THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    7x64mm Brenneke for Plains game and Sheep?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64mm Brenneke for Plains game and Sheep?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone with experience with this cartridge?
Thx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Springbuck, impala, blesbuck, gemsbuck, hartebeest and kudu thus far. Load up with 160-grain Swift A-frame or Nosler Partitions to 2 850 fps or so and you are good to go.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x64 is so common over here that you almost have to fight your way through the crowds having one. Nothing wrong with that caliber. About as versatile as you can get in a .284 cal - the ".30-06 of Central Europe".

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Virtually identical to a 280 rem. I had one in a Mauser 98 once. Shoots well too. With TTSX & Accubond bullets, it would be perfect for game up to Elk.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hunting Bud swears by his 7x64...from Hogs to Whitetails to Elk, preferring the heavier bullet loadings. There seems to be something almost magical about the ballistics of a svelte 160gr bullet in 7mm!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
There seems to be something almost magical about the ballistics of a svelte 160gr bullet in 7mm!

Funny, exactly what I was trying to tell folks to explain why I prefer the .280 Remington to the 7x57 for an ultimate bespoken Mauser hunting rifle chambering, over on the Custom rifle forum. I believe it is even better with the 175 grain bullets.

Curious how if one puts a European name on it so many wanna-be experts "ooh" and "aah" over it, but produce virtually the same thing in America 50+ years late and some put their noses in the air and sneer at it.

Ah well, that's life and that's some folks, on the internet.

Anyway, whether called the 7x64 or the .280 Remington, its a great cartridge for hunting most members of the deer and antelope families, anywhere. Especially on the prairies (plains).

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
my 7x64 kills beyond all reason

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff, may I ask what velocities you get with your preferred bullets weight?

I'd probably use a 23" barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start by emphasizing that this is a very old cartridge, although most of us in the US have little experience with it. It was developed in 1917 by Wilhelm Brenneke.

I have shot both the belted version in 7x64 Brenneke and the rimmed version in 7x65R, and have owned two double rifles in 7x65R.

Although I love the 7x57, I really believe the 7x64/65 has a real advantage over the 7x57, especially when shooting the 170-175 gr. bullets, which I prefer. I find it to be the most stable and effective of the 7mm cartridges.

Hope this helps.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I have had a beautiful Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK in 7x64. And presently have 2 7x57. I have used and use them a lot for Red Deer and Wild boar hunting.
For a non-reloader, the 7x64 is clearly superior with any bullet weight. Period.
But, for a reloader, a 7x57 in a M98 or similar rifle with a long magazine and European CIP standard long throated chambered barrel, I cannot find more than 70 p/s, and more commonly, less, velocity difference with the 7x64 in a simmilar rifle! This has been my experience. And I preffer the 7x57 case design every time!

Regards

PH

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
since hornday makes very accurate factory ammo, cheaper than i can buy brass.. 163gr at about 2850

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote