New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg Patriot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m seeing quite a few Mossberg Patriot rifles advertised at some low prices. It’s my understanding they are of the Savage style/platform. However in looking at reviews on u-tube, most are not up to par on accuracy. I’d like some opinions of any owners here.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
nephew has one in 500 Ledgen 3 shots at 75 yrds were touching using factory Winchester ammo.
Cheap rifle, lots of plastic. It has a nice feel,
He got it for his wife to use pig hunting

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
biebs is the god of all mosbergs and will answer all questions

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been looking at several locally and am hesitant on picking one up due to so many bad reviews. They seem to cluster a couple of shots then throw one or two way off. Surely this can be cured with proper bedding or load preparation.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They seem to cluster a couple of shots then throw one or two way off. Surely this can be cured with proper bedding or load preparation.

I have 3 two shot well a 308 and a 300WM.

A 223 shoots like crap no matter what I have done to it.

I have very little money into them having brought them all used.

Don't think I would buy a new one.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's not inherently an heirloom - but few commerical rifles are-
Is there something compelling about it?

I bought a $169 Stevens (Savage) 270 +Scope a couple years ago - I am not a fan of the 270, though it's a great round - but for the cost of diner, I could have a new rifle?

Sure, I bought it - degreased it, heated it up, put bbq paint on the metal - It shoots well, is a great loaner rifle, is hard to break, and i wouldn't cry if it well down a gully --

Point of the story? If it's cheap and interesting, i'd likely buy it - no matter how ugly

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38500 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Point of the story? If it's cheap and interesting, i'd likely buy it - no matter how ugly

I kind of like cheap and ugly one does not worry about them much.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s probably a decent rifle, especially for the money spent, but my concern is can it be made accurate or at least enough to group 3 inches or less at 100 yards.
What attracts me is the availability of a wood stock at a budget price. Almost all the budget rifles have low cost synthetic stocks, that to me feel low cost, i.e., cheap.

I don’t want to throw money at it to improve it. That defeats the concept of a budget rifle. I’m thinking I need a sporterized Mauser that bubba has stashed in a closet.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend bought one in 30-06 about 10 years ago. He bought a new scope for it about 3 years ago and I helped him sight it in. He had old Remington core-lokt ammo for it. Three shot groups were an inch or slightly under for him and I both shooting.
I was very impressed with the rifle to say the least.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will Savage barrels fit these Mossberg actions? They appear to use the same barrel nut platform.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
just traded for a .308 with a cheapie scope... i'll find out how it shoots... has an accutrigger of some sorts...some of the parts are pretty cheesy... detachable magazine, for instance....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2830 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm seeing them advertised in 375 Ruger for about $439.

That makes for a really cheap 375. Howa used to have their 1500 in 375 Ruger for about the same price, but they discontinued that caliber because of lack of sales.

The next cheapest 375R, that I've found is the Savage, but it's about 50% more.

And of course, you can get the Ruger in 375 Ruger, but it's triple the cost of the Mossberg.

That $400+ 375, Mossberg is really tempting, but rifles with plastic parts worry me.

Then there is the 375 Ruger cartridge itself. I'm wondering if it's dying. Brass seems hard to come by.

I might try to buy a supply of brass first, then get the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one and managed to get rid of it. I will never own another. Nuff said

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote