Find
Notify
Tools

Battle of the 7mm cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I have heard that the larger cartridges can damage the barrel nut on a Savage. Is this true, will the 7 STW do this, and should I go for a barrel without using the nut?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I have heard that the larger cartridges can damage the barrel nut on a Savage. Is this true, will the 7 STW do this, and should I go for a barrel without using the nut?

Tyler,

I am shooting a factory Savage model 112 FVSS 7MM STW. If you use a Savage action on the older RUM or 375 H&H actions you should not have a problem. Savage is still selling the 375 H&H rifles that you could buy and order an after market barrel for a switch barrel gun.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
It is the 7mm Rem Mag, so normal action not magnum. Will this be dangerous?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my own personnel opinion no. If I had not found the factory 7mm STW, I would have gone with a magnum caliber and shot it single shot or had the mag box enlarged. If you already have the donor gun then just order the barrel and get started. You will love the STW, I do.
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ These guys can help on the mag box modifications.

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I contacted them, no reply. I don't figure I need to shoot more than once quickly at long range. Make the first shot count. Harold, would you mind pming me some of your loads?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if what I am posting is more of the same but I did not take tome to read all 3 pages of posts. My vote goes for the 7mmSTW because i own one. A Savage 116SF-W/W. All BS aside it shoots light out WITH ANYTHING I feed it. From 139 grain H/Itrloks up to 175 grain Nos/Parts. I was out west elk hunting in Wyoming and finaly got to do alot of shooting at 400-500 yards and it took an ax to get the smile off my face, that was untill I shot my .338wm M700 BDL in SST/SYN. dancing banana

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I contacted them, no reply. I don't figure I need to shoot more than once quickly at long range. Make the first shot count. Harold, would you mind pming me some of your loads?

Keep trying they are busy, Fred is one of the best Savage gunsmiths. Loyal following from Savage shooters.

You won't allow private message from me?

My two favorite loads right now are:
Winchester brass about thrice fired
CCI magnum primers
H1000 powder 80 grn.
Nosler Accubond 140 grn
Shooting 1.25" at 200 yards ( I think this could be better because of me)
Pigs and deer Die Right There.
Velocity 3281 fps

Second load
Winchester brass thrice fired
CCI magnum primers
H1000 powder 78 grn.
Sierra Match Kings 150 grn
Shooting .839" at 300 yards
Velocity 3241 fps

I was pushing the envelope for speed and it was not worth it, backed off and found the sweet spot and started enjoying just shooting little groups. Might try H-4831SC next since I shoot it a lot in my 270, have had some recommend it. You will love the 7 STW trust me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made the mistake of putting a brake on a 7mm
RemMag Ruger with 24inch barrel and found that afterward the 175gr bullets all wanted to keyhole on me...problem with the brake...or the installation...or something...I got rid of the gun and would consequently never brake again...oh, I used the KDF brake because of its performance tests...and the manufacturer did the installation...also did a 338 at the same time, Ruger also...it shot fine..with 225gr bullets...just had trouble with the 7mmRM...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What velocities could I get from a 7mm-378 Wby? Any pictures or diagrams of a case? Brass is sort of an issue with that caliber, but not near like a Lazzeroni. What do I gain over a RUM in this?

IMO not a damned thing except being able to say you had a wildcat chambered rifle.

Look at the differences in published loading data between a 300RUM and a 30-378Wby.

The RUM actually beats the big WBY on bullets up to 150, ties it with 165-220gr bullets.

the difference in velocity is ~10-20fps on most loadings for between 5-20grs more propellant in the WBY.

and RUM brass is generally cheaper....
If you consider "generally" to be covered by the fact that Midway gets $78/100 for 300RUM and $278/100 for the 30-378wby brass.

frankly for saving $200/100 on brass alone I'll pass on a 378WBY based 7mm wildcat

And the fact that the 7mmRUM is an off the shelf cartridge/chambering while a 7mm 378based
wildcat is still a wildcat, completely custom proposition.

$76/100 for 7mmRUM brass and production "group A" dies is a powerful motivation to follow the KISS principle.

Frankly I'll stick with my 7mmRemMag because I don't believe that the bigger cartridges are all that much "better" unless you want to stick to 160 or 175gr bullets instead of the 140's that the 7mmRemMag is better at throwing....

But then again I believe that if you need a bullet heavier than 150gr you really should use a 30caliber rifle to throw it.

So instead of a 7mmRUM I'd be more inclined to use a 300RUM, but then again only for 180's.
If I actually wanted to fire 200's, I'd use 210's or 225's out of a 338 instead.

your mileage may vary.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
And I thought this thread was dead. Just a couple questions, as you seem quite knowledgeable Allan.

Remember this will be mostly a long range gun only, a 30" barrel isn't going to be very handy, neither is the heavy weight or stock that's going on it. Up to 200 grain bullets why choose a 30 caliber? The 7mm blows it away in ballistics because of the better BC, and past 500 yards it really shows.

With 168 grain Berger bullets going 3250 fps from the 7mm, you have exactly 20 MOA drop at 1000 yards, and only 4.9 MOA drift assuming a 10 MPH wind. With a 30 caliber shooting the same bullet weight from Berger 3300 fps, you have 2.1 MOA more drop and 1.7 MOA more drift. Not dramatic, but you get there with less powder and recoil. All assuming you are sighted in at 100 yards.

A big jump to 200 grain bullets going 3000 fps in the 7mm is 21.6 MOA of drop, but just 4.1 MOA of drift. A 190 grain VLD in the 30 caliber at 3100 fps has 24.5 MOA drop and 6.2 MOA of drift, that's actually a fairly large difference.

I don't see the use in a light 338 bullet at long range, but with a 338 Allen Mag with 300 grain SMKs at 3350 fps, you have 17 MOA drop, and only 4 MOA drift. Over 1 ton of energy at 1000 yards, that is a caliber to be jealous of!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
actual drift and drop are not as important as remembering to compensate for them correctly.

Also to be considered is what do you want the bullet to do when it arrives?

Having the bullet moving within it's designed expansion velocity range and placement is more important than it's actual energy.

I'm not sure that considering match bullets like Bergers for use on heavy game to be wise.

Game bullets for game, target bullets for targets.

Infact I've even been disappointed with the results of sierra game bullets (I consider the Nosler BT to be a far better buller than a sierra game king and the accubond blows both into the trashbin)

then there's the effect of perversity.

You go out hunting with a long range rifle and the only deer you see appears 20yards away..... Behind you!

I have come to believe that whatever rifle you choose to take with you on a given day will turn out to be the WRONG one about half the time.

and just because I have a "long range" rifle (a 7mmMag that I load with 120's) and I practice at long range doesn't mean that I expect to kill anything at long range.

Hell I just came back from wyoming and if I had actually been hunting antelope instead of rabbits I could have had my choice of two or three, not with a 25-06 or 7mm Mag rifle, but a Browning Baby 25ACP, or for that matter with a lug wrench! (Yeah, I was that close) One nice buck was actually looking at me like it expected me to hand feed it a rye cracker.....

whatever you expect you'll probably get something else.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2003 I bought a Mdl 700 AWR in 7 RUM on a whim, took it to AK and shot a moose w/it & haven't used it since... All this talk about the big 7's reminds me of why it's languished in my safe for 5 years; I've got a .300 Wby SBGM that weighs exactly the same at the AWR 7 RUM, and for the life of me I can't feel ANY difference in recoil between the 2. Additionally, I never could get that RUM to shoot particularly well, probably the light barrel.

Since the 7 RUM seems so popular on this thread, anyone want to buy a pristine AWR?? Big Grin

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
For an amazing price that fits a 16 year old's budget, why sure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
actual drift and drop are not as important as remembering to compensate for them correctly.

Also to be considered is what do you want the bullet to do when it arrives?

Having the bullet moving within it's designed expansion velocity range and placement is more important than it's actual energy.

I'm not sure that considering match bullets like Bergers for use on heavy game to be wise.

Game bullets for game, target bullets for targets.

Infact I've even been disappointed with the results of sierra game bullets (I consider the Nosler BT to be a far better buller than a sierra game king and the accubond blows both into the trashbin)

then there's the effect of perversity.

You go out hunting with a long range rifle and the only deer you see appears 20yards away..... Behind you!

I have come to believe that whatever rifle you choose to take with you on a given day will turn out to be the WRONG one about half the time.

and just because I have a "long range" rifle (a 7mmMag that I load with 120's) and I practice at long range doesn't mean that I expect to kill anything at long range.

Hell I just came back from wyoming and if I had actually been hunting antelope instead of rabbits I could have had my choice of two or three, not with a 25-06 or 7mm Mag rifle, but a Browning Baby 25ACP, or for that matter with a lug wrench! (Yeah, I was that close) One nice buck was actually looking at me like it expected me to hand feed it a rye cracker.....

whatever you expect you'll probably get something else.

AD

How true!!!

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I have been following this thread for a while now and after debating about the long range rifles for some time, I went with the .300 rum.

My rifle is exactly like Harold Stephens Savage, only factory chambered in 300rum. And it shoots good Big Grin

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote