Find
Notify
Tools

Tempting rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I simply cannot justify it as I already have a fine 1903 Springfield, but a fellow on the Texas Hunting Forum has a Remington 721 in .300 H&H for sale. I've always wanted a 721 -- and an H&H. But boy, brass is scarce for the old Holland these days, and there is that damned Walker trigger issue with the 721s.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16470 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
just a rebarrel away from the .244 h&h i wanna make...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I had a 721 in 300 H&H. Lon Paul fitted and reconfigured a Boyd's stock for me. I could have gotten along with that one rifle for everything less than Cape buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12898 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of those 721 .300 H&H's were really accurate, especially for the day.

Posts: 729 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill,
I wager you are mature enough (I detest the word "old") to know there is absolutely no place for justification when it comes to firearms. The same applies to "need". None of us "need" more than one rifle in .30-06. Anything else is extra. If you want, as opposed to need, an M721 in .300 H&H, go for it! And, there's nothing wrong with the trigger that good gun maintenance cannot cure.
Roger

Posts: 476 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about ammo. 60 pieces of brass would last a lifetime for a hunting rifle.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Bill- You’re a stand up guy. Buy the rifle and I’ll send you this bag of virgin brass.

Posts: 7505 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 721 in .300 H&H once. Nice rifle and an excellent shooter. But when I examined the serial number with a magnifying glass it was clear that it had been altered. Didn't want any part of that, so I sent it down the road with a guy who wasn't so bothered with little details as I. Just make sure the one you're looking at isn't the same one that passed through my hands a decade or so ago.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It’s 300 H&H time for you. It was almost that time for me. I got a really pretty 1917 Enfield sporter with the original barrel rechambered to 300 Weatherby Magnum. I bought it with the idea of rebarreling in .300 H&H…then I fell under the spell of the 6.5-300 Weatherby. I’ll get the Holland and Holland built on a Remington Model 30 Express.

Posts: 7505 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Drowning in a sea of enabling here ... Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16470 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somebody offer up a set of dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill: Thanks for the books, and my opinion is ; get the 721! I owned one years ago and always regretted getting rid of it. I coveted one as a kid $69.95 from parker distributors. Cheers luke

Posts: 357 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigluke,

They were in Yonkers or nearby. Bought my first Leupold 3-9X scope there! Price $63.50
Price there was cheaper as N.Y. had laws that made you pay the MSRP. Other places if you bought a rifle you had to pay full price and negotiate with the proprietor to throw in a box of ammo, a sling or a gun case. That was in around 63-64.

Hip

Posts: 1845 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i likely have some cool 168gr lapua bullets in my storage ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38544 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm in talks with the seller, a pretty serious Model 70 collector. Nice kid. (He's in his early 50s.) Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
We need more enablers here.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Graf and Sons has four different brands of FL dies in stock. Smiler

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 300H&H in the Boddington model Ruger #1. It's my go to rifle and has been for about 13 years. Brass? Yeah, you might need to look a bit every once in awhile but I've never had a problem finding it. Buy a 100 or so when you find it and you'll likely never be without.

A 180gr TTSX bullet stuffed in front at 2,090fps and you're good to go nearly anywhere. My very first post on AR back in 2011 was my leopard hunt with CMS in Makuti, using this very rifle / bullet combo. Cat was dead under the tree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one at our filer gun show with a 4x12 Leupold AND IT WAS CLEAN, for $600 and sold it on AR or GI for 1200, I had a Mod 70 pre 64 for years in a 300 H&H, Its a much better caliber than it gets credit for surrounded by BS artists that dont know how to load it and other such false claims

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I think you got your velocity wrong.i get more like 2900 plus plus and 2800 with an 06

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he got it wrong too.

I held a pre-64 used and well,, used model 70 in 300 H&H once.
just couldn't put the what they wanted for it plus how bad I wanted one together and get two.
ain't seen one in person since.

Posts: 4986 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep. Most definitely got it wrong. Bit of dyslexia evidently.

The correct number is 2,900 fps. Thanks for catching that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get detailed pics of the gun before you buy! Make sure it hasn't been messed with. Only all original ones command high prices. The Walker Trigger is no big deal. It is a fine trigger if kept free of "gunk". My advice is to disassemble it and clean in 91% isopropyl alcohol. Reassemble and lube with a good gun oil.

Posts: 3694 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 721 that I had rebored to a 35 Whelen from a 270, Its nice. I added a Timney trigger/safety. I like the 721 and 722 Rem..

I prefer the mod 70 and control feed pre 64s, but made an exception in this case. I don't hunt DG anymore and never been charged by an elk.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You could not give me a Remington rifle if you showed up at my front door with charitable intentions proffering one in pristine condition.

But I do own a .300 H&H Mag. and that is another story. Big Grin

The brass is not all that hard to come by although it can be somewhat pricy. Kind of like .300 RUM in that regard.

Great classic caliber.

Should have been against the law to chamber it in an accountant-designed and drab looking Remington.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13439 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well…I mean…you know…Remington Model 30 Express.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and the rolling blocks, too. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13439 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Well it is mine now, BWHAHAHAHA!
The stock has seen better days but the bore looks pristine. Date code indicates April of 1950, and it is wearing an old El Paso Weaver K4. Cool

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I’ll get the brass in the mail.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhh ...
And thanks Lee!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job Bill, a fun caliber that a number of Africans still swear by for buffalo and even elephants. I was after a big Kudu some years ago and ran into a wounded buffalo and rolled him up in a ball with a 180 gr Nosler, He had a poachers 12 ga slug in his neck and the entrance wound was terribly infected.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. You did that buffalo a favor.

– John Green, author