New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Azz Re-Chambering Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I asked this question over on the Gunsmithing thread, but they seem. Well not to much action on replies, so thought I'd ask this more "lively" group here Wink

Ok, here it is... Every once in a while I see Mauser 98's in some kind of sporter for sale in cal 9.3X57

Is a re-chamber to 9.3X62 a viable and cost effective option??

Thanks

All

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, mike, i think mmike answered you..though with a question.. which action are you working with?

if you have a 3.34" mag box, it may be okay, and a mauser 98... if not, either, it's going to be a hassle.

can it be done? probably .. or retime the barrel, set it back a turn and yeah, it will..

but, i have seen one screwed, in that the 57 chamber was eggshaped, and the x62 was perfect... which meant the cases stuck.... had to be setback and redone

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38473 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mike
Simply speaking the 9.3x57 can be re chambered to 9.3x62. Jeffe described the work of setting it back a bit which may be a good idea, however if you are starting out with a 9.3x57 in a Mauser 96 action you may be a bit beyond the safety margin of that action with some loads, if the 9.3x57 you are re chambering is on a Mauser 98 action you should be in fine shape.
What action is the rifle you are wanting to re chamber?
Another way to go is buy any 98 action or rifle and just re barrel to a 9.3x62, I found a lightweight 20" barrel on Gunbroker real cheap and brand new and it worked out great for my 9.3x62 project.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as long as it is a large ring there's no problem, just change the barrel.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not the 96 action... Mauser 98 action in caliber 9.3X57 is what I have been seeing once in awhile.. I don't have a particular rifle in hand, but would like to have the information stored away for next time I see a nice 9.3X57 for sale at a reasonable price if the conversion is worth while..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rem721[quote]
Depends on your idea of what cost effective is?

Assuming you already had the rifle or at least a line on one at a reasonable price, the reamer, and the know how, yes, it could be cheaper than say buying a new cz550.

But, if you have to pay someone to do the work, can't get the rifle for say under $400, then the cz550 will most likely be the better deal. And, I think Jeff may have mentioned this in the other forum, you may also need some magazine modifications to ensure sufficient length as well as good feeding.

As Z1R said, in a 98 you will see about as much gain for your rechambering efforts as you would by going from 8x57 to 8mm-06. Not much. The 9.3x57 in a 98 is no slouch.

I've done a couple of these and the primary reason was to correct an oversized chamber for fellas that only shot factory loads. But be carefull, the chambers are sometimes so big that just reaming a new chamber still may not fully remove the old chamber.[quote]

Aahh,

Rem721 that is the answer I was looking for.. Lot of the old school Mauser 98s sporter style rifles of that era appeal to me. I was hoping it would be a simple ream and ramp job to get it up and running..

Thanks..

MopaneMike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i started out with a Kar98k(large ring) in the "original" .30-06, and had a earnest hope of changing the barrel to .338-06

but after looking at the costs, i turned it in for destruction, and bought a nicely used Weatherby MkV.
and to this day i have never regretted it.

the largest round i've heard of that functioned well in a large ring is .404 Jeffery(but that takes a lot of gunsmithing work, and a lot of $).

but if you're still doing it, i can recommend "M98&M96: how to build your favorite custom rifle."
good book with a lot pictures and how-to.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy really should make a chamber cast of the original chamber BEFORE proceeding so as to know what problems may lie ahead. A cast will tell you exactly what you have to work with [or against]. Cheap and fast way to save time and $%^&&^%%%!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote