Find
Notify
Tools

Cheapest way to get a .338-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
How do you do it on a budget? Can you re-chamber an old '06?

Finding one used would seem obvious but is harder that I though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan Pedersen wil recut and chamber you barrel for about $300+. http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I think Shaw chambers that round for like $150.00 in Chrome Moly...

Adams and Bennett may also have some barrels at Midway in that chambering.. they have carried it in the past...

Mine is a bored out 270....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$200 Savage model 110 in 30-06 or 270, any pawn shop will have 3 of them.

Barrel on sale this month.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=631476

Go and no go gages. On sale.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=763039&t=11082005
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=783393&t=11082005

Barrel nut wrench. also on sale.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=288765

You also need a barrel vise and/or an action wrench. It is a fairly easy diy job, but if its your only one, pay a gunsmith to do it.

A 30-06 would need a different barrel to become a 338-06. Ask a gunsmith to quote you a price to rebarrel your 30-06.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pac-Nor is pretty reasonable. I haven't used them but a friend of mine sure recommends them. Looks like less than $500 for barrel installed on your action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I did: took a 20 year old Savage 110 chambered in a .30-06 and sent it to ER Shaw (http://www.ershawbarrels.com/) for a 24 inch .338 stainless steel barrel with 2.5 contour. Total cost was less than $300 which included removal of the barrel nut, installation of new barrel, test firing new barrel and delivery.

If you have an old .30-06 lying around, this is your best bet.

I'm very happy with it. Very, very accurate. It was a pleasure to do business with them. Turn around time is about 100 days though.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Call ITD http://itdcustomgun.com/_wsn/page6.html
They will sell you a douglas barreled action with a Daly or M98 action or can rebarrel and blue your own action for around $300.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wayfaring Stranger, If you Reload, you can use the "Starting Loads" in a 338WinMag and you have the equivalent of a 338-06. Then if you want to move up just a bit, it is no real problem to do.

I was teaching a young fellow to Reload about 10 years ago and he wanted nothing to do with a 338WinMag and bought a 338-06. It was a nice re-barrelled Mouser rifle and shot OK. I was flipping through a Manual and noticed the difference in the actual Loads wasn't too much.

When I mentioned it to him, he told me he had a 338WinMag as a Teen and it was way too much Recoil for him. In a couple of months he was shooting the 338-06 at it's Safe MAX without a problem.

He then swapped into a really accurate 338WinMag M700SS and now uses Safe MAX Loads in it with no problem.

Just another option for you if you Reload.

Best of luck to you on whatever you get.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Rebarreling an 06 w/ a bbl. from ER Shaw is probably the cheapest. Great cartridge for most big game hunting.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The suggestion to get a Savage 110 and pick up an A&B barrel from Midway will be the absolute cheapest way. A friend just went that way using a Stevens 200 from Wal-Mart. He's happy.
I already had a left-hand 110 and just ordered the barrel as another friend had done. We're all very happy with these inexpensive rifles even though each of us has a couple of high value ones to shoot.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have a GREAT fn action in the classifieds .. ab doesn't make 9,3 at this time... but you can get a barrel on gunbroker cheao cheap, and the guy selling the can rebarrel it.. find an interarms take off stock, or a BC/fajen/ramline

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Wayfaring Stranger, If you Reload, you can use the "Starting Loads" in a 338WinMag and you have the equivalent of a 338-06. Then if you want to move up just a bit, it is no real problem to do.

I was teaching a young fellow to Reload about 10 years ago and he wanted nothing to do with a 338WinMag and bought a 338-06. It was a nice re-barrelled Mouser rifle and shot OK. I was flipping through a Manual and noticed the difference in the actual Loads wasn't too much.

When I mentioned it to him, he told me he had a 338WinMag as a Teen and it was way too much Recoil for him. In a couple of months he was shooting the 338-06 at it's Safe MAX without a problem.

He then swapped into a really accurate 338WinMag M700SS and now uses Safe MAX Loads in it with no problem.

Just another option for you if you Reload.

Best of luck to you on whatever you get.

believe me- the though has crossed my mind. The appeal of the 338-06 is that its a wildcat (I've never had one), its a neat, efficiant cartridge (whatever that's worth!?) and it shoots well out of shorter barrels.

Also I though .338 can't be loaded down anymore than 3-4% from max, is that correct?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
The suggestion to get a Savage 110 and pick up an A&B barrel from Midway will be the absolute cheapest way. A friend just went that way using a Stevens 200 from Wal-Mart. He's happy.
I already had a left-hand 110 and just ordered the barrel as another friend had done. We're all very happy with these inexpensive rifles even though each of us has a couple of high value ones to shoot.

You can change the barrells on those yourself, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
$200 Savage model 110 in 30-06 or 270, any pawn shop will have 3 of them.

Barrel on sale this month.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=631476

Go and no go gages. On sale.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=763039&t=11082005
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=783393&t=11082005

Barrel nut wrench. also on sale.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=288765

You also need a barrel vise and/or an action wrench. It is a fairly easy diy job, but if its your only one, pay a gunsmith to do it.

A 30-06 would need a different barrel to become a 338-06. Ask a gunsmith to quote you a price to rebarrel your 30-06.

thnaks for the links - this does seem to be the cheapest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
Also I though .338 can't be loaded down anymore than 3-4% from max, is that correct?
Nothing at all wrong with a 338-06, it just isn't quite as versitle as the 338WinMag.

You are correct to be concerned about going "too low" with some of the Slow Powders. No need to reinvent the old Secondary Explosion Effect. But if you use a bit Faster Powders whose Loads have been Tested by one of the Manufacturers, you can reach some fairly slow Velocities.

Go to the Hodgdon Web Site and you can see they have some fairly slow Loads with H4895, the IMR site will have slow Loads shown with their "SR" Powders and even the Speer Manual has a couple of "SR" Powder Loads that are really slow. Lyman is also an excellent source.

If you want a 338-06, that is what you should get. But if you know a buddy who has taken proper care of a 338WinMag and he needs to sell it, don't let it get away from you.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
big bonus on the savage method, is you could also buy other calibers in the same contour and have you a nice switch barrel rifle! sharpshootersupply.com has a lot of wildcat/off beat caliber barrels for savages at a good price. most barrel makers also have ready-to-go savage barrels in a dazzling array of chambers

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get your self an interarms MK 10 for about 250.00 around here. Get an adams and bennet barrel for usually about 85.00. Pay to have it head spaced and you might have to open your barrel channel a little.
But I should think you could do it allo for about 400.00, or mabye a little more...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Extra barrels and the Savage 110/Stevens 200 are like Lays Potato Chips...betcha can't have just one! If you have the long action (110), you can have long or short cartridges used in it. I have .22-250, .22BR, and .243 barrels for one rifle used for varminting. Another has .25-06, .30-06, and .338-06 sporter barrels. All you need is a vise and barrel nut wrench.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this; Buy whatever 30-06 your budget will allow; the load 200 or 220 grain bullets about as fast as they will go (most 30-06's shoot well at near maximun in my experience). You now have the equivalent of a .338-06 because most 338-06 shooters only shoot 200,210, or 225 grain bullets. 200 and 220 grain .30 caliber bullets have a higher sectional density as a bonus.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The appeal of the 338-06 is that its a wildcat (I've never had one), its a neat, efficiant cartridge (whatever that's worth!?) and it shoots well out of shorter barrels.

The 338-06 has not been a wildcat for some time now since A-Square legitimized it. Weatherby sells the correct headstamped brass, although I think Norma makes them. Headstamp is: 338-06 A-Sq

I have no idea why the box says Weatherby magnum.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
The appeal of the 338-06 is that its a wildcat (I've never had one), its a neat, efficiant cartridge (whatever that's worth!?) and it shoots well out of shorter barrels.

The 338-06 has not been a wildcat for some time now since A-Square legitimized it. Weatherby sells the correct headstamped brass, although I think Norma makes them. Headstamp is: 338-06 A-Sq

I have no idea why the box says Weatherby magnum.

Good point, but its obscure and for that, attractive. Big Grin