THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    IMO, a real rifle starts at 270 Winchester.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMO, a real rifle starts at 270 Winchester.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
TSX make the 25-06 Remington a viable elk rifle yet a 25-06 is quite a ways away from a hot loaded 7mm Remington Magnum. 270 is where a one rifle man should start if wanting to hunt moose and elk. I’d rather be a relaxed accurate shooter of a 270 than a hasty 300 Mag owner. The 270 hunter will be the more consistent hunter.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
So the millions of 6.5X55s, 6.5X54MS and many others are not real rifles?

Let me see - My 6.5X55 in a Sako with 125 gr Nosler partition at 2990 fps is some how not real compared to a 270 Win 130 gr at 3050 fps in a 22 inch barrel?

How about the 156gr & 160 gr RN that took so many elephant, buffalo, polar bear, lion etc.

How about the millions of moose taken in the last 120+ years - I guess they never died as they were not shot with a REAL rifle!

fishing

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't feed the troll.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be having a lot of snow in Sask again.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like to start at 25 bores,
But poke a hole in somethings heart and it ill die...

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have good luck with the 25's also.

my closest and largest deer was with a 257 bob, my furthest and smallest was with the 25-06.
pretty much everything in between was with a 30-06 or 7 Mauser.

Posts: 4985 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd feel well armed with a .257 Weatherby. But having only one rifle doesn't sound like much fun

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For me it starts at .308 diameter. smaller rifles work fine, but I have a bias for .308 or larger. I think everyone has a preference, that is why there is more than just the 30-06.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Well to each their own. I own only one but 7mm is pretty close to the best BC of any caliber currently made. Depending on the case behind it. Hard to call one cartridge better than an another without saying what you are doing with it. Shooting paper at 100 yards or steel at 800. Shooting an animal or a target.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ar corey:
TSX make the 25-06 Remington a viable elk rifle yet a 25-06 is quite a ways away from a hot loaded 7mm Remington Magnum. 270 is where a one rifle man should start if wanting to hunt moose and elk. I’d rather be a relaxed accurate shooter of a 270 than a hasty 300 Mag owner. The 270 hunter will be the more consistent hunter.

What a crock of shit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd rather be a relaxed, accurate shooter of a 300 magnum.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12555 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a crock of shit

Plus One on that!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where’s the love? Has ole AR worn out his/her/it’s welcome? Let’s show a little holiday spirit! moon memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I have just come into a truckload of 500 bullets used in the Federal Power Shok 7x57 175 gr RN loadings for really cheap money. If I can get a load and limit myself to real world 300 yard shots I shall likely not look elsewhere for that caliber. And at 2400fps +/- why would I? FWIW I have never shot a deer at more than 100 yards in all my years. Unless a power line or a chopping or cornfield there is just no such shooting where I live. But I also have a few hundred 154 Hornady spitzers I may keep if it ever travels to a longer distance. I simply don't require speed.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try to not just get involved in the who's is better bigger etc generalizations. All rifles have a purpose from tiny .17's to 2 Bore and folks that enjoy shooting them. So find something that works for you and become the best shooter of it. Use it ethically to harvest the animals that are solidly within it's capabilities. I have been a big bore guy since I was a 14year old boy. I have been know to utter the words that "I find everything below 40 cal boring but USEFULL Wink

My classification or things are small bore are 30 cal and down/ mid bore 8mm-375, big bore 40-50 cal, and huge is 505-2bore.

Shoot often, shoot straight, and shoot safely

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with a .30-30 Win 94 when I was 14....later followed a 6,5x55 Mauser 98 for competition. I had a .22lr target rifle at the age of 10..But a rimfire wasn't as I saw it a real rifle. Whether a .270win is the true entry to a real rifle must stand to the threadstarter and his experience.

I would rather say a real rifle is a Mauser 98 or a Win 86....But that's another religious discussion...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
What a crock of shit

Plus One on that!
No, plus two.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What makes a real rifle is determined by the nut behind the butt stock..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

You just need more experience shooting game...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
more Blather

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1075 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A moose it the easiest animal in the world to kill, but you have to be patient while until he decides to die! Whistling

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good ol' Canadian sense of humor or legalized weed run amok.

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

What a crock of shit

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can’t believe how many of y’all fed the troll.....

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
What's a real rifle??? Confused

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's a real rifle???

Damned good question!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Silly you! It's the opposite of a fake rifle! Big Grin

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Something with CRF of course... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real rifle starts at the .270 Win & it ends at the .270 Win ;-)

Just kidding...

We have an array of excellent big game cartridges that are excellent. If I had a big game rifle do-over, I'd buy one excellent quality .280 Rem & never need anther rifle.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
quote:

I'd take a Sako AV action over any Mauser action, including all CRF clones.

It the end, it's all preference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ … think of all the moose that have been killed in Sweden and Norway with a 6,5x55 Krag Jørgensen and 6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser …

And a real rifle starts at 270...

Rubbish ..

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Jesus Christ … think of all the moose that have been killed in Sweden and Norway with a 6,5x55 Krag Jørgensen and 6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser...
That's only because they can't get lutefish to feed from the magazine, for surely it would kill them faster. Big Grin

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi The Norwegian,

As a certified, bona fide .270 aficionado, I'll agree 100% with you: the 6.5 Swede is one of out top big game cartridges (along with the 7x57). I want a .308 Win carbine so badly that I can taste it. I'd substitute a 6.5 Swede for a .308 Win is I must.

When I think 6.5 caliber, I think The Mighty Swede that's done it all.

However, the .270 Win ranks with the 6.5 Swede as superbly effective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, it's magic of .284 caliber bullets that make 7MM caliber cartridges so darn effective.

I know, I know, metric cartridges are of European origin, but America was European until a dude named Thomas Jefferson published his gripe list about King George III.

The Hart-Celler Act destroyed America's European heritage.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I guess the OP never read the book.

Bell shot 300 elephants with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5x54mm carbine using the long 159 grain FMJ bullets.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I guess the OP never read the book.

Bell shot 300 elephants with a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5x54mm carbine using the long 159 grain FMJ bullets.

I hope nobody tells the elephants. They're not "really" dead! jumping

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Jesus Christ … think of all the moose that have been killed in Sweden and Norway with a 6,5x55 Krag Jørgensen and 6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser...
That's only because they can't get lutefish to feed from the magazine, for surely it would kill them faster. Big Grin

jumping

jumping

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
For me, a real cartridge starts at 257 Bob or my newly dubbed "25 Creedmoor or less". The 25 Creedmoor or less is just a necked down 6.5CM or 6CM to .257". It is loaded to a higher pressure than the Bob because of the higher rated CM case and would get like performance even though it is 2.5 grains smaller capacity but would have a higher useable case capacity loaded long, so we will call it a tie with the 257 Boberts (yes, I know it is called the Roberts, but I like calling it the Boberts. Sue me.) Thus, a real cartridge starts at a 257 Roberts or a 250-3000 or a 25 Creedmoor. Mmmm give me some 117 or 120 grain 257 bullets and a 1 in 8 twist.

Now don't get me started on the 257 SPC
https://www.thetruthaboutguns....-new-caliber-25-spc/

That just makes my mouth water.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
quote:
quote:

I'd take a Sako AV action over any Mauser action, including all CRF clones.

It the end, it's all preference.

Some guys are humorless...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

jumping

jumping

Have any of you guys actually eaten Lutefisk ?

Morten