New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Winmag versus 8x68 S
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last time in RSA i hunted plains game with my exellent M70 / 375 H&H / 270 Swift A-frame.
I still got zebra, kudu, red hartebeest and possibly waterbuck and bushbuck on my list for the next trip.
Although as much as I appreciate the M70/375 H&H combo, the rifle is a bit on the heavy side for long days in the bushveld ( I´m not getting any younger by the years, and have quit lifting those dumbells...rising a pint now and than though beer ).

A friend speeks highily of the 8x68S, and I have first hand experience with the 338 Winne as my moose rifle for some years.

The 338 Winchester is stock item everywhere, but the 8x68S will be a semi custom job.

The question is:
Is the 8x68S worth the extra coast over a stock Ruger 338 Winmag regarding performance on the animals in question ?
Any of you guys and gals have any real time experience with the 8x68S ?

I´m aware that this could be the 270 / 30-06 pissing contest once again, but I ( think I) need a rifle with a little more long range / flatshooting potential than the 375 H&H.

Just for the record...I´m not interested in the 340 Weatherby / RSM/Lapua/Dakota/Lazz. -kind of rifles, just the two calibres mentioned.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have no info on the 8x68s but i shoot and own a 338 wm as my only hunting rifle.factory ammo and componants to reload will be alot easier to obtain if you use a 338 wm and will handel alot of african thin skin game. i personnaly would use a 338 wm on eland,lions etc with out worry. just my personnal thoughts

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I opted for the 8x68S. I look at it as midway between the .300 & .338 Win Mags combining the best of both.

It is as flat shooting as the .300 and can use bullets almost as heavy as those used in the .338.

The .338 would certainly be easier though.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
do it for the fun of it and cuzz yer a gun nut...

performance on game wont be noticable imho

the only thing the 68 case is good for is wildcatting Big Grin

358x68 = 35 newton Big Grin(drool)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't have any first hand experience with the 8x68S, but I own and use a .338WM, and that's what I would reccomend.

IMHO, the 8x68 is like an ultramag version of the 8mm. Allows more powder, and slightly higher velocities and a little added range. I'm not an ultramag person.

But do whatever you like, it's your arsenal, not mine. Just enjoy whatever it is you end up with.

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you feel the "need" you need to satisfy it! Big Grin

On game performance between a .375 and a .338 won't be enough different to tell IMHO. The .338 WM can be made to shoot flatter by just a bit. But I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and it will work great. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The first time I saw the 8x68S case I thought what a great .338mag it would make. clap I don't think the 8x68S gets you anything over a .338winmag, maybe a bit more thunp than the .300winmag but I would just opt for the .338winmag. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 cal has a better selection of bullets for long range hunting duty.
Although I would prefer the 8x68s for myself, I would reccomend the 338 Winnie, for practicality.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
The 338 Winchester is stock item everywhere, but the 8x68S will be a semi custom job.

It's exactly the other way around in many parts of the world.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild I have and use both the 8x68 and the 338win so I'm going to add my 2 cents. Both calibres are very capable of taking large game at extended ranges.I would suggest you give some thought to the weight of the bullet you intend to shoot. The 8x68 will shoot 200 gr bullets at velocities similar to 180 grs out of 300 mags. The 200 Nosler partion is very effective as is the 200 gr Barnes X. If you choose heavier bullets like the 250 gr or heavier, I would give the nod to the 338. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a question, but why not an 8mm Remington mag? Not a custom job here at all, Boddington and Kenny Jarrett really like them. There are rifles around for them, dies and factory ammo too. Hornady, Nosler, and Barnes make all the bullets one could want for the 8mm too. Even a .325 WSM well respected by people who have used it on African plains game from all the accounts I have heard.They all are certainly "enough gun".

I like the 8mm bore and am building a vanilla 8x57 as we speak. So if it must be between the 2 I'd opt for the 8mm.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a 325 WSM in a 6 1/2lb Kimber that recoils less than you think because of excellent stock design. Most 338 Win Mags are a pound or two heavier. The 338 is a great round but isn't found in nice light rifles like the 325 is. I've found that the quality of 338 Win Mag brass is highly variable. You just about have to fireform them in your chamber to get top accuracy from your rifle. The WSM don't have this problem....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the answers guys.
As a long time user of the 338 Winmag, I feel I know its capabilities. ( The one I had was sold a couple of years ago, but I kind of miss it Wink)

As I said, a friend spoke highly of the 8x68S and it got me thinking about a light rifle again, capabable of taking big game at open plains.

The 8mm Rem.mag is defenately an option, but is really hard to come by ( in any rifle brand ) in my part of the woods. Again, a special import/order, or a semi custom job.

The Winnie is stock item both in Remington and Ruger, as well as an odd Winchester XTR in the used rifle racks here and there.

I do not want to use more money than nessecary on this project....the savings is primarely for the next African hunt Smiler
So I guess I will go the 338 Winnie -way Wink

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted Hide Post
I hunt frecuently with both calibers. The performance is similar in medium game, depending more on the type of bullets than to the caliber. The unic small difference between both rounds, is the 8x68 with bullets from 187 to 200 gr can shoot somewhat flatter and the 338 can manage heavy bullets more efficiently (+250gr.). I normally hunt medium game (specially at long ranges) with 8X68 and I use the 338 for driving hunts and medium to high game, buth both are more than adecuate for any type of this class hunting. In Europe there are several manufactures than offers 8X68 as standard caliber in their rifles (Sauer, Mannlincher, Heym, Blaser ...), so it is not a custom job.

Ignacio Colomer

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman and Ignacio....Thanks, good information from thouse who knows both calibers.
I´m aware of the rifles Ignacio mention, but I´m a budget guy and thouse are in a different leauge than I play.

As this will mainly be a plains game rifle up to kudu/zebra size, I guess the 338 Winchester with 215gr monometal or 225gr/250gr Swift A-Frame /NF wil do the trick.

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I opted for the 8x68S. I look at it as midway between the .300 & .338 Win Mags combining the best of both.

It is as flat shooting as the .300 and can use bullets almost as heavy as those used in the .338.

The same goes for the 8mm REM MAG, of course.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would give the 338 ultramag a serious second thought. It will do exactly what you are asking when paired with Remington's Sendero.
What wisdom possessed Remington to drop this combination will probably never be known, but it is their loss for sure. What Remington managed to do however, was to create one of the best cartridges to come along in some time.
I like and own several 8m/m's, however I fail to see where it offers any advantage to the hunter over the 30, or the 338 as most bullets were intended for 8X57 velocities. Today that situation no longer exists, but the fact remains it can't beat the fast 30's without added recoil, and it won't touch the 338 class when penetration and sectional density are at issue.
With that said, I must say the 8m/m has its rightful place in the hunting line, and deservedly so. My little Husqvarna is the closest thing to a featherweight I own, and I'm betting nothing gets away form a 196 grain Hornady at 2650 FPS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Planemech:
Just a question, but why not an 8mm Remington mag? Not a custom job here at all, Boddington and Kenny Jarrett really like them.
I like the 8mm bore and am building a vanilla 8x57 as we speak. So if it must be between the 2 I'd opt for the 8mm.

Because the 8x68S does not have that ugly belt...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:

The same goes for the 8mm REM MAG, of course.....

Yes, but the 8x68 is much easier to get to work in a 98.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safarischorsch:

Because the 8x68S does not have that ugly belt...

that too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I´ve opted to build a 8x68 just because I want one, it will be finished sometime in the fall.

If you want to be practical then get a .338...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 200 Nosler 8mm has a better sd than a Nosler 200 or 210 .338 and a better bc! the are within thousandths at 200 vs.225/230, only with 250 do .338's exceed those same numbers in an 8mm. It's a toss up the actual difference on game would be hard to see. And yes the 8x68 is cool.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reimar Johannsen has RWS 8x68S brass in stock.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
8x68, 220 grs Sierra SBT, V0 2900f/s, point blank for 5,0 inches high and below: 355 yards, zero at 300 yards.

.338 winmag, 215 grs Sierra SBT, 2900 V0 2900f/s, point blank 5,0 inches high and below: 355 yards, zero at 300 yards.

Exaxt same.

In a m98 length action, the Winnie works best, because of the length. Yes, the 8x68 was originally made in the M98, but they loaded the cartridges to the same length as the .338 Win mag, and by so made a very strange looking cartridge. The 8x68 is at its best in a longer action, so it can be loaded to 88 mm.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for your comment Bent Wink
If I read you right The Winnie is as versatile as the 8x68, and it will still handle the heavier bullets with gusto...

On the Reloading thread Phurley5 speaks highly of the North Fork 225 and 240 bullets.

As a rule I wery seldom take shots over 250 m due to my aging eyes, and within those limitations I guess the 338 Winmag has a slight edge over the 8x68, especially bulletwise.

What I really want is a lightweight rifle with good downrange performance for the Zebra, Kudu, Moose-sized animals.
I feel the 338 Winmag fits in nicely.

Arild Iversen.

<JOHAN>
posted
Arild,
A ZG-47 got 89 mm long magazine so a cartridge oal. around 88mm would be no problem.

In my opinion 338 win= 250-300 grain bullets, similar performance as the good old 333 Jeffery rotflmo Ruger is not my cup of tea, they are often very crude and requires a bit of attention before use. Perhaps a Sauer 202 in 8X68s and an extra barrel in 6,5X68. Why not spend some more petro nok's and buy a Heym light express Big Grin Big Grin

RWS, RUAG offers ammo and brass for 8X68S, hopefully Norma will soon join them rotflmo

However, 7X64, 8X57IS or 3006 would most likely work fine Razzer

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:

I´m aware that this could be the 270 / 30-06 pissing contest once again, but I ( think I) need a rifle with a little more long range / flatshooting potential than the 375 H&H.

Looking at the H&H, with a 250 grs Sierra 250grsSBT, V0 3000f/s, point blank 5,0 inches high and below:350 yards, zero at 295 yards.

As you see, it is just about as flat as the others, and recoil is not very much different.

If you limit yourself to hunting inside of 250 meters, almost any cartridge is flat enough.

If trajectory is your consern, the H&H will do fine.
If a light rifle is your wish, I'd go for a light .30-06. With 180 grs A-frames, BarnesTXS's or simmilar bullets, it will be more than adequate for anything in Africa, exept buff, ele and hippo.

Sorry, you were only interested in the two above mentioned.Well, it really does not matter. If the winnie feels good, go for it - it is absolutely more common if you need to by a pack of cartridges.

But, the '06 will save you more money for the trip! clap

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan.
If I run into a nice used 8x68S for a resonable price I might tempt myself ....again Big Grin

Bent.
With the 270 gr bullet the 375 H&H shoot as flat as I ever need, but my M70 is a rather heavy rifle, thats why I´m looking for a lighter one.
Thats the one and only reason I keep telling my self.
But I know...deep inside... that I want another darling to fondle and to care for thumb

The 30-06 way is a dead end as I alredy have a 308 Win, and you know the old story about two in the "same" caliber......... Frowner

Arild Iversen.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
I´ve opted to build a 8x68 just because I want one

That works for me! cheers

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what you reeeeely need is a 9x68 Big Grin (358 for the metric/std challenged)

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
The 338 winmag propably the more logical choice. However, I love my 8x68S and would not dream of changeing it for something simmelar. I shoot 220gr Swift A-Frames @ 2850ft/sec, and it is deadly... So far, this season only, it has accounted for about 18 kudu/ gemsbok/ zebra/ blue wildebeest size animals.
If you want more info on it, you are welcome to contact me. In the mean time, hereis an article I wrote on the 8mm for our local magazine.
http://www.huntingsafaris.net/pdf/germanysgreateight.pdf

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
grat article, the 8x68 aint dead and will never be.

Here in Norway there is a good bunch of enthusiast that has them and laods it with different bullets, have you tried the woodleigh 220 and 250 grain bullets ?

Iam palnning a wildcat in 8mm based upon a .404 Jeffrey case necked down and shortened, and given a new shoulder.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
No, I have only shot 22ogr Hornadys and Sierras (too soft) and Rhino and Swift A-Frames in it. I am pretty sure a 250gr Woodleigh would be deadly at shorter ranges, but then I use my 9.3x64 (non dangerous game) or my .450 Rigby (DG). I specifically had the 8x68S build to do long range hunts, and backup shots on Hartmann zebra intent on dissappearing down a kloof...

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 8x68. It will cost more to make and more to shoot. Money is ment to be spent( just ask my wife). HELL, buy them both!

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 is by far the more logical choice if you live in the USA because of the availability of components. But In Norway I would give the 8 the nod.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a ruger no 1 in 8x68S, and have found that the 8mm is my cartridge for hunting animals from 60- 250kg. I have not used the 338 much myself, but several of my hunting buddies have used it , and are very satisfied. Mostly this boils down to apples or oranges. In real life, the performance of these 2 rounds are almost the same.
I use 2 different loads in the 8x68S, and 2 scopes in QR mounts, one for each load:nr 1.. 185g PBP HPBT/3100Fps and Kahles Helia 3-9x42 scope,nr 2..250g Woodleigh PP/2730Fps and Kahles 1,1-4,5x20.

Posts: 28 | Location: Northwest Coast, Norway | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 338 can be made lighter, which seemed to be the question he asked. A 338 can use a 22" barrel. The 8mm is a longer cartridge also adding action weight.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose the 338 because of practicality
Iwanted an 8x68 because of cool
every day I pine for an 8x68
What do you really want? Does the head have to agree with the heart?.....or are you trying to think with your wifes head?

Posts: 205 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After searching the gunshops far and wide, I ended up with a Ruger M77 Stainless/laminate stock in 338 Winmag, used but only one box trough the barrel. Looks as new.
Trigger job done already, rock solid scope mounts.
Not as light as I hoped, but I guess my new plains game rifle is ready for reloading sighting in , fundling and caressing Big Grin
Will top it with a Leupold VXIII 2,5-8x36 with German # 4 reticle.

End of story.......

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:

In a m98 length action, the Winnie works best, because of the length. Yes, the 8x68 was originally made in the M98, but they loaded the cartridges to the same length as the .338 Win mag, and by so made a very strange looking cartridge. The 8x68 is at its best in a longer action, so it can be loaded to 88 mm.

I disagree.

The 8x68S was introduced in 1934 especially for the M98! That cartridge is designed for the Mauser 1998!

It has no belt the 338 win has so the 8x68S works in the M98 very smoothly.

There are more problems with the belted cartridges in the magazine.