Notify
Tools

Jardinc triggers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there has one of these triggers fitted to their rifle?

I was thinking of getting one for my MkV but are they worth the money? Do they offer an improvement over the factory unit?

Are there any other makes available that I should consider (that is for a MkV)?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I put one on a custom 7mm mag I built from a Wby MkV receiver-mainly because it was cheaper than repairing the factory trigger. The Jard model came with two springs for two different pull weight ranges. IMO, it's a really nice trigger for the money (and the only one available of the MkV, I believe) but not so much better than the factory one as to be considered much of an upgrade.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
I have built a couple of rifles for customers and used Jard triggers. I would probably agree that they are not much of an up grade on a MKV, but on other rifles I think they are. I have had them rival a Jewell on a 700 for hunting. I built a 6.5-06 on a Sako AIII and used a Jard. The customer wanted a 1000 yard rifle he could hunt with. The Jard worked for him. He had never shot over 200 yards on a range, until he shot at our range, max 725 yards. He now has a 1000 yard range at his home. He got bit bad!

I like the Jard for the money. Nothing beats a Jewell........Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
If the trigger return spring is replaced on a Mark V most of them will adjust to about 1 pound and by adjusting both weight of pull and sear engagement.

However, the trigger assembly needs to be removed and then taken apart. It can be quite difficult to remove the trigger assembly.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juggernaut76:
I put one on a custom 7mm mag I built from a Wby MkV receiver-mainly because it was cheaper than repairing the factory trigger. The Jard model came with two springs for two different pull weight ranges. IMO, it's a really nice trigger for the money (and the only one available of the MkV, I believe) but not so much better than the factory one as to be considered much of an upgrade.

Timney makes triggers for the Mk V action.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas

That's great. It looks like the Jardinc will work. I wonder if the Timney is as good?

They are pretty similar in price so I suppose I will go with the Jard unless someone says otherwise.

Cheers

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've both. Prefer the Timney.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
If you are going to spend money then I would take the rifle to a gunsmith and get a new trigger return spring for the standard trigger.

Once you have that you can adjust for weight and sear engagement and without taking the rifle apart.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion Mike.

Taking it to my smith was the other option I was considering. The pull weight is fine its just that perhaps 30% of the time there is some slight creep.

I am not fussy about triggers personally but this is just niggling me slightly as I would prefer a clean break 100% of the time.

Thanks

<Mike McGuire>
posted
If the weight is fine then you adjust the sear engagement (creep).

If you remove the bolt of the rifle and look into the action above where the trigger is then you will see two screws that are recessed. The larger one holds the trigger to the action and the smaller one adjusts the sear engagement. Screwing it in reduces the enagagement. Screw in too far and the rifle won't cock.

You adjust it so the bolt can be slammed and still cock.

With scope left on you need a small Allen key that is bent.

Or if take it to a gunsmith he can do it in a couple of minutes.

If you do it yourself then after you have the right adjustment put something like nail polish down the hole. Although if they do vibrate loose the screw moves up and the sear engagement increases.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mike

Great stuff. I will have a look tommorrow and possibly look if I think it wise, (within my limited capability of DIY) to have a go myself.

Think now I have made my mind up from the advice gained here and from yourself to go down the route of honing the sear before the replacement option.

Thanks

Jon