THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What's Not To Like About The 270 Winchester
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Not To Like About The 270 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt with one here in Maine and, while it is popular, I think it's too fast. Plus, I personally never enjoyed the recoil on it - not that it's a lot because it's not. I just nver enjoyed the recoil impulse it gave me. 99% of shots in this state at deer are under 100 yards. 2300 fps or so seems perfectly adequate to me.

however, if i lived in a western state that might be another story.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
My first centerfire was a 270 and it served well on deer in TX and NM. Even though I presently live in the desert of SE NM, my preference has gone to the 7x57 shooting 175 grainers at 2370 fps. Shoots plenty fast for me, but I rarely shoot over 200 yards anyway.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Mike,
you are right .. but its a .284 not a .277 ... and older .. oh, wait, nostalgia doesn't play into my world, does it? but I have never seen 163, 168, ot 170 gr .277 bullet ... my 7x64 saw me through the bad shoulder year.. and its LIGHT!

Anyway, I have a 280, and will be making at least 2 more .. 270s? never own one long enough to shoot one, though I've sighted in all my nieces rifles for them.

Jeffe,

Maybe you haven't seen one but that sure doesn't mean that they are non-existant. Speer made a 170 grain for many years and may still make one. Barnes made a 180 grain Original and Woodleigh currently makes a 180 grain .277 caliber bullet.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
465's right on at least the 170 grain Speer. While I have never used one, they show up in the Speer #8 manual. As I have always felt the 130 grain bullet was right for the 270, and if I needed a heavier bullet, which I didn't need very often mind you, I'd just get a different rifle out of the safe.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawk currently lists a 165 & 180 bullet and woodleigh makes 180 .277s. Of course, Nosler still offers the excellent 160 Partition. As others mentioned, Speer used to make 170s and Barnes 160 & 180s. I currently have a decent supply of the Speer 170s and some 160 & 180 Barnes. I've loaded the speer 170s & Barnes 180s and they shoot accurately and you can get good velocity, but like the vast majority of .270 users have gotten great results with 150s and below so that's what I use.

Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I heard a rumor that the .270 is Hotsh$t's go to elk rifle!!!!!

jumping

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
I heard a rumor that the .270 is Hotsh$t's go to elk rifle!!!!!

jumping

HIS 22 Hornet failed him????

I'll have to send him some Blue Dot load data, to put him back into his big game poaching shooting mode...

we all know he has big numbers he needs to meet each season and can't take much down time or it skews his numbers all to hell and back...

on the other end, my 270 really makes me appreciate my 260s and 6.5 x 55 all the more..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote