THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM FOR A ONE ARM MAN

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM FOR A ONE ARM MAN
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
JOHN RIGBY 7mm MAUSER - A RARE EXPERIMENTAL BULLPUP or A CUSTOM RIFLE FOR A ONE ARM MAN

I just added this one to my collection. I've always liked the "different" guns, and this one sure fits that definition. I can't wait to get it in hand. I will be contacting John Rigby asking for any information available for this rifle.

As always your comments are most welcome.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/RIGBY-ONE-000.jpg

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2123 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to be able to see your pictures.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
try clicking the direct link to the pics

Posts: 2123 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You do seem to find the most interesting rifles.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1061 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the linked worked thanks.

That is an interesting rifle for sure

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Interesting, and I suppose it was some kind of bullpup.

I would wonder how a one-armed man could work the bolt and what use that butt would be to him. With a conventional butt you would at least have something to tuck under your arm or 'wing' and more room to move the bolt.

Still, I watched The Fugitive back in the '60s, and seem to recall a one-armed man supposedly strangled Richard Kimball's wife - so what do I know?

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Interesting, and I suppose it was some kind of bullpup.

I would wonder how a one-armed man could work the bolt and what use that butt would be to him. With a conventional butt you would at least have something to tuck under your arm or 'wing' and more room to move the bolt.

Still, I watched The Fugitive back in the '60s, and seem to recall a one-armed man supposedly strangled Richard Kimball's wife - so what do I know?

I was thinking on similar lines too but when looking at it the stock was tucked under the good arm against the chest under the armpit while the forearm and hand extended out to the front grip and trigger. The butt couldn't have sat up in the normal position on the shoulder. The recoil pad would have just acted to provide some grip on the dropped stock sitting under the armpit rather than acting in anyway as a recoil softener against the shoulder. To work the bolt the stock would have been gripped in the armpit, the pad helping here, while the hand brought back to work the bolt. My theory anyway, would be interesting to see once buckstix gets hold of the rifle and tries a one armed operation.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I had sent pictures of the rifle and a request to Rigby for information about this strange rifle. Today I got a very pleasant reply from the Rigby Historian. Here is what he wrote:

"... 4610 is a Rigby Serial number, It was made on 11th October 1919 for a Major J. D. Venables. ’Stock for one arm’
So, it seems it was made that way by Rigby. ..."

Based on his comment at the end of his report, the Historian seemed surprised that it was indeed made by Rigby.

Here is what I've found about the Major Venables. I can only assume he lost his arm and had the rifle custom built for him by Rigby.
I will continue to research History about the Major.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/venables-record.jpg

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I just can't figure out where the cheek rests.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Now its official . here is a copy of the Rigby Certificate.

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/rigby-cert-1.jpg

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, there you go. I'm amazed also at how many pies Diggory Hadoke has his fingers in.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Well, the rifle arrived today.

Testing showed that I could maneuver the rifle with having only a right arm ... I placed the muzzle down on the ground with the stock against my right shoulder. I could then work the bolt, and then grab the pistol grip, and then raise the rifle to aim and shoot. My chin / cheek would rest against the slanted oval on the stock. The recoil pad was against the shoulder and the sights were in-line to aim. By pulling the gun tight against the shoulder, I think recoil would be quite manageable. Since the caliber was listed as 275 HV it means the bullet would be 140 grain resulting in lower recoil.

here are some pics

http://www.buckstix.com/buckpics/RIGBY-ONE-0000.jpg

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Needing to put the muzzle on the ground might not have seemed such a good idea to Major Venables, if he had been on the Somme.