Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple Shock in 270 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
The Barnes website mentions a Rick Jamison article in Shooting Times that appears to be about shooting the triple shock in the 270 Winchester. I'd appreciate any info on how to access that article.

I'd also like to know what the experience has been of the forum members in reloading for this bullet. Presently I've got a hunting accuracy load at 3094 fps with the 130 grain. Book max per Barnes is 55 grains and I'm loading 57.5 grains. Their product insert in the bullet box talks about going 1-2 grains over the book max for the Barnes X-bullet. I've gone 3 grains over with no signs of pressure (H 4350).

Any thoughts or comments?

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I must confess that I have pushed the envelope with the 270 and TSX's. Have loaded 29 different loads of 130's and 16 different loads of 140's. Started out with loading manual levels and pushed up to MAX. The reason for looking for max velocity was to try and match the ballistic reticle on the Burris 4x16 scope. That reticle was meant for a 22-250 shooting a 55 grain bullet, pretty flat, so had to bump velocity to get a flat trajectory.

Ended up with 59.2 grains of IMR 4831 or 57 grains of IMR 4350 which push the 140 grain TSX at about 3180. Accurate in my gun and just under MAX. If the gun gets dirty after 20 shots or so the velocity will increase and accuracy decrease.

With the 130 got up to 3312 fps and .5" group (4 shots) with 60.1 grains IMR 4831.

Best group was with 130 grain, .25" with 57 grains of IMR 4350.

The 140 could actually be seated closer to the lands than the 130. Because of magazine length the closest I could get to the lands was .04" with the 140 and .065" with the 130's. Didn't seem to make a difference so I just went back to seating them all .05" like Barnes said.

THE ABOVE WORKS IN MY GUN AND I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO ANYONE TO DUPLICATE. THESE LOADS WERE CAREFULLY WORKED UP TO AND YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME.

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Ended up with 59.2 grains of IMR 4831 or 57 grains of IMR 4350 which push the 140 grain TSX at about 3180. Accurate in my gun and just under MAX."
--------------------------------------------
You got 3180 fps from a 140 gr bullet out of what length 270 Win. barrel?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I believe the Sako Model 75 IV is listed as 22 7/8" for the 270. I get that 3180 consistently with a clean gun. If the barrel gets dirty the velocity goes up.

I think I have a fast barrel and the TSX's do shoot faster than other bullets. This same topic was discussed on

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/758106642

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an article 270 TSX

Join the NRA

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Here is an article 270 TSX

What's the point?

The velocities I listed were chrony'd on my chronograph and another shooter's and are consistent without even an occasional anomaly.

HT wanted to know about reloading the TSX close to MAX and the experience of others who have done it. I made it plain that I don't recommend it but listed my direct experience and data. No BS in there.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whats the point? The point is that HT asked for an article about the 270 and TSX's and I posted one.

What's your point? Nervous about something?

Join the NRA

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
No, not at all.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not too surprising to me; I used to get 3100+ with the Hornady 140 gr boat-tail Interlocks with a case full of 7828. I think it was 62 gr but I'll have to check my records. Main difference is that my Sauer has a 25.5 inch barrel.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods, I think that if you're shooting 3180 with 140gr TSX's in a 270 Winchester you are doing so at higher than normal Pressures. I personally don't beleive that "fast Barrels" exits. Guns that don't show traditional pressure signs certainly do exist, I have closely observed several. Velocity is the most reliable Pressure sign that most average handloaders can observe. OK no more preaching...

This is my best load for the 270 Winchester and 130gr TSX. My Finnlite has a 20" lightweight Fluted barrel......

The above is a 300yd group. In decent wind at 100yds it will shoot bugholes with that load (61.0grs of RL-22, WW match prepped brass, Fed 210GM, Bersined to less than .0014 runout). I haven't tried the 140's yet and probably won't bother................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote