Find
Notify
Tools

M70 in 7X57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
Did Winchester ever chamber the FWT Classic action in 7 X 57?

I know they did the pushfeed and back in the pre-64 days.

Just wondering.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so and I doubt they will chamber the "Carolina" guns that chambering either.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. Too bad, it would be the perfect buddy for the 6.5x55. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Scott, it's true that they chambered the older pushfeed FWTs in 7x57, but not the Classic Fwts with CRF, which is what Duckear is looking for. Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

I know they did the pushfeed and back in the pre-64 days.

Just wondering.

The guys above have answered your question. But, I wanted to say is I just bought one of the new FN Model 70's from the South Carolina plant in 7-08. It's a FW model. I'd have bought one in 7x57 if they made it.
The accuracy from the new Model 70 is very good, with two loads shooting 3 shots into 1/2" groups at 100 yards, using a 20x scope for load development. My "go-to" loads for several 7x57's is 47.0 grains of H-414 with 140 grain Nosler Partitions. The new model 70 in 7-08 shoots the same bullet using 45.0 grains of H-414 just as accurately as the 7x57's with the two grains higher loading.
The other load that shoots well is the 100 grain Sierra bullet with 42.0 grains of Varget that I can use as a Coyote round.
Lots of good things I can say about the new Model 70's, especially its balance, and its trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 7X57 quite well, but I would not fret too much over the inability to find one in the controlled feed model 70.

Simply buy a short action controlled feed model
and remove the magazine block. Shorten the ejector blade accordingly and put on a featherweight 7X57 barrel.

The barrel can be a Winchester in 7X57 if you can get it. It can be a rechambered 7mm-08 or even a rebore on a 243 or 260.

My choice would be a Pac-Nor profiled to exactly match (within reason of course) the existing barrel. Same stock can be used that way.

The end result is a short actioned 7X57 model 70
which, to me, is much better than the long actioned one any day!

For the plastic lovers, any barrel contour could be mated with a McMillan edge.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester chambered the Classic in 6.5 Swede, does not make sense that they did not chamber it in 7 X 57

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
+1 for Pacnor. I had them duplicate a new barrel in 358 Win for my Classic FWT that started life as a 7-08. Dropped perfectly into the stock. Lou

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
7x57 might have been a custom shop caliber, can't locate any literature on it though.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
you could order a 7x57 crf via the custom shop. I remember seeing them in push feed.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I bought a NIB M70 XTR FW in 7x57. The tag on the trigger had copyright 1982 on it. It is a beauty but I have put it in the back of the safe and have not shot it. I looked at it as an investment but I keep thinking what a great calibre for the whitetails here in the western Maryland mountains.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have a push feed version in a featherweight... have taken 2 deer in the last 2 seasons with it..

talk about a well balanced rig...

I have a few claw extractor classic Model 70s... and a few pushfeed..

neither one gives up any performance loss over the other...

My 7 x 57 in the Model 70 shoots anything I feed it, like it was a varmint rifle..

on the other hand, my Ruger 77, loves 40 grains of IMR 3031 with ANY bullet weight... but if that is not what is loaded, it shoots about as accurately at 100 yds as a blind kid with a sling shot would shoot...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a CRF model 70 in the classifieds chambered in 7mm-08.

This is easily remade into a 7X57, although a 7mm-08 is pretty much the same thing?

Are you listening, Ducky?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043/m/5501082311

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
you could order a 7x57 crf via the custom shop. I remember seeing them in push feed.

No, you could not. When the Custom Shop was alive and well in New Haven I had a chat with Leslie Dengler, who was the manager.

I tried to convince her to chamber a Classic CRF in 7x57 and was told the 7mm Mauser was not doable. (I requested a Classic Featherweight, FWIW)

Doug

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I had a pishfeed FWT in 7x57 .. sweet rifle ..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38516 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote