THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What .30 cal cartridge chambering for a custom rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What .30 cal cartridge chambering for a custom rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for an All-Weather Stainless Steel, Kevlar-fiberglass-composite type stocked model 70 custom. Weight around 7.5-8.5 pounds bare- in 300 Win.Mag., H&H or Wea. or Jarett chamber. Heard some things about a .300 Dakota too.25" barrel, no longer and no shorter

It would be my primary hunting rifle to hunt the world. Main focus Canadian and Alaskan species: Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Elk, Black Bear, occassional interior Grizzly, all African plains game (though on Eland I'll probably use a .375).

Which listed Cartridge and why? I will mainly use 200gr. premium bullets. I might try the occassional 165-168gr. for Sheep and Caribou.

Also, will consider improving the chambers of some of these if it makes sense at all. Again, I need someone with experience on this please.

Thank you again gentlemen.

Question:
I am looking for an All-Weather Stainless Steel, Kevlar-fiberglass-composite type stocked model 70 custom. Weight around 7.5-8.5 pounds bare- in 300 Win.Mag., H&H or Wea. or Jarett chamber. Heard some things about a .300 Dakota too.25" barrel, no longer and no shorter

It would be my primary hunting rifle to hunt the world. Main focus Canadian and Alaskan species: Moose, Caribou, Sheep, Elk, Black Bear, occassional interior Grizzly, all African plains game (though on Eland I'll probably use a .375).

Which listed Cartridge and why? I will mainly use 200gr. premium bullets. I might try the occassional 165-168gr. for Sheep and Caribou.

Also, will consider improving the chambers of some of these if it makes sense at all. Again, I need someone with experience on this please.

Thank you again gentlemen.

Choices:
300 H&H Magnum
300 Winchester Magnum
300 Weatherby Magnum
300 Dakota
300 Jarrett

Posts: 26 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Just .30-06, but from your choices, .300 win mag, because it is classic and can do everything .30 cal can do . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Brooks, the WBY, is an "improved" .300h&h. The Dakota is based on a shortened & improved .404 jeffery. Brass is available for the Dakota, I have a 7mm Dakota & really like it. If you were going classic african express rifle on a M70, I would have voted .300h&h. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much difference there, but I'd choose the WinMag. Ammo everywhere if something happens to your checked luggage, and it's popular enough you may even have some choices, some with premium bullets.

The others don't offer enough advantages to offset the disadvantage of finding ammunition in an emergancy.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Magnum action and a 25" barrel? To me that screams 300 Wby.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My vote was 300 Win but 2nd choice would be the Weatherby. When hunting around the world it seems logical to pick something available anywhere in the world.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .300 Weatherby Magnum. Ammo is available world wide on top of being a class act. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I primarily hunt with the 300 Win. Mag., and have for many years. It's my favorite all-around cartridge, and I don't see any solid reason to go with anything else in this cartridge class. It's inherently accurate, recoil and muzzle blast are reasonable, ammo and brass is widely available world-wide (more than any other 300), barrel life is significantly longer that most other 300s, and there are no throating issues related to finest-accuracy versus high-pressure factory ammo (as is the case with the 300 Wby.) to sort out, etc. The 300 Win. Mag. is very easy to work with gives you all you need out of the 308 bore size, period, with a minimum of hassle.

As to the others:

The 300 H&H is great, but ammo and brass are not that available, and the romance factor of old British cartridges is mostly lost on me, especially if it comes at the expense of logistics.

300 Weatherby is excellent, but, as previously mentioned, you must throat your rifle to work best with either factory ammo (longer throat) or else handlands. Kicks harder than 300 Win., shorter barrel life, ammo is not as widely distributed, etc., No practical difference in real-world velocity or effect on game.

300 Dakota: I don't like the price of the ammo or the brass, I dislike its extremely limited availability, and I resent the anti-belt propaganda that Dakota has resorted to as a marketing ploy.

300 Jarrett: A vanity cartridge that serves no constructive purpose other than make you dependent upon Jarrett Rifles for your ammo and brass requirements. Try finding this stuff in Jo-Burg..........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi BR....

My favorite is not listed... the 300 RUM... probably a little faster or close to the Weatherby Magnum. It hits like the hammer of thor...

Mine shoots factory ammo Remington Nosler 180 and 200 grain Nosler, both point of aim, and both sub MOA. From 300 RUM shooters I know... they just seem to really shoot well.

This is my go to rifle, has taken 14 head of African Plains Game, Bull Elk, and even Coyotes.

This is a rock stock Remmie with a trigger job... thats all. And yes I do have two full blown custom rifles, one over the $3500 mark and the other over the $5000 mark, with two semi customs in there around the $2500 mark.

Regards.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum308
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 300 Win Mag, but only because there was not a choice for the .308 Norma Mag or 30/338 WM. These are the real classic short belted magnums and the rest have been playing catch up ever since, except the .300H&H of course.

Cheers & God bless,
Magnum308

Only accurate rifles are interesting

Posts: 34 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I voted for the .300 win mag. Winchester's version of the .300 is just a nice package of accuracy,power,versatility,ease of reloading and shooting, and recoil. The Weatherby and others seem to change one of those factors listed too much to justify them unless you truly want a rifle with an identity in the locker.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I voted and built mine in a .300 H&H No stainless/synthetic on this gun.

I've heard and understand why some absolutely need to be able to buy factory ammo in a pinch.

Mine hunts close enough to home for this not to be a problem.

I've got a factory .300WinMag (stainless/synthetic) If I should ever go globetrotting for game I would probably take it. Nothing special about it except it's very reliable and accurate. Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
The nostalgia in me says 300 H&H, but I would have to vote for the 300 Win Mag also from a practical point. Besides ammo being plentiful I have never seen one that couldn't be made to shoot very well with little effort. I have seen some 300 Weatherbys that were a bit more fussy about their ammo than the average 300 Win Mag.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 win mag plenty of power for any animal in N. America less the browm bears thumb

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 300 H&H and with heavy bullets, 200 and 220 gr. it will surpass all but the 300 Wby due to the case capacity not being intruded on by the bullet...It has served me well over the years and I see little reason to change, I shot a 300 Wby for a time, but sold it and went back to shooting my 300 H&H...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
The .300 Weatherby Magnum. Ammo is available world wide on top of being a class act. Lawdog
thumb

Ditto, plus I like the Weatherby action better than most.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted for and use a 300 Dakota and believe it to be the best choice for a high velocity standard length cartridge. If practicality is your main concern then I would choose the 300 Win.Mag. I don't care for the long bolt throws of the H&H or the Wby or UM for that matter. And yes I like my cases without a belt!
bigbull

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote