THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    32-20, 256 Win Mag, 327 Fed in a rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

32-20, 256 Win Mag, 327 Fed in a rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
There are quite a few titanium shoulders in our family, and quite a few toddler aged girls.

Was thinking it would be cool to have a little contender rifle in some kind of little pistol cartridge that would work on things like javelina, bobcats, and such that the girls would also enjoy shooting.

Thinking about buying a G2 Contender and a youth stock to get set up.

Anyone else do this?

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never done that, but it's a hellova good idea. i have a 256 in a martini cadet. it is quite a good combo. only problem is ammo or if you load it brass. you can make it out of 357, but it's a pita.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 256 is really cool, what bullets do you shoot out of it?

I saw that Bullberry or Match Grade Machine is making 256 Maximum barrels.

Hell a 357 Max or Mag in a 21 inch barreled Conteder would be neat.

I think Hornady makes a polimer tipped bullet for it.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Start with a barn door hinge, fashion it into a pistol, then put a longer barrel and an awkward clubby stock on it and call it a rifle. That's what the T/C has always seemed to me to be.

Instead, find a neat old Winchester Model 43 or Savage Sporter (later called model 23) in .25-20 or .32-20. Both are repeaters and have a lot more class than the T/C.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a TC in 357 max with a 16.5 inch barrel carbine as a starter deer rifle for several young person all have love it

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 32-20 has a strong TC following.. used to be published tc only loads, with .308 bullets

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38515 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would buy an NEF in either 22 Hornet or maybe in a .223, then have someone do a trigger job on it and cut the stock for the girls. Replacement stocks are cheap, and the little NEF I have in K-Hornet (I had it reamed..,) is almost a one-hole rifle at 100 yard with my own handloads. They are heavy rifles and recoil is virtually non-existent.

You would be out somewhere around $375-$400, less if you can cut the stock yourself and grind the butt plate down...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I had wanted a lever action to go along with my Single Six .32 H&R. Problem was, Marlin hadn't made one yet and converting one was hit or miss as to feeding.

I had EA Brown make me a .32 H&R on their 97D rifle. It was been a real joy. I loaded up some rifle only loads that will send a 115 gr LCG out the barrel at 2000 fps. But it is just as much fun to shoot 100 grainers at 1200 fps.

Now that I have a Single Seven I may need to rechamber.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Contenders. The work great for what you are asking. The modular design allows stocks to be changed to suit size of shooter, adults may want to use it and a turn of a screw and it has a longer stock
Any of the cartridges you suggest would be good. A 22LR barrel is very good for first shooter and a larger cartridge barrel can be swapped for bigger game.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna single shot 32-20:

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were to only pick one or two of the little pistol calibers which ones would you pick?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
32-20 with a 0.308 barrel. This is a standard configuration for the silhouette shooters.
Brass is available, it can be seasonal so by a bunch when it is around. .308 gives a wider selection of bullets than the 312.

Mark

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stick a 100gr cast, or the Laser-Cast offerings in a 32-20 case at about 1000fps, and be sure to load about 200 rounds per girlchild.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:Instead, find a neat old Winchester Model 43 or Savage Sporter (later called model 23) in .25-20 or .32-20. Both are repeaters and have a lot more class than the T/C.

I happen to own a Winchester Model 43 (Deluxe) in .25-20 Winchester. What I did is re-chamber it to the .25-20 Improved to where it looks like a .218 Bee necked-up to .25 Caliber. Results of re-chamber my .25-20 to .25-20 Imp. has been a great improvement in accuracy, bring it close to .256 Win. Magnum ballistics.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
stick a 100gr cast, or the Laser-Cast offerings in a 32-20 case at about 1000fps, and be sure to load about 200 rounds per girlchild.

I chose the 32 H&R because it is much easier to reload for. Carbide dies instead of lubed steel.

I load 100 grainers to the same velocities. These days, it is almost as inexpensive to load these as it is to purchase .22 LR's. Certainly easier to find.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
32-20 and I'd just stay at .312-.313, but that's me. Back when I could shoot the 32-20 for nearly the same as 22 LR. These days I can shoot the 32-20 cheaper...but you have to cast your own and have bought lead in quantity when it was 15 cents a pound.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old FYI !! Many years ago and for much the same reasons I had a 38 special rifle made for my wife.
tu2 It was made on a Ruger #3 action and wore a Dougles 16.5" bull barrel.It was deadly accurate as my wife could hit a 1/4" red dot at 50 yds. every time. My wife and a # of other women since have attested to it,s mild kick.
Perhaps not prudent but found it could safely handle .357 loads with no problem .
Simpler for ammo and a little more energy. Just a thought. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 256 in a Marlin lever action years ago. It was a sweetheart.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a 256...I have a 32-20 and it is a sweetheart. My kids use a encore in a 223 though...I have a 1-8 twist and shoot heavy for caliber, and it does well for the kids...also a suppressed 300 blk out does some work too...for a stand gun...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
You could also look for a Model 23 Savage in 25 or 32-20. There are some vey nice ones still available and they shoot very accurately. In the 32 I shoot a 100 grain Hornady with 13 grains of IMR4227 nice mild accurate load. In the 25 I shoot 10 grains of 2400 with a 75 grain bullet, very accurate, and good enough for jackrabbits out to 125 yards or so.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote