New
Find
Notify
Tools

rechamber 300 dakota to 300WM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With brass being difficult to find I wonder if I can rechamber my 300 Dakota to 300WM without having to build up the bolt face. I realize I would have to set the barrel back, but I am not to sure about the face. Thanks, Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
sell the dakota and buy a 300 win imho
or buy a new bolt and a pre chambered barrel

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27596 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
With brass being difficult to find I wonder if I can rechamber my 300 Dakota to 300WM without having to build up the bolt face

Real hard to get there from here. The shoulder of the Dakota is basically the same size as the base of the 300 Wmag so you would need to set the barrel back the entire chamber. Unless the barrel is straight doubtful there is enough shank even before you talk about the bolt.

Just curious as to why? The Dakota has a little more cpacity and can loaded down to Wmag but not the other way around.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Keep looking for brass and when you find it stock up.

You'll still come out cheaper than reworking a bolt and re-barreling a rifle. And IMO, doing that to a Dakota will just hurt it's value.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure I will keep the Dakota and keep shooting it, I love the cartridge and I hav'nt gone through a lot of brass but when I could not get any from a couple of sources the other day it got me thinking about "what if".
I had not thought through how much you would have to set the barrel back, your right I would have to rebarrel. Thanks Shayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to all concerned, I understand shaynes thoughts due to lack of 300 Dakota brass. I had a project in process to be a 300 Dakota when all of the craziness at Dakota began. Long story short there isn't any 300 Dakota brass, and I don't think there will be for at least a year....

I really like the dynamics of the Dakota cartridges, and my 300 Dakota project ended up becoming a 7 Dakota, and I have brass already for it!

If someone knows of a source for a couple hundred pieces of 300 Dakota brass, I would turn one of my rifles into a 300 Dak.

Good Luck shayneC, if I was you, I would stand pat, but rechambering to something based of the 404 Jefferey case would be where to start I would think......

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Luck shayneC, if I was you, I would stand pat, but rechambering to something based of the 404 Jefferey case would be where to start I would think......

what about the .300 RUM

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I believe the 300rum has a rebated case head.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Find more brass. 500 should last a lifetime or 200 for that matter.

Another idea is to have even a hundred brass for the dakota and do the majority of your practicing with a rifle that has more available brass.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Find more brass. 500 should last a lifetime or 200 for that matter

I set each of my rifles up with 100 cases (except my varmint & Ar15) I then cycle through the 100. For most of my rifles those 100 cases last a lifetime. While I know it isn't a cheap answer you can make the 300 from it's bigger brothers.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Can't be done. I have a 7mmDakota & love the Dakota carts. Just lay in 100 or so rounds & it should last you for many years of shooting. You can probably make suitable practice brass from RUM cases, but that woul dbe a PITA. If you can find 7mmDakota or 330Dakota brass, you can neck up/down & have brass that way too. G&S has both, so does Midway: http://www.grafs.com/metallic/612 http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=1&Cat...=9315***652***670*** If you are really that worried, sell the rifle off & buy something else. The Dakota rifles are worth a bit of cash.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota list brass on there web sight, so they must have it. 500 or so cases would set you back around 815 plus shipping. Cartridges like the dakota's while the Idea is sound, I have a 330 that I built on a Ruger # 1, I bough all my cases from dakota. Back when A-Square was making it for them, then Mast and I guess unless things have changed again Norma is making the brass. Or you could buy 404 Jeffery cases and trim and fire form. Just go to Dakota and buy 200 to 500 of it and that will see you thru a life time. I bought 200 cases for my 330 and I can tell you that since I had the gun made, 1994 at that time I bough 100 cases, and I am still using the first 20 or so. The cases last a very long time. After 10 loadings I had a friend , cut one in half to check for wear and one unfired case and we had a hard time telling by measurment. So I just shoot the rifle, and keep good records. I still have 17 of those first 20 the two I cut and one that I lost in Montana when I needed to make a quick second shot. Thats about 13 or so years. At this rate, The cases I have will last longer than me. Case live may be different for a bolt gun. Also I don't push the loads either.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
300 Dakota brass for sale here

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/872104067

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need brass, try Huntington's in Oroville, CA. They generally have any brass that you might need.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 Dakota that is built on a Remington 30 S action and it is one of my favorites! It shoots like a target rifle and is a pleasure to shoot.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have stated they can be made from 404 Jeff. or RUM brass. I have used both of these and also factory ( MAST and Norma ). The RUM brass is the one to use and it will last the longest from my experience. IMO If you don't need it right away save yourself the hassle don't bother just wait for the Dakota brass when it becomes available.
bigbull

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote