Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple Shock in 270 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
The Barnes website mentions a Rick Jamison article in Shooting Times that appears to be about shooting the triple shock in the 270 Winchester. I'd appreciate any info on how to access that article.

I'd also like to know what the experience has been of the forum members in reloading for this bullet. Presently I've got a hunting accuracy load at 3094 fps with the 130 grain. Book max per Barnes is 55 grains and I'm loading 57.5 grains. Their product insert in the bullet box talks about going 1-2 grains over the book max for the Barnes X-bullet. I've gone 3 grains over with no signs of pressure (H 4350).

Any thoughts or comments?

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I must confess that I have pushed the envelope with the 270 and TSX's. Have loaded 29 different loads of 130's and 16 different loads of 140's. Started out with loading manual levels and pushed up to MAX. The reason for looking for max velocity was to try and match the ballistic reticle on the Burris 4x16 scope. That reticle was meant for a 22-250 shooting a 55 grain bullet, pretty flat, so had to bump velocity to get a flat trajectory.

Ended up with 59.2 grains of IMR 4831 or 57 grains of IMR 4350 which push the 140 grain TSX at about 3180. Accurate in my gun and just under MAX. If the gun gets dirty after 20 shots or so the velocity will increase and accuracy decrease.

With the 130 got up to 3312 fps and .5" group (4 shots) with 60.1 grains IMR 4831.

Best group was with 130 grain, .25" with 57 grains of IMR 4350.

The 140 could actually be seated closer to the lands than the 130. Because of magazine length the closest I could get to the lands was .04" with the 140 and .065" with the 130's. Didn't seem to make a difference so I just went back to seating them all .05" like Barnes said.

THE ABOVE WORKS IN MY GUN AND I AM NOT RECOMMENDING TO ANYONE TO DUPLICATE. THESE LOADS WERE CAREFULLY WORKED UP TO AND YOU SHOULD DO THE SAME.

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks, Woods. That's pretty helpful. I too like H 4350 for accuracy. Found the 130s too long to use 4831 very well, so I went to the slightly faster powder of 4350.

My accuracy was not as good as yours, and I'll leave it at that! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded 140 grs TSX in .270 Win with decent results accuracy wise and great results on game. The TSXs are pretty long bullets, so the combination will likely work best if your mag length and freebore allows you to load out beyond the standard max length for the .270 Win.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT
My experiences with the 130TSX is similar to Woods but with RL-22 and even though I saw no reason to stop I stopped at 3245 FPS. Excellent accuracy and terminal performance. An older 270 of mine liked 140 Ballistic Tips so I'm working with 140's now. Again higher velocities w/o pressure signs. One interesting thing is the (2) 270s, a 338 and a 7 Rem Mag seem to like the .050 seating depth as well as any, however, a custom 308 w/ 168 TSX has a definate sweet spot at .020 out so varing depth can be important to best performance in some rifles.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:

My accuracy was not as good as yours, and I'll leave it at that! Wink

Wouldn't want you to think I'm kidding

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by easyup:
... with RL-22 and even though I saw no reason to stop I stopped at 3245 FPS.

That sounds like a wise decision.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
WOW ! Now that's good shooting !!

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but the credit belongs to the gun - a Sako 75 stainless (not lightweight barrel!)

H T

Even though the TSX works great for me, I am considering trying to find a load with an 140 grain Accubond. I think it might be a more reliable expander. At the speeds we are shooting them the TSX's either don't expand and pencil through - read

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/826101232

or don't penetrate far enough - read

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/172103442

tough reading those posts.

Anyway, for close shots I aim for the shoulder in order to catch bone and at longer range I aim for the heart/lung. I think at the longer ranges when the velocity has dropped, the TSX should expand normally.

Didn't have a lot of opportunity to use it on game this year.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerWill be trying the Triple shock in 2 weeks on a pig hunt here in California, then in a month we leave for South Africa. Plan to give them a good going over, and will let the forum members know what I experience.

By the way, I did not have a good experience with the accubonds. Great for accuracy, not great on penetration. Subject of an earlier post from me after my trip to Zim last September.

Also by the way, I picked the 210 Nosler Partition in 338 Win Mag for my wife's attempt at Leopard next month. Passed on the Triple Shock and Accubond.

Hope those are good choices. Hate to see anyone get scuffed up !!

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I've shot a handfull of game w/the 270 130gr TSX as well as senn the results Hunting Buddy's kills and have never seen a TSX fail to expand. I would take any report of a TSX failure with a grain of salt.