New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 338 and H4831
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had some 225 gr hornadays kicking around,flipped into my reloading book and figured I would play around with some load testing with H4831.................
My manual data starts at 67gr with a max of 74.5.........
Was just curious if anyone else has tried this combination and what kind of sucess you have had........thanks

I am actually probably gonna stick with 250gr bullets....I just picked up a 338 Ruger tang safety model....it came with some loaded hornaday roundnose 250's with 66.5gr of IMR 4831....now being a rookie reloader,would this powder charge be sufficient, give or take a bit,to use with other brands of 250gr bullets......thanks again

Bob

Posts: 37 | Location: Kootenays | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chola:
I had some 225 gr hornadays kicking around,flipped into my reloading book and figured I would play around with some load testing with H4831.................
My manual data starts at 67gr with a max of 74.5.........
Was just curious if anyone else has tried this combination and what kind of sucess you have had........thanks

I am actually probably gonna stick with 250gr bullets....I just picked up a 338 Ruger tang safety model....it came with some loaded hornaday roundnose 250's with 66.5gr of IMR 4831....now being a rookie reloader,would this powder charge be sufficient, give or take a bit,to use with other brands of 250gr bullets......thanks again

Bob

H4831 may work very well, but I just loaded some 225Interbonds for a buddy with 73grs. RE19, WLR primer, very accurate load. Though I loaded only 2 shots per load, 73 grs. was the most accurate, the group measured about .340".
BTW, Hornady manual has a max of 73.3grs. RE19 for the 225 with WLRM primer, Alliant has 75.3 for a max with the WLR. 73grs. looked like the max for my buddies rifle judging on how the primers looked with 74 and 75 grains. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used this load in Alaska, Africa, and for elk.

I use 74 grains of H4831. Really accurate load.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
H4831 is all I use in the 338 for 200 and 250 grain loads. I get good velocity and great accuracy.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumbthanks very much fellas.......I loaded up some rounds to sight in..started at 67 grains(10)..once I get on the paper and where I want it 25 yards..then I'll play around with 3 shot groups out at 100........I loaded all the way up to 73 grains (ran out of powder)....went up by 1 grain at a time....
At the end,I'll try my 250 gr round nosers,these I know will group about half to 3/4 inch at 100...just to give me an idea anyway...thanks very much

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll be happy with H4831 in all your 338 loads

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the hornaday 225's in it today....from 67 to 73 grains of H4831..best group was 3 inches..,and that was with the starting load roflmao..the worst group for 3 shots was 7 inches,2 were 3 inches apart,then the third just took off bewildered....I'll have to stick with the 250's....the fella I got the rifle from said he tried various brands of 225 gr,ended up with the same results....I figured that maybe my scope was toasted,so I tried the load he gave me..was 66.5gr of IMR 4831 and Hornaday 250gr round nose...3/4 inches @100 meters clap.....I'll just stick with that one for now I think...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chola I have an old Ruger 338 as well . They have very long throats and mine would never group well with the lighter bullets yet would put 3 of the old 275 gr speers in a tight little group touching each other. They are no longer availible. The other bullet that shoots OK is the 250 gr Sierra seated out as far as the magazine will allow.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Chola I have an old Ruger 338 as well . They have very long throats and mine would never group well with the lighter bullets yet would put 3 of the old 275 gr speers in a tight little group touching each other. They are no longer availible. The other bullet that shoots OK is the 250 gr Sierra seated out as far as the magazine will allow.

Thats exactly the way my 250's are...seated as far as the mag will allow.....I have some Sierra boat tails I loaded up last night...I used the same powder charge with them as with the Hornaday 250gr round nose....I'll see what that can do........most of my shots will be in the 200 range and well under....I'm not so much looking for speed as I am with just getting the stopping power........I was curious as to what,if any, difference in performance by using LR primers versus using the Magnum primers will be...I have about 400 Large rifle primers left....will this make a signifigant difference or???????????????
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chola We get some pretty cold weather here in Manitoba during the late seasons. I have found that CCI250 mag primers provide much better consistancy than std primers. That works for me.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift A-Frame bullets are accurate from my Ruger .338WM, specially the 250-275 grainers. They are expensive, but tough bullets a trait I like for hunting in Alaska.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote