THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    I have just completed my Rocky Mountain ASS Meat SLAM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have just completed my Rocky Mountain ASS Meat SLAM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I have just completed the infamous Rocky Mountain AnterleSS Meat SLAM with multi-caliber Oak Leaf cluster aka Rocky Mountain ASS SLAM-MC.

This prestigious award is given by the Benevolent Society of Animal Hunters of Lower Economic Status aka BS AHOLES.
The only qualifying animal is cow elk because they represent the epitome of a meat hunt.
To win this prestigious award you must shoot a Rocky Mountain Elk in every state that the Rocky Mountains touch and you are given 1 free pass state and 1 bull elk substitute.

For those of you who are less informed the Rocky Mountains touch:
Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. Contrary to some maps, the Rocky Mountains do not touch Arizona and Oregon.

To achieve the Mutli-Caliber Oak Leaf cluster you must take an elk with every proper elk caliber which are .264, .277, .284, .308. 323, .338, .358, and .366. (yeah my opinion; .264 is minimum and in my mind .375 is way over kill and hey - I am a legend in my own mind. Besides isn't it fun when you can make up the rules to fit your own needs Big Grin)

My submission includes:
Colorado – cow elk 35 Remington Marlin 336 and 358 Winchester Browning BLR
Montana – cow elk 8x57 Mauser BRNO 21
Utah – cow elk 270 Win Weibe Custom Model 70
Wyoming – bull elk 338-06 McCabe Custom 1909 Argie
Idaho - 30-378 Weatherby Mark V, 300 WSM Browning X-Bolt, 284 Win DPCD Savage custom 6.5 PRC Unknown Maker, 308 Win Ruger American
New Mexico 9,3x62 DPCD VZ-24 Custom

Upon completion, you are awarded the famous “I only Eat what I Kill” T-shirt.

I probably should give up drinking. Smiler

The last of the SLAM was in New Mexico 12/18/2023 – 350 yards prone with VZ-24 in 9,3x62 shooting a Barnes 250 grain TSX @ 2465 fps.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike. I have long thought you a very good hunter indeed.
But I'm confused .... I thought you achieved that BS AHOLES status years and years ago ..... Big Grin Wink archer and already had several T-Shirts !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I'm confused .... I thought you achieved that BS AHOLES status years and years ago .....

Alas, I had never achieved being a certified AHOLE until this year. But I will admit, I have tried very hard for the last several decades.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Geez, really neat! Big Grin

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shoulda subbed in moose for other states close-nuffs and you coulda got in Oregon and AZ too.

worst ahbutt ever.... LOL

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last of the SLAM was in New Mexico 12/18/2023 – 350 yards prone with VZ-24 in 9,3x62

Uh oh now you’ve done it, most folks here in the states think the 9.3 is only a short range rifle. Wink

Congratulations on your quest, after all you can’t eat the horns.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice post, thanks Mike!

quote:
Contrary to some maps, the Rock Mountains do not touch Arizona and Oregon.

jumping

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

As you advised me about a year ago - "Everybody needs a hobby" Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
As the occasional recipient of some of Mike's delicious SLAMmed ASS (MC) meat, let me say how pleased I am that he has finally been recognized as the BS AHOLE he most assuredly is. He has worked very hard for this distinction.

Some may not know I was with Mike when he shot his Idaho moose a few years ago, and well, you get to know a fellow when you share a camp. I can say with utter certainty that there are few BS AHOLES I can tolerate at camp, but Mike is one.

Congrats buddy. Your elevated status is well-earned.

P.S. He never brags about it, but Mike also holds ribbons as a DORK (Defender Of Rifle Knowledge) for his load development procedure and is TRANS (Tries Repeatedly And Never Succeeds), as evidenced by his tireless efforts to squeeze .125" of accuracy out of an otherwise good shooting rifle. ;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE HAT !!!

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
by his tireless efforts to squeeze .125" of accuracy out of an otherwise good shooting rifle.

Baxter - you are such a liar. I am not TRANS as I do not try to squeeze an 1/8th of an inch out of good shooting rifles.

I only try to squeeze an 1/8th of an inch out of VERY GOOD shooting rifles.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm still chuckling!

Great post, Mike, and it really is a noteworthy accomplishment.

Well done ya old AHole. Welcome to the club.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good job!

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed is sure to come around complaining about awards and how it ruins hunting!

Good job on your success. I got tag soup in MT this season.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
I have just completed the infamous Rocky Mountain AnterleSS Meat SLAM with multi-caliber Oak Leaf cluster aka Rocky Mountain ASS SLAM-MC.

This prestigious award is given by the Benevolent Society of Animal Hunters of Lower Economic Status aka BS AHOLES.
The only qualifying animal is cow elk because they represent the epitome of a meat hunt.
To win this prestigious award you must shoot a Rocky Mountain Elk in every state that the Rocky Mountains touch and you are given 1 free pass state and 1 bull elk substitute.

Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico. Contrary to some maps, the Rocky Mountains do not touch Arizona and Oregon.

To achieve the Mutli-Caliber Oak leaf cluster you must take an elk with every proper elk caliber which are .264, .277, .284, .308. 323, .338, .358, and .366. (yeah my opinion; .264 is minimum and in my mind .375 is way over kill and hey - I am a legend in my own mind. Besides isn't it fun when you can make up the rules to fit your own needs Big Grin)

My submission includes:
Colorado – cow elk 35 Remington Marlin 336 and 358 Winchester Browning BLR
Montana – cow elk 8x57 Mauser BRNO 21
Utah – cow elk 270 Win Weibe Custom Model 70
Wyoming – bull elk 338-06 McCabe Custom 1909 Argie
Idaho - 30-378 Weatherby Mark V, 300 WSM Browning X-Bolt, 284 Win DPCD Savage custom 6.5 PRC Unknown Custom, 308 Win Ruger American
New Mexico 9,3x62 DPCD VZ-24 Custom

Upon completion, you are awarded the famous “I only Eat what I Kill” T-shirt.

I probably should give up drinking. Smiler

The last of the SLAM was in New Mexico 12/18/2023 – 350 yards prone with VZ-24 in 9,3x62 shooting a Barnes 250 grain TSX @ 2465 fps.

I congratulate you on this prestigious, momentous achievement. Few will ever achieve this august achievement.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Here is the t-shirt

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post! I love it and wish I could be a member.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait! Did I read somewhere in the above posts that Mike is a "Trans"?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Washington, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.

Au contraire! The Rockies extend into Texas, and the Texas Rockies have elk. You've more work to do to earn that T-shirt!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

97% of geologists disagree with you Big Grin

But even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt; I have checked with the Board of BS AHOLES and that is a different award called the Rocky Mountain ASS SLAM - Southern which is a separate category.

God, I crack myself up.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek,

But even if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt; I have checked with the Board of BS AHOLES and that is a different award called the Rocky Mountain ASS SLAM - Southern which is a separate category.

God, I crack myself up.

No point in resting on your laurels. Besides, what are you going do? Retire? Might as well move those goal posts.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us about the elk with the 35 Rem.
I like the long list of calibers and cartridges. I'm always using something different too.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Back40,

The year was 1996 I believe. South of Hayden, CO which is West of Steamboat Springs.

To the best of my recollection. There was a herd of about 8 or 10 as I recall that we spotted from the road. So we dismounted the vehicles and made a sneak. Took a rest over a downed tree and made a shot at about 110 yards or so. Hit the cow in the shoulder but it continued to try to go up hill and away. So as it walked away I held on its head for the second shot and spined it forward of mid-back. My 336 was scoped with a Redfield Widefield and I was using factory 200 grain corelokts. I would estimate the final shot was around 140 yards

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stonecreek,

God, I crack myself up.

Okay, in that case we'll use the definition of some geologists (with which I disagree) and recognize the Brooks Range of Alaska as part of the Rockies. The Alaska panhandle has some elk, so you still ain't done yet!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Stony,

Never underestimate the Board of Directors of BS AHOLES - that is a different award called the Rocky Mountain ASS SLAM - Northern which is a separate category. Big Grin

How else can one have delusions of grandeur unless they keep making up new awards.

Merry Christmas

Mike