THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Rem 700 Mountian LSS or Win 70 Classic Featherweight?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Mountian LSS or Win 70 Classic Featherweight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've decided on a 7MM-08 in a light weight rifle. I had kind of settled on the Rem 700 Mountain LSS but got to hold a Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight today and it sure did fit well and I really like the looks of it as well.

Winchester has a new Stainless model of their M70 Classic Featherweight that I would be interested in.

So......between these two...which way to go? Both are stainless, one has laminated stock, the other wood. Both have 22" barrels. What are the Pro's / Cons, the Good, the Bad, & the ugly of these two rifles?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Remington 700 Mountain LSS

Winchester M70 Classic Featherweight Stainless

Thanks
firstshot
------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know Remingtons are more popular, but I'd go with the Winchester. Better looks, better extraction system and the trigger is a lot easier to adjust. One other thing I like about the Winchester is the bolt handle is a bit longer. Sure makes it easier to grab on to when having to make a fast second shot. After all, we don't always make that perfect first shot.
I have the Winchester Featherweight in a push feed model chambered to the 7x57 Mauser round.
it did not shoot worth a damn when I first got it, so I ended up glass bedding it and a trigger job. Turned out the problem was a bad scope that was new in the box. The rifle will put three Nosler ballistic tips into .75" all day long and the Hornady 175 gr. round nose into .375". In fact, the only bullet it will not shoot well are Winchester's 150 gr. Power Points, but they don't shoot worth a damn in a custom Mauser 7x57 or my Ruger #1A in 7x57. My 1909 Argentine custom Mauser in .280 Rem. won't shoot that damned bullet either. It will put three Hornady 175 gr. Spire points into less than an inch though.
I do have several Remington rifles as well.
Yup! My choice is the winchester.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the trigger is a lot easier to adjust.

???

The basic Remington design is copied by everyone. It is about as easy to adjust as possible, except you do have to take it out of the stock.

I have a story posted on my website that explains how to adjust them.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Winchester if you're going to be using it in the weather it was designed for - rain and sloppy snow. The Winchester bolt can be disassembled with no tools so that you can clean any moisture out of it. The rest of the differences are mostly personal preference (2-pos safety vs. 3, push feed vs controlled, &c.)

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about rifling twist rate? The winchester has a 1 in 10 and the remington a 1 in 9 1/4. Not a whole lot of difference, but would one favor heavier bullets better than the other?

firstshot
------------------------

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Neither rifle has anything to prove. They are both reliable and both could provide a life time of hunting. I would simple shoulder both rifles and decide which one felt right in my hands. I personally like the styling, CRF and the safety on the Winchester. I'm not a big fan of laminate stocks either. That doesn't mean the Winchester is a better rifle, just what I like.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester over any Remington, EVERY TIME. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Plain and simple the ONE YOU LIKE AND WANT.
That said IMO Winchester. thumb

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
They would both work. As a collective group my Remington 700s are more accurate than my M70s.

Get the one that feels better to you.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington LSS in 260 that I sort of toyed in my head about taking it home.
Sold it before I had the chance.
I always liked how light and super good-looking that gun is.

I have a Winchester FWT at home in 257 AI.
I love it.

Based on function it is sort of a toss up.
But the Remington is really sharp.

I would have to pick it, if it were in 260 I guess.

By the way, the Winchester trigger is ABSOLUTELY NOT easier to adjust than a Remington.
It is a fine trigger, but when comparing the two I would choose the Remington.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is like making a choice between a beautiful blonde or a beautiful redhead.

Neither one is a wrong choice. If only all choices were capable of this kind of outcome.

I am a Winchester guy, but when it comes to the Remington LSS model or the CDL, Remington has finally got its act together in my book.

I prefer the claw extractor on the Winchester, but that would not be my deciding factor.
Both are beautiful rifles and you are picking an excellent caliber.

You have good tastes either way my man!

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester by a mile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the redhead and the Rem.

already have the remington, the exact one in fact

http://groups.msn.com/ThePoseyClan/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=15

, had the Winchester.

the remmington shot better out of the box,

I like the safty better on the Remington,

and I am a fan of laminated stocks, the Win. stock was pretty but It went all to hell on me after a couple seasons hunting in lotsa rain. Finish went south and had to rebed it twice and refloat the barrel channel because of stock warpage.

I have a couple different loads that are .5moa in the Remington.

On both rifles the skinny barrel heats up fast but on both the first two shots will group tight. In the Remington they are closer together with the 2nd shot almost always being .5 to the right at 100. 3rd + shots are grouped around the first 2.

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Winchester. I personally prefer their 3 position safety. I also think it is easier to operate than Rems. JMHO.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your responses, opinions, and recommendations. I chose the Remington Mountian LSS and went out and picked it up at lunch today. Beautiful gun. Sure hope it shoots as good as it looks!! I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks again!!

firstshot
---------------------------------

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPosey:
I'll take the redhead and the Rem.

already have the remington, the exact one in fact

And I already have the redhead! beer

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pics of my Rem Mtn LSS

She shoots good too!!!

firstshot
-----------------------------

posted Hide Post
+1 on the M70. The laminated stock is fugly. You can't go wrong with that Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will H:
+1 on the M70. The laminated stock is fugly. You can't go wrong with that Winchester.

Well, I guess everyone has their preferences and you are surely intitled to yours. If not, we'd all have the same guns. I happen to like the looks of the laminated stock and the Rem 700 Mtn LSS.

firstshot
----------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
does the mountain rifle have the black plastic forearm cap etc, or is it just black paint like the cdl's? Its pretty sad that you have to HOPE for black plastic--my browning has an actual rosewood tip. I am saying this based on my recent purchase of a cdl. Had to order one without seeing one from my small dealer. Black paint forend tip. It shoots about 1 1/2" groups at 80 yds--not awful but nothing to write home about. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or not.

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
It's very much a matter of taste but I'd go for the Win. and replace the wooden stock with a good aftermarket synthetic. I went with the Rem. 700 Ti in 7mm08 last July before the SS M. 70 Featherweight, and although the Ti shoots fine I wish I'd waited.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
So... I just noted that you'd made your call.
I'm sure you'll love the 700. Let us know how well it shoots and what it shoots best.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scubie02
Sorry to hear about the scope mounting holes being out of alignment on your new CDL. I didn't have any problem at all with mine.

The black forend on mine also appears to be painted. It does have a grip cap but I can't tell if it's plastic or painted wood.

holzauge

Yep...settled on the Mtn LSS. I really love it so far. Shooting great for right out of the box. I'll be trying various loads in her over the summer and will keep everyone posted on how well she shoots and what she likes.

firstshot
----------------------------------

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
15 years ago I would have thought about the Remington, but today my first chioce would be Winchester Model 70 Classic, 2nd Kimber, 3rd CZ 550, then maybe a Ruger, but not a Remington.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the M70 but that is just me.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between theese two, the Remington every time. Having said that there is only one right choice and that is the one that fits the buyer best. beer

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
scubie02

The black forend on mine also appears to be painted. It does have a grip cap but I can't tell if it's plastic or painted wood.

I shot mine at just over 100 yds the other day with another ammo, and it still does 1 1/4" or so at 100, which is fully acceptable to me for a medium caliber, and is wayyyy better than the tikka I had before this one (I tried every ammo I could find for that and the best wasn't better than maybe 2" at 75 yds, with some doing 4 and 5 inches).

Anyway, they are handsome rifles, and those little mountain rifles are awfully handy--glad you like yours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
scubie02

What kind of glass to you have on your CDL? I've got a Burris 3-9X40 on mine and I really don't know if I can shoot much better, group wise, with that magnification.

I put Leupold quick release rings and bases (QRW) on for that very reason. I do enjoy shooting for groups at the range, and plan to pick up a high power / fixed power scope for just that purpose. The QRW set up will allow me to switch from hunting to target scope and vice versa with a minimum of fuss. I do think that with better magnification I could shoot tighter groups.

Now I do realize that the Mtn LSS is NOT a benchrest/target gun, and I don't intend it to be. I just enjoy shooting at the range and trying to consistently get the tightest groups possible.

anyone

Can anyone recommend a good, "inexpensive" high/fixed power target scope? This gun is primarilly a hunting rifle, so I don't want to put a lot of money in this scope. Just want something that can get me closer to the action at the range.

firstshot
----------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
i've just got a Leupold vx ii 3-9x40 on mine, so no more magnification