and 40% off (Recent Sale price). Works out to about $1000-$1100. It seems like a good deal in my part of the woods but checking with other areas.
I could always turn my 308 into something else.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New commercial Mauser action from Numrich, $200
New Pac-Nor featherweight barrel, prefit, $300
Screwing in the barrel, $50
Rings and bases, $50
Walnut stock from Boyd's $65

$665, and it's new.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeL:
There's a 30-06 weatherby ultralight for $700. It's admitted to be a 1 1/2 inch shooter with the bullets the owner tried. Otherwise it's in good condition. Worth it or not?

I really don't need a 30-06 or ultralight since I have something similiar in a 308 but I could always use it as trade bait.
I've got an Ultra-Lightweight in 308Win and it shoots in the 8s easy enough for 3-shot groups. Of course, pretty much all 308Wins are easy to get shooting well.

I would imagine you could get similar accuracy with the 30-06 in the U-Lt, if you spend a bit of time messing with it.

Only two real problems:
1. Once you have the rifle in your shoulder, the stock design is so good that it is unlikely you will continue to consider it Trade Bait. The "only reason" I have mine is because a good buddy of mine had one and forced me to shoot it a few times. The stock feels like it is holding me, rather than me holding it. Just an outstanding stock design.

2. If the guy that originally owned it was one of the folks that doesn't understand about keeping a barrel cool, then he "may have" damaged the barrel. Probably not, but something to keep in mind.
---

If you decide to get it, put fresh batteries in your Bore Light and take your cleaning kit to the Gun Shop with you. Clean the barrel real well and look through it. If it does not look like a hall of mirrors, pass or plan to re-barrel.

And use a "Tight" Paper Patch on a Jag to feel for roughness in the throat. Cotton patches just don't allow the same feel that a Paper Patch does. If you feel any roughness at all, the barrel could be fried or perhaps it is some Carbon build up. If it is Carbon, a cleaning paste made with Bon Ami and your favorite Bore Cleaner will easily remove it and not harm your bore at all.
---

Anytime you buy a "Used Firearm", you really don't know for sure what it has been subjected to - especially the older ones. You have no way of knowing if it has "Cumulative Metal Fatigue" and for me it just isn't worth not knowing.

But for darn sure you can not take an old action and turn it into a "new" rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Sounds like it's pretty new so, that may be a good deal in your area.

I bought a new Mark V for $550 not too long ago. The rifle had been bought never fired and then traded, never even had a scope mounted. Thats about 1/2 what it cost new. I don't ever give more than 50-60% of the "new" value on used guns. I have found that in different areas used rifles seem to vary greatly at gun shops. While I'm traveling for work I try to stop at a gun shop if I spot one.

Buy her! Ya can't ever have too many.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers guys. I went ahead and bought her even though it's a little strain on the wallet right now. I'll slap an old Scopechief 3-8x36 on her and see what she does. I guess it'll be worth the money if she shoots.
I figure the 308 can become a 260 Remington. Then I'll have a 260 remington, 30-06 in an ultralight, 7remmag in a heavy barrel, and 338 WinMag. When I get a varmit caliber I'll have a nice well rounded battery.

Reloader,
Where did you find an Ultralight for $550? That is a steal! They retail $1600-1700 and I hardly find them discounted around here. Even used they run around $1000plus.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Congratulations on the new U-Lt.

I can recommend good old 168gr Sierra MatchKings Seated Into-the-Lands 0.010" and good old H414 to BenchMark the rifle with. Just go slow in the Load Development and enjoy the excellent rifle, the short bolt throw and that nice crisp trigger.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reloader,
Where did you find an Ultralight for $550? That is a steal! They retail $1600-1700 and I hardly find them discounted around here. Even used they run around $1000plus.

It was just the "Plain Jayne" sythetic version that usally runs around $1000+ new not the ultralight. $550 was a pretty good price.

You'd be surprised what I see at some of the local gun shops. Saw a used but, unfired Styer 7mm Rem Mag for 450 a while back. It didn't sit on the shelf long. Sometimes, I should just drive right on by and not stop, it seems like one of the rifles always has my name written all over it. My wife is gonna shoot me if I bring another home (That is if she knows).

Hope your rifle is a shooter.

Good Luck!

Reloader