THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    sako big bear or custom build...thoughts??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sako big bear or custom build...thoughts??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a vanguard action i was going to build into a 9.3 X 62. nothing fancy, McM stock quality barrel,action/trigger work etc.
there are alot of nice features on the sako.
can i build one with similar features for the same or near sako's $1800 asking price??
thanks--cam

Posts: 157 | Location: san francisco bay area | Registered: 23 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maurtiz, by the time you get a good barrel, McMillan stock, and have it put together and tuned by a custom gun guy, you'd probably be over the $1,800 mark, not to mention the wait. If you like the Sako the way it is configured, it would probably be your best bet to shop around for prices and buy one.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Sako model 75 in 30/06 and had it rebarrelled to 9.3x62. All in it cost me about $1000 and it shoots great. I gave up trying to find a Sako 9.3 here in the US.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
If you can get a Big Bear in 9.3x62, buy it. It will have a far higher resale value in the used marked than any custom rifle you might build on a Weatherby action.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061551#9821061551

I've got an order in for one, but it will be around December before it gets here.

For me personally, I didn't feel up to building another rifle at this time. I was looking for an out the box rifle that was ready to go with little to no extra work. Out of the rifles I went through, the 9.3 Sako best fit what I was looking for as an end product. Don't think I'd want to spend that much money on a rifle if it didn't fit my requirements.

So my advice would be to choose your route based upon what you want in an end product. If the Sako would fit the bill, I'd go that route. If you'd need to make a bunch of changes to the Sako to fit the bill, you may be better off looking elsewhere.

Best Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I saw a Sako L61R 30'06 for $800 in a Cabela's store in Michigan. You could get the 30'06 barrel rebored to 9.3 for about $300 or less!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to be a blue steel and wood guy.
Here is a Sako Model 75 Hunter that started life as a 30-06.

It was rebored to 9.3 x 62.

An Example of how it shoots.

I'd say if you want a stainless synthetic, you could get one in 30-06 and have the same thing done.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote