THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .338 Mag shooters - what scope do you use?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 Mag shooters - what scope do you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a LH .338 Winchester M70 Sporter and I am trying to decide what scope to put on it. This will be my largest rifle and I value as much eye relief as I can get. I currently have a 1.75x6x32mm Vari X III with a Premier Reticle #4 on another rifle that I can use, but I was thinking about perhaps a FX II 4x33mm scope or a FXIII 6x42mm. I've also had great luck with Zeiss Conquest scopes and I am considering the 3x9x40mm as well - it also has great eye relief. I am just not sure I need that much power, and the Leupold will save a few ounces of weight.

This isn't to start a "contest" about what is the best scope, I am just curious what scopes the .338 Winchester Magnum fans here use.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for a new Weaver K4. I'm looking at the feedback on Midway USA and it seems it's unanimous that the new Weavers are hell for stout and plenty good optics wise. I also know that when something sucks, people who post feedback there aren't shy about saying what they mean.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have owned two 338's both were Ruger 77's.

They both had 3x leupold's (not the same scope).

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77 MK II wears a 3x9 Colorado Redfield Illuminator. It was all I had available to me at the time I needed a scope and it has worked out fine.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz:
I just bought a LH .338 Winchester M70 Sporter and I am trying to decide what scope to put on it. This will be my largest rifle and I value as much eye relief as I can get. I currently have a 1.75x6x32mm Vari X III with a Premier Reticle #4 on another rifle that I can use, but I was thinking about perhaps a FX II 4x33mm scope or a FXIII 6x42mm. I've also had great luck with Zeiss Conquest scopes and I am considering the 3x9x40mm as well - it also has great eye relief. I am just not sure I need that much power, and the Leupold will save a few ounces of weight.

This isn't to start a "contest" about what is the best scope, I am just curious what scopes the .338 Winchester Magnum fans here use.

My Ruger M-77 MKII has had a Leupold Vary-X III, matte, 2.5-8x since I bought it.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .338 has a little to much scope and i am thinking of changing. It has an older Vari X 3, 3.5X10. I have 2 of the new VX3 2.5X8s and i think another one for the .338 (mine is a classic sporter too), is a good bet, I am thinking a gloss one with a heavy duplex. But your 1.75X6 would be dandy too !. the .338 is a prety flat shooting cartridge but most of the time it is used for big critters so I think the heavy Duplex might be a good way to go ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I like a 2x7 though I think a good fixed 4x would be a rugged alternative.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Mine wears a 1.5-6 Burris Signature. I had this same scope on a 300 Win Mag earlier and it has held up well for a few thousand rounds now. I seldom turn the power past 4x so I guess a straight 4X would work fine also. Wink

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2X7 Leupold has worked well for me.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
VXIII 2.5x8 was made for the .34 bore. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a burris 3x9 with balistic plex. I find the muti plex scopes great for making the longer shots.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I use a Helia 3-9x42 on my Sako Finnbear; it is mainly a moose rifle but I plan to take it to Africa for plains game as well.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Leupold VX3. It seems near perfect for the hunting done with most medium bores.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My rebarrelled and restocked Win 70 wears a Swarovski 1,5-6x42 in fixed EAW mount.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I have a Leupold Vari-X III with standard Duplex reticle on my 338 Win. Mag., and this scope has a single 400 yd. stadia wire in it (calibrated for the 250 gr. Nosler Partition @ 2735) that was installed by Premier Reticles.

http://www.premierreticles.com

That stadia wire really works, and adds considerable utility to the rifle without getting in the way of anything else, and there's nothing to adjust or mess with. The main reticle is zeroed for 200 yds.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried a pile of scopes on the dozen .338s I have had, my two favourites have been the old B&L Balvar 1.5x6x32 and the Leupy 1.75x6x32, since you have one, that is what I would use.

I am going to replace all my .338 scopes with fixed FX Leupies in 4x, even the 1.5x6 LPS on my Dakota. I don't need more power for what shots I actually take and the ruggedness and light weight are big plus factors for my type of hunting. If, I were a really serious trophy hunter, I would like a setup like Allen has, in a 2.5x8 or 1.75x6.

I have a Zeiss scope and have used Swaros, S&Bs and many others, but, for B.C. conditions, I find Leupies to be the best scopes when every factor is taken into account and I like heavy duplexes as well.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
I've used a Burris 2x7 compact with good results for a number of years but as Kutenay said, a fixed 4 power would be an excellent choice as well.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have two .338WM-- one wears a Old Steel tube Weaver 2.5x and the other wears a Bosh & Lomb 3x9x40 Litesight.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Kutenay, I think there's a lot be said for a fixed 4x. I'm building a light 270 "Mountain Rifle" right now and will put an FXII 6x36 on top for the ultimate in durability and simplicity. My 30-06 has a VXII 2x7 on top but I could easily see doing an FXII 4x instead. The new VXII's and FXII's are the best scopes on the market for the money. Wonderful little optical instruments which Leupold stands behind.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
VX-III 2.5X8. I just sent it off to Leupold to install the heavy duplex as I plan to take it leopard hunting in 07. I've become quite fond of the Heavy Duplex, as it gives me a little bit extra edge at dawn and dusk. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 1.5x5 and a 2x7 Leupold on my .338, both are old Vari X 11s but they have served me well and I am sure they will continue to do so as long as I can hold the cross hair on the target...thats about all thats required...I have also used the 3X fixed Leupold but have regualted them to my .375s and .416s.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've currently got a 3-9 Bushnell 3200 on my 338, but the 2-7 Leupold on my .458 would work just as well. I also like fixed power scopes, I don't have the Leupold but have heard good things about them, I have a Seeadler 6x45 on my 275 Rigby and it has been just right for that rifle.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

I have Leup Vari-X 3 2.5-8s on a 338 Lapua and a 375 H&H. I really like this scope. Your 1.75-6 is also an excellent scope and it wouldn't hurt for you to put it on your new 338 and give it a test drive. The eye relief on both models will be fine. Make sure the LOP is correct for you, set the scope forward enough and you're good to go!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Currently use a VX2 3-9X40 on mine, but when I upgrade, it will be to the VX3 2.5-8.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77 .338 Win. Mag. I bought new in 1974, has been topped with a Redfield 2x7 since I bought the rifle.

I haven't the faintest idea how many rounds I've put through the rifle, nor how many miles I've toted that rifle around walking and climbing, in saddle scabbards on horses, in my 4x4 truck, and old '46 Willys CJ2A, over some very, very rough roads and trails. And, in all kinds of inclement weather.

That old Redfield 2x7 (duplex crosshairs) has never, ever failed me. I could put another great scope on it if I wanted, but can't come up with any logical reason to do it.

FWIW. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the same rifle and she wears a Leupold VX II 3 X 9.No problems.

Posts: 29 | Location: Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x but I probably use more magnification than most.

Allen: If you crank any VXIII to its maximum power (except 6.5-20X and above) the bottom post will be a perfect 300 yard zero. I shot a wildebeast in Tanz a few years ago at 308 yards with just such a hold. Works great. I was practicing this past week with my .338 in prep for a trip to Tanz in Sept.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6# 338 coming from MGA next month. After a lot of research I chose a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6. It has 4" of eye relief at any power, and a 68' field of view. It is relatively heavy at 16 oz. I've never used Nikon, but have heard good reports from folks who have.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cobrad - do you know the ring spacing on that one? I want to use Talley Bases and rings for my rifle and it's my understanding that requires 5 3/16" inches of ring mounting space. For me that means the VX III 2.5x8 would be too short. The Leupold 4X, 6X, 1.75x6, and 3.5x10x40mm would work though.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
Currently use a VX2 3-9X40 on mine, but when I upgrade, it will be to the VX3 2.5-8.

Me too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
On my long action rifles, most scopes set too far forward for a comfortable hold; I wind up crawling the stock for a full sight picture.

For a short action, I love the Leupold Vari-X III. For a long action, I want a longer tube like the Burris Signature. It's heavy, but mounts where I want it. It may not be necessary, but I like Burris' Posi-Lock feature if the scope is going to be mounted on a big magnum.

As I get older, I find I want more power, not less. With a 3x12 or 4x16, I don't need to carry a spotting scope to get a good look at a rack.

HH

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Winchesters in this great caliber, one of mine and other of my wife. Nickel Supra 6x42 E/S in my rifle (with 20 years of hunting)and previously Swarovsky Habicht 6x42 Nova in my wife rifle, now Meopta 4x32. All with reticle four.
Hector

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
My 338 Win Mag is topped with a Leupold Vari X II in 4x12. It has worked very well for me out to 300 yards.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle isn't a 338WIN but rather a 338RUM and I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 on it. It has held zero for a couple hundred rounds.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out the brand new Redfields.

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
My .338 A-Bolt wears a 2-7 power Leupold. The only time I ever felt underscoped was on a 435 yard shot at a mule deer across a big canyon. The crosshairs damn near covered the whole buck. I was almost wishing for a bit more power, like a 3-9x.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz:
cobrad - do you know the ring spacing on that one? I want to use Talley Bases and rings for my rifle and it's my understanding that requires 5 3/16" inches of ring mounting space. For me that means the VX III 2.5x8 would be too short. The Leupold 4X, 6X, 1.75x6, and 3.5x10x40mm would work though.
I really don't know. I shoot a 13 1/4 LOP, so the scope can mount forward and be just right for me. I have requested Talley mounts on this rifle. I have Talley steel rings on two .300's, and a set of their aluminum integral rings/bases on a .243. So far they have worked flawlessly.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a VXIII like yours on mine and it is about perfect for the rifle. I originally had an old Weaver V1.5-4.5 on it, which I moved to a 338 wildcat. It had slightly more eye relief and FOV, but the Leupold is a little better in low light.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

I'm more than satisfied w/ my Leupolds 2.5X, 1-4X, 1-5X, 1.75-6X, 2-7X and 2.5-8X.

I think the 2.5-8X is one of the better all-purpose scopes and use this on a .270 and '06. For some reason, the same scope never quite looked or felt right on my .338. It's just out of place. The 1-4X and 1-5X look and feel better on my .338 w/ the 1.75-6X being close to the 2.5-8X but a slight compromise. For general purpose use, I think any of them would work well.

I've not given much thought to putting a fixed 4X on mine, but if Leupold brings back the 3X I would probably get several of those.

I use German #1, #4, Heavy Duplex and USMC Mil-Dot reticles. The German#1 and Heavy Duplex reticles are easiest to see in low shooting light.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 1.75-6x with a #4 reticle

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote