THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Blaser R8...Mauser M03...Sauer 404

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R8...Mauser M03...Sauer 404
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok help me out here. Between the Blaser R8, Mauser M03, or the Sauer 404..which would you pick and why. I really want to set myself up with one of these rifle "systems" to add calibers and play around with different configurations as I go on various hunts. For whatever reason they just make sense to me and seem like a perfect solution for travel.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh shocker barf faint 2020

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and more auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh shame moon

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym don't pay attention to Butchgloc, or Mr Mossberg as he's known here :-) I use the Blaser system on all my travel hunts. The scope mounts to the barrel on the R8, so once sighted in, the scoped barrels are ready to go when needed for a particular hunt. I also like the dealer network for Blaser, although some do carry Mauser and Sauer as well. I'm not sure of the price on the new 404, or when they'll be available.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol...They grew on me over time. I can't help it. sofa

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats a good dealer to use? Ive been looking on Euro optic a little bit to try and figure out what I want but I want to make sure Im dealing with a decent company

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have owned the M03 and Blaser R93 and R8...the blaser is the most widely distributed and easiest to get components... R8 is a great system.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the M03 as its still a traditional bolt action with all same benefits of the 404 & the R8.

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blaser r8 is a no brainer and Alex at Europticis great to deal with

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the R8 is maybe the way to go...So, semi weight or standard? Should I get the semi weight and buy standard barrels in the smaller calibers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the intended use. Blaser stocks come with either Standard barrel channels or Safari. The Safari channel handles the heavier-diameter Safari, Match and Semi-Wt barrels. Many guys that are into Blasers always buy Safari channel stocks, so you can use any barrel. When a Regular contour barrel is used in a Safari stock, it just looks like it's free-floated....no big deal.

Also, for the largest calibers, like 458 Lott and 500 Jeffery, Blaser makes both wood and synthetic rifles that have solid steel receivers and built-in Kick-Stops. The extra weight makes these calibers much easier to shoot.

I have an Attache' high grade wood rifle, a safari Pro (steel receiver and Kick-Stop? in Sananna Brown, and a regular Pro also in Savanna. If I use a 300 WM or lesser caliber, I use the regular Pro, as it's much lighter.

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well...just got off the phone with Euro optic. Ive decided to fly out there and get set up on site. I want to be able to pick out a nice piece of wood and make sure I get exactly what I want.

Plus Ill get way too excited and buy twice as much as I should Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal....they're great folks. I just bought a new Beretta A400 Explor from them yesterday.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own a Mauser M 03 with 6 barrels. Soon to be 7 barrels. It is the most accurate versatile rifle I have ever owned. It is a "mans" rifles in size and fit! You don't have to send off to a gunsmith to tweak it to get it to shoot. It is accurate and reliable right out of the box!

Having said that I hope to look at a Sauer 404 this fall and will probably buy one.

I'd call Tip Burns at Blaser USA in San Antonio, Texas. He is familiar with all of these rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym,
I own a Blaser R8 with two barrels and thinking about buying more. All my barrels are semi which is and advantage if you use the weapon for training or competition. Personally I find the balance of the semi barrels brilliant, so that is the only reasons why I have them. My 9.3x62 has a short semi barrel which is very nice for driven hunts.

The Blaser mount is pretty expensive but very reliable.

So I would say you can't go wrong with a Blaser. However Mauser and Sauer are for sure good rifles, too.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a Mauser M03. I like the traditional bolt setup. I got a great deal on a wood stocked one with a 308 and 243 barrel, but traded for a 375 H&H extreme and bought a Weatherby 300 barrel as well. I like the "look" of the M03 synthetic stock better than the wood stock.

I've never used an R8 before, but it does look like a good system. If I was starting from scratch and wanting a modular rifle I might go the R8 route just because it's different and not a bolt action like everything else I own. They also tend to be more compact rifles due to the nature of the action, but you get the benefit for a long barrel and long LOP.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3046 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Mauser M03 is a rather bulky, large rifle..
If you're a big guy, thats fine.
The 404 is the way to go if you want a bolt action, but the R8 is the Champ imo.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really was leaning toward the 404, but the R8 seems to be more readily available and offers more calibers and configurations. It will take me a few weeks before I get out to euro optic and have a chance to look over everything. Maybe I'll end up with the R8 and the 404... And when I get home I'll be divorced Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Heym 450/400

The 404 has a few refinements that I like over the M 03. Bolt head release, completely adjustable trigger and the take down tool is with the rifle. Hopefully Tip Burns and I will get together and I can shoot one soon.

Too bad we don't live closer to each other you are welcome to come shoot my M 03. Take your choice, of calibers.
404 Jeffery
375 H&H
308 Suppressed- 2 barrels, one threaded.
6.5X 55
22-250
Coming soon 257 Roberts

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From The FWIW Department-
I went to the Texas Trophy Hunter's Extravaganza in Houston today. I met up with Tip Burns of Blaser and got to handle the new 404 Sauer.

I found it to be a remarkable rifle. The breakdown and adjustment tool is the the forearm sling stud. It is always with the rifle! There are 4 trigger setting that you can make. You can completely reposition the trigger and it's angle to the fit your finger!
A push of a button changes the magazine from a drop box to a top feed.
The bolt release and bolt head change switch are easier to operate than the Mauser M 03. The bolt heads of the 404 have twin ejectors and a claw that grips the case.
Barrels are changed with three screws and a lever.
The scope base release levers are a great improvement over the Mauser M 03.

The over all feel is smaller than the M 03. It is comfortable. Price in my opinion is affordable.
My views have changed over the years. I used to think custom was the best way to go. Now, at my age, I'd rather have a reliable, accurate "system" rifle that I can add to at my leisure, and be out shooting instead of waiting for years on a rifle that might have to be "tweaked" to be accurate. But that's just me.

And yes! I intend to buy one!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always been a Remington fan. Got into the Blaser R8 and it's longer length of pull and now am up to 4 stocks and 8 barrels. Dependable, fast, easy to use, safe and accurate.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left handed 404 by any chance ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Always been a Remington fan. Got into the Blaser R8 and it's longer length of pull and now am up to 4 stocks and 8 barrels. Dependable, fast, easy to use, safe and accurate.

Look for a sale on Remington's soon!

I have slowly been replacing all of my hunting rifles with the Blaser system and I've not been disappointed.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Left handed models available!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Left handed models available!

This will most likely be my first platform gun. M03 or 404 - I mock Biebs too much to buy a Blaser r8.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike,

I asked about a left hand version at the show in Dortmund when the Sauer rep gave me the 404 introduction.

He said a left hand version will be made for sure but it will probably take 3+ years.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heym 450/400

The 404 has a few refinements that I like over the M 03. Bolt head release, completely adjustable trigger and the take down tool is with the rifle. Hopefully Tip Burns and I will get together and I can shoot one soon.

Too bad we don't live closer to each other you are welcome to come shoot my M 03. Take your choice, of calibers.
404 Jeffery
375 H&H
308 Suppressed- 2 barrels, one threaded.
6.5X 55
22-250
Coming soon 257 Roberts

I have an M03 on the way with 2 barrels. I'm really interested in the 257 Roberts barrel you talk about. Is it a custom made barrel?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

LH 404 could arrive in the US as early as this fall.
I was in Isny, Germany in May and spent some time with the Sauer folks. In my estimation, the 404 is the best of all 3 brands, Blaser, Mauser and Sauer.
I own 2 R8 Blasers, a Sauer 202 and have a M03 Mauser on the way. I'm a Prostaffer for Blaser and spend a lot of time with their rifles and shotguns. It's what I hunt with and what I shoot.
I'll always have Blaser rifles but am really excited about getting a Sauer 404. I'll get the LH M03 this month.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
Yes it is!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cliff,
Yes it is!

Do you mind sharing the barrel maker's name in public or private?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sure thing Cliff.
M03 Barrels Thread by Crusher

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
thanks Rusty. This is good.
What magazine do you plan to use?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cliff, to tell you the truth, I hadn't given it any thought! LOL! Probably the 6.5X55? What are your thoughts?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
That's a good place to begin. The 7x57 would be a good mag as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the M03.. with the lowest mounts (rings), whats the max objective size?

They seem quite high.. I would guess x56 scopes fits fine on the lowest?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex 6X24 with a 50 objective mounted on low rings!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!