THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Caliber for built up places in Eastern US
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber for built up places in Eastern US
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Well, I've read that Wal-Mart's selling Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum for $299.

The neighbors are gonna hear you shoot, anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sabot:
CZ Carbine in 7.62X39 with Winchester soft points. Just about perfect.

Just about, small case, fast burning powder, and slippery bullets that expand at low velocities. You won't even need a long barrel, 22" will do fine.

The Whisper cartridges are out there, but I'd just chamber the 7.62x39 with 150 gr Scirocco bullets. Load them with 21-22 gr of H110, A2400, AR2205 etc. to a velocity around 2200 fps. This should get you to +- 3" at 220 yards and 1800 fps which is plenty fast enough for the Scirocco to expand well. The volume ratio(barrel/case) is something crazy like 17.5/1. The normally effecient .308 Win is around 9/1 in the same barrel length.

I researched all this a while back when I was looking for the perfect carbine cartridge. Personally I'd use the 30/44 Hunter Benchrest case which would equal the 300 Savage for a little better trajectory but if 150-200 yds is all you need then why go bigger. If you have a standard bolt head or you want to go the super accurate route you can go 30BR (blown out Lapua 7mmBR brass) and gain a couple hundred fps.