Find
Notify
Tools

New 2011 Sako Black Bear 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

- short fluted barrel, barrel band swivel mount, Recknagel sights, synthetic stock, weighs 7-pounds, holds 6-rounds. Looks like a good all-rounder for about anything/anywhere.

Sorry it took so long to get back, but I promised I'd give an update on the New Sako "Black Bear" 9.3x62. Everything worked out with a limited number of 20 rifles special ordered with an expected delivery date this December. I have my order in to reserve 1 of those 20. If anyone is interested, contact Alex Roy to get your name in the hat to reserve one of the remaining. By the time the order comes in, they may all be spoken for and gone.

Best Smiler

Alex Roy
www.eurooptic.com
439 Crawford Alley
Montoursville, PA 17754
+1 570 220 3159
Fax +1 570 368 3923

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use it as a tracking rifle - but magacine capacity is only 4 rounds in 9,3x62!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the factory listed specs for both S and M actions in the below chamberings.

Action caliber rate of twist
308 Win 11” S 338 Federal 10”
30-06 Sprg 11”
8x57IS 9.5” M 9.3x62 14”
9.3x66 Sako 14”
Cartridge capacity
S / M 6 rounds (1 in chamber, 5 in magazine)

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85BlackBear.pdf

How do you like your rifle and do you have any favorite loads you'd share?

Thanks Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of us anticipated that when Beretta gained control of Sako we would start seeing mostly plastic guns.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
That caliber in a new Sako "Brown Bear" would be sweet.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice little rifle, good to see some practical rifles in this fine old caliber.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most of us anticipated that when Beretta gained control of Sako we would start seeing mostly plastic guns.

This is not a production Beretta/USA deal, it's a European rifle(or should I say everywhere but Beretta USA rifle). Beretta wants to push the Federal 370 Sako in the U.S. and not the 9.3x62. As a result the 9.3x62 Black Bear was a no-go for Beretta USA. It took a bit of a grass roots effort to get Beretta to import these 20 rifles on a special order through Alex.

Phil Shoemaker got his hands on a demo Black Bear to handle and shoot and he gave positive feedback. He reported that he favored this rifle in handling over either the Kodiak or Brown Bear. I'd been looking hard for a good factory offering chambered in 9.3, to include the CZ, Zastava, and Ruger. When all was said and done, I felt this Sako was a better package to fit my needs. At that point I began writing to the importer and distributor to see what it would take to get one imported into the U.S. Others were doing the same thing, and in combination, it appears to have worked to make a limited number available for purchase. I had received a bunch of PMs and emails during those months from persons expressing interest, and I had promised to pass on any updates for those who didn't want to miss out.

Best Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in Canada Stoeger is not bringing them in 9,3x62 only the 370 magnum doubt you ll see it on the southern side too ....

Posts: 1753 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

Well, at least they got the weight right on the plastic ones !

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don´t use the Black Beer, but a very similuar custom job on a Sako 85. It has a laminated stock, barrel is 48cm (19 inch) long, all sights are ring-installed with a special sight in a nitrated finish, sling-swivels are titanium.
As load I use the Lapua Naturalis long range 220grs bullet because the long, heavy weight standard Naturalis 270grs was not stabilized in the short barrel.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
in Canada Stoeger is not bringing them in 9,3x62 only the 370 magnum doubt you ll see it on the southern side too ....

Beretta and Federal created the cartridge for us dopey North Americans. They knew we wouldn't buy a 9.3x62, so they added slightly more powder, named it 370 so we would know what it was, and tagged on a magnum so we would buy it.

CZ is making the Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62.

Anyone know the pricing on the Black Bear?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of synthetic stocks. Sako makes a stainless laminated hunter in 9.3X62 as well and I would prefer it over the black bear.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That stainless-laminate-hunter is a very nice looking rifle and I gave it a hard look. But for what I was looking for in an out-the-box rifle, it added too much weight, was too long, and did not have the Recknagel sights. I don't mind chro-moly and was wanting a synthetic stock, so the Black Bear better fit my bill.

A cheaper rifle that follows the Black Bear style is the new CZ550 Kevlar Carbine. But I decided against it due to issues I had to correct with my other 550 action. But that would be an alternative to the Black Bear which would reduce initial cost. Though if you needed to go through the rifle like I did with mine, it ends up being a wash in added time and money. One thing is for sure, we have more out-the-box 9.3x62 alternatives now than we had in years past.

Best Smiler

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Makes me appreciate my Sako AV 9.3x62 that much more. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Makes me appreciate my Sako AV 9.3x62 that much more. Big Grin

+1 on that Dr. Lou,

prolly won't be trading mine in on a "bear" either.

GWB

Sako 75, 9.3 x 62

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
You're just lucky you were a little quicker or I'd have that one too. Big Grin beer

I haven't killed anything with it yet, but looking forward to using it my next moose hunt.

Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
You're just lucky you were a little quicker or I'd have that one too. Big Grin beer

I haven't killed anything with it yet, but looking forward to using it my next moose hunt.

Lou

what's the old saying,
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Tell ya' what though, should I ever decide to part with it, I'll let you know first.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can see my recent post, but I recently bought a Browning x-bolt which is very similar, is stainless and weighs a few ounces less in 375H&H. It is three down instead of four. In my opinion, it feeds as well or better than the Sakos and Tikkas and has an excellent trigger. I plan to screw on a better set of sights and be good to go.

Posts: 1236 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
You can see my recent post, but I recently bought a Browning x-bolt which is very similar, is stainless and weighs a few ounces less in 375H&H. It is three down instead of four. In my opinion, it feeds as well or better than the Sakos and Tikkas and has an excellent trigger. I plan to screw on a better set of sights and be good to go.

Glad you like your X-bolt. It's very gratifying to hunt with a rifle that suits ones taste to a T.
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:

- short fluted barrel, barrel band swivel mount, Recknagel sights, synthetic stock, weighs 7-pounds, holds 6-rounds. Looks like a good all-rounder for about anything/anywhere.

Sorry it took so long to get back, but I promised I'd give an update on the New Sako "Black Bear" 9.3x62. Everything worked out with a limited number of 20 rifles special ordered with an expected delivery date this December. I have my order in to reserve 1 of those 20. If anyone is interested, contact Alex Roy to get your name in the hat to reserve one of the remaining. By the time the order comes in, they may all be spoken for and gone.

Best Smiler

Alex Roy
www.eurooptic.com
439 Crawford Alley
Montoursville, PA 17754
+1 570 220 3159
Fax +1 570 368 3923

Nice working rifle for the bush.
The 9,3x66 does not really offer an upgrade imho.

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
I just reserved one with Jason- it looks like just what I want....

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It finally came in and I gave it a cursory look over night before last. Far better than I had expected, very impressive rifle that appears near perfect for what I wanted in a 9.3x62. I'm going to run the rifle with Optilock Ringmounts and a Schmidt Bender Zenith 1.1-4x24. Alex Roy did a great job getting the Black Bear into the States when no one else could, I'm pleased.

I'll try and post a photo review of the rifle when I get a chance to sit down and spend some time with it. I'm thinking she'll turn out to be a stellar rig.

Alex brought in some of the Black Bears in .308 and 30-06 as well as the 9.3x62. Not sure what is left, but if you're interested, I'd give him a call.

Later Smiler

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great gun, but why on earth are the iron sights so high? Doesn't seem like they need to be that high to function.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far, I see no issue, they are outstanding. Very well thought out for an express-V, I would not want it lower as the sights are excellent in both height and in design. They come up natural, are quick, and have a great sight picture. They are some of the best Recknagels I've seen, top shelf Smiler

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
Looks like a great gun, but why on earth are the iron sights so high? Doesn't seem like they need to be that high to function.

Because with straight comb stocks most of us have a hard time getting our faces down low enough to properly acquire the sights.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

These are the sights, they are manufactured by Recknagel. Both the front and rear are adjustable with a 2mm Allen key, the rear for windage, and the front for elevation. The elevation screw for the front sight is ahead of the sight hood, and it's adjustable with the hood in place. These are some of the better, if not best factory express-V sights I've seen on a factory rifle. The sight picture is instantly crisp and clear upon shouldering the rifle, having a very comfortable natural point of aim.

Best Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle Gary.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x62. I'm a sucker for the mannlicher stock.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle i been looking at the brown bear in 375.

Matt

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I really wish Sako would put a real synthetic stock on their rifles, especially for what they are charging. I still prefer the older Sakos and they can be had much cheaper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Black Bear is half a pound lighter than expected. The standard listed weight from their prototype rifle is 7-pounds, but mine weighs in at 6 1/2 pounds with magazine box. Very pleasant surprise, the rifle appears closer to a Finnlight than to a Brown Bear. The balance and handiness is outstanding! It basically handles like a Finnlight with fixed sights. So far I'm pleased. I'll give it a shake down when I return from my trip.

Later Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,
I have had mine for two months now.
Make sure you get the extra-low optilocks. You might just have to file an angle off the rear foot to accommodate the slope of the eye-piece.
I took the Zenith off and now it is fitted with a Kahles scope.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryVA:

These are the sights, they are manufactured by Recknagel. Both the front and rear are adjustable with a 2mm Allen key, the rear for windage, and the front for elevation. The elevation screw for the front sight is ahead of the sight hood, and it's adjustable with the hood in place. These are some of the better, if not best factory express-V sights I've seen on a factory rifle. The sight picture is instantly crisp and clear upon shouldering the rifle, having a very comfortable natural point of aim.

Best Smiler

Does anyone know if these are available for aftermarket purchase in the U.S.?

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:
Gary,
I have had mine for two months now.
Make sure you get the extra-low optilocks. You might just have to file an angle off the rear foot to accommodate the slope of the eye-piece.
I took the Zenith off and now it is fitted with a Kahles scope.

I'm using the new 1-pc Optilock Ringmounts. They're lower than the 2-pc Optilock x-tra lows and are trim with minimal bulk.

Best Smiler

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle. I handled a Sako 75 Deluxe in a gun shop about 10 years ago. Man, what a fine rifle. I'll own one some day, it's on my bucket list Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

The one piece optilocks are not available here, do you have an address where I could buy them online ?

Thanks in advance

Bobby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta USA imports these ringmounts into the U.S., and they are sold through Beretta USA themselves as well as through Brownell's and most dealers of Sako rifles and Sako parts. Brownell's has International sales, maybe you could go through them. Otherwise, I'd think that the Sako dealer you go through should be able to easily order a set.

Best Smiler