New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR, we have a whelen!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My lust for a whelen knows no shame Eeker yesterday I bought a Remington CDL. I just couldn't help myself Big Grin The wood is pretty nice, I liked the 24" barrel and out of the box it only weighs 6.91 pounds. When I added scope, rings and bases, sling.... the "all up" hunting weight is only 8.75 pounds! Now if it will only shoot, I may learn to like this rifle. Even if it is a Remington.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I dont want to rain on your parade, enjoy that Whelen by all means. But the place where I found mine lacking is that I still find myself lusting for a 338-06 AND a 9.3X62. Red Face

I figured that the Whelen would have cured that but not so. The good news is its not the gun that is the problem, its the gun nut. Big Grin

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
My lust for a whelen knows no shame Eeker yesterday I bought ..........

Mark, If you bought that rifle yesterday why haven't you shot it yet????????? Razzerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because I couldn't find a box of ammo in town Eeker

But the Fedex truck dropped off a box of dies, brass and bullets Saturday afternoon Big Grin What to guess where I'll be this afternoon?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting a new gun is so much fun. It has little downside. One can put it aside or use it every day. They don't take up much room or cost a lot.

Now with the internet we can show and tell about the gun too.

I handled a sweet Berreta SXS in a shop the other day. It's a light and tight 20 ga for $950 and that dealer will take it back if you don't like it. The only thing that put me off was the high gloss stock. They are selling similar new ones for thousands now.

Even a close call on a new gun is a thrill.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
sleepTwo days later. What happened? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Hope it works out for you and you're as satisfied as those here with the Weheln. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes there is nothing like getting a new rifle !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
sleepTwo days later. What happened? bewilderedroger

&%$*#$ WORK! Thats what happened. Anyway I did make it to the range Sunday afternoon. So Far, so good Big Grin 225gr TSXs at 2500fps +/- and about 1 1/4" groups at 100 yards. 225gr Nosler B.Tips at 2350fps (max load in the nosler manual with IMR4350) with most groups around an inch thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...most groups around an inch thumb
Hey Mark, Good for you. How is the trigger on the new CDL - heavy?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
...most groups around an inch thumb
Hey Mark, Good for you. How is the trigger on the new CDL - heavy?

Yep. I plan to take it by the gunsmiths ASAP and get it set to 3.5 pounds or so.

BTW my wife is pretty recoil shy and doesn't like shooting anything bigger than her 270win. But I loaded some of the 225gr Noslers down to 2200fps and talked her into shooting 5 of them. Now she wants a Whelen and I swear if mine was left handed she'd take it away from me. So the plan is to let her shoot mine, with reduced loads, each time we go to the range until we get her up to 2400fps or so. Then if she still feels like she can handle it, rebarrel her a left handed action.

One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mark, I love my older Remington in 35 Whelen. I have had good luck with IMR4064 and 225 grainers, max load is 57grs with no pressures problems and great accuracy (sub moa).Have fun and enjoy.
Craven thumb

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just happen to have some 4064, I'll give it a try. thumb Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep 4064 and 4320 have worked well for me also.

My gun LOVES the 225 Nosler Ballistic tips behind 55grain of 4064. I have them seated way out (OAL is 3.460) because my Remington has a LONG throat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW my wife is pretty recoil shy and doesn't like shooting anything bigger than her 270win. But I loaded some of the 225gr Noslers down to 2200fps and talked her into shooting 5 of them. Now she wants a Whelen and I swear if mine was left handed she'd take it away from me. So the plan is to let her shoot mine, with reduced loads, each time we go to the range until we get her up to 2400fps or so. Then if she still feels like she can handle it, rebarrel her a left handed action.
Hey Mark, Excellent plan.

Depending on what you plan on hunting with it in Bama(hogs and deer?), you can even step the bullet weight down a bit more. Especially for practice and plinking around at the coyotes and crows.

At one time Remington made a 150gr 35cal PSP that they sold in bulk. I've not seen any in a very long time, but they are amazingly accurate in my 350RemMag and have to jump 0.264" to reach the Lands. Just check the shelves in the Gun Shops.

Next up is the 180gr Speer Hot-Cor. Still short overall, but kills deer extremely well when placed into the lungs and headed toward an off-side shoulder. Throttled down to 35Rem levels, they work perfectly going into a shoulder and recoil would be almost non-existant for her. They may have to jump to reach the Lands a bit too, but it just depends on the rifle.

Then comes the 200gr Hornady SP(#3510) which is my favorite Deer, Hog and Bear bullet. It is a bit tough, so it is best to make sure it enters a shoulder going in. Then it simply performs to perfection. And they are plenty accurate for a Standard Grade bullet.

Lots of good options for her with well proven bullets. Give her my best.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

We plan to go back to Africa in 06 and she wants a kudu. Yeah, her 270 will work but a whelen should work better. Plus we hope to go after bear and elk someday. If she gets a whelen then we'll each have a .270win and a 35whelen, we should be well armed for 95% of the hunts we hope to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, you'll find that powder makers publish hotter data than bullet makers. When you decide to go fast, check out Alliant's online data for the Whelen using RL-15 and 250-gr. bullets.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I might also suggest trying some IMR 4895 behind that Sierra 225. It is a tack driver in my Whelen. I chronied it at just shy of 2650 fps out of a 24" bbl.

Just a thought.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that new, expensive rifle would go real well in a Tuffpak gun case! roflmao
I am taking a pump 35 W to Africa in Sept.....in a Tuffpak of course. Big Grin

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Looks like that new, expensive rifle would go real well in a Tuffpak gun case! roflmao
I am taking a pump 35 W to Africa in Sept.....in a Tuffpak of course. Big Grin

Big Grin Harry you're something else Big Grin So what are you feeding that whelen?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Whelen! I have one of the Rem 700 Classics in it. Well, used to anyway, it's now a Whackley. For yours you might try RL-15 or Varget. Those two powders with 225gr Partitions or 225gr Barnes X's have given me the best accuracy and velocities in the original chambering. Check for length of throat in yours, it seems most of the ones I've heard of were very long throated, which makes having the mag length 700 action a good thing. You can seat bullets very long, way over max COAL.
Good luck and welcome to Club Whelen.
Mark

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
okie john got it right! thumb

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i like the idea of the pump whelen in africa harry...i want to bring mine...but it is a 30-06...plainsgame for me. for my in the thick stuff its my 45-70 stainless guide gun with hammerheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeahawww come and get me! mgun

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Get some NorthFork 250's. All from very dead african game.

Posts: 1477 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote