Notify
Tools

lucky,great shot,orB.S.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
For once Kstephens sez something I agree with.
244, 242, 245, 242. They didn't have "PET" waaay back when I was in.

you are obviously getiing smarter...
Big Grin
Semper Fi

By the way, I wanted to shoot for score but they made me PET for known distance. Then told me it didnt count as a "4th award" on my Expert badge. My pistol Badge was a 4th Award hanger and it looked bad w/ 3rd on my rifle.
My SRB shows the truth, not my chest. thumb

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
SakoTRG .338Lapua shot with hunting ammo at 200meters. This group is shot by another member on our forum.

Its time to rise the flag.... holycow

That's some good shooting...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
God has a hard-on for marines because we
kill everything we see!
He plays His games, we play ours!
To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls!

KS: You a Scout Sniper? I just returned from a wedding at LeJeune where my best friend's son was married. He's a retired LtC Scout Sniper and if you were ver stationed up there, he was also the owner of Flatwoods Outfitters in Hubert. S-F Marine! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But since I'm such a coward I did find this so I'll publicly admit here to vindication for you and an apology regarding the exact use of the word "junk" and also my response to that a few posts below that one, but as to the rest, I'll stick by what I said:

As I have maintained,I never used the word "junk" or posted that weatherby rifles had poor fit or finish.Every post that you linked contains pretty much the same opinions from me based on actually owning mark V rifles.I posted then,and I maintain that while the vanguard offers great value for the money,I believe that although the mark V is a s good a rifle as many others, since it costs so much more,it should offer much more to be considered a good value.I was also disappointed in the accuracy of the mark V rifles that I owned,but nowhere did I post that all mark Vs were inaccurate.I also feel that for the price,the mark Vs should come with a better accuracy guarantee since 1-1/2" for three shots at 100 yards is easily accomplished with most modern bolt actions.
As for being a Weatherby basher,how can that be,since I have always posted good things about the vanguard.Wouldn't a weatherby basher bash all weatherby guns?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
God has a hard-on for marines because we
kill everything we see!
He plays His games, we play ours!
To show our appreciation for so much power, we keep heaven packed with fresh souls!

KS: You a Scout Sniper? I just returned from a wedding at LeJeune where my best friend's son was married. He's a retired LtC Scout Sniper and if you were ver stationed up there, he was also the owner of Flatwoods Outfitters in Hubert. S-F Marine! jorge

i was a 5811 MP with SRT. The Garrison version of a police sniper.
I was a roofer. Wink

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:
I've written on the surprising accuracy of my lone Weatherby several times during the past several years. It's a Wby Ultra Lt Wt in .280 Rem that I traded into several years ago at a gun show. Mounted a Leupold 2.5-8X and proceeded to shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds with Federal Gold Medal 150 NP ammo.

At 200 yds, off the bench, with handloads or Federal 150 NP's it will shoot into 1" to 1.2" regularly, for THREE shots. BUT it has also shot 3 at 200 yds into microscopically under 1" groups; .970" , .990" etc. So I could say it shoots under an inch at 200. So there ARE a few untouched, factory Wby's that CAN shoot.

Dr K mentioned a bragger who could hit a beer can at 400 yds or something. We had a local bar owner who went on and ON about his Weatherby's and the insane LR game shots he made REGULARLY. One day the group of us had enough and we called him out to prove it.

Long story short......This guys 400 yds was basically two hundred. And his idea of a 1" group was closer to 2". He and his .30=.378 didn't make very many hits at a REAL four hundred yds. he was so demoralized I felt a slight bit sorry for him.

FN in MT

its very hard to get an accurate distance guess out in the field. looking on flats looks alot further than across a gully out onto a sunny face. looking from a light area to a dark area also confuses the matter. the only way to do it accuratly is with a range finder.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the Weatherby 1 and 1/2" guarantee, with their factory ammo, is a joke. I've never owned a weatherby and I do not have anything against them.

For roughly the same ball park of money you can have an H-S Precision with a 1/2" guarantee if I recall.

I did learn something today that could make a substantial difference to some who used to own a Weatherby prior to 1999, and were disappointed with it.

Since about 1999, Weatherby has been using Criterion barrels (sorry if this is old news, but it just shows what I know about the company), which is a subsidiary of Krieger. They are pull button rifled barrels and handlapped.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since about 1999, Weatherby has been using Criterion barrels (sorry if this is old news, but it just shows what I know about the company), which is a subsidiary of Krieger. They are pull button rifled barrels and handlapped.

They have been using these barrels on some,but not all models.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:

They have been using these barrels on some,but not all models.

Correct. As I understood it, they are used on all but the Vanguards. I'm pretty sure that is what I was told today by Weatherby.

I do want to qualify my earlier remark about the Weatherby Guarantee being a joke. Not a slam against Weatherby but I've had MANY factory rifles, including Ruger, that would do that good or better with factory Federal and Winchester stuff. So, I guess I'm not certain why the guarantee is offered. I would hope that most factory rifles would be able to do that with SOME form of factory ammo.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sambar 9.3:
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
SakoTRG .338Lapua shot with hunting ammo at 200meters. This group is shot by another member on our forum.

Its time to rise the flag.... holycow

That's some good shooting...

Thanks Big Grin

That rifle is dead accurate and can shoot groups like this all day long, if the shooter is up to the job.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm sure they shoot better than some semi-custom 700s,
Hey Non-Hacker, Then by that comment, some would not shoot as well as the Remingtons and you have said nothing of value.

quote:
and he doesn't have to worry about handles falling off, unsafe safeties and sheet metal extractors.
Are you speaking from first-hand experience or simply blowharding stuff you really do not understand?
-----

I've had a few Weatherbys now and none have been 0.250" capable with me doing the Trigger Yanking. They all did 0.600" when I finally got a good load, when my concentration was up and when everything went right. But, mine are/were basically 1" capable rifles. Certainly not as accurate as the excellent Remingtons, but plenty accurate enough for Deer, Bear and Hogs inside 400yds.
-----

I've no idea at all if the guy in question has 3-Weatherbys that are as accurate as his claim, but I would enjoy watching him shoot them. Either way, I feel sure there would be plenty of smiles at the end. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote