New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No one talks much anymore about the 7mm magnum.
Has it been replaced by the new rounds?What is negative about it that i dont get?I think it is one of my favorites for accuracy and reasonable recoil.I only shot a few heads of big game and had excellent results.Any negative reports or suggestions for ammo?For a all round
rifle i cant think of a better one?Anyone else like the 7mag as a favorite?Does the 160gr.bullet really add anything over the 175gr. as a do it all one bullet load?Thanks in advance! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Craig Boddington said it best "270 trajectory with 30-06 energy is a pretty good place to be"

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The darling of the internet boards is the 300 WM and the short mags. We already have plenty of them however and are building the entire cartridge range of 9.3's now. Where have you been anyway? Big Grin

I have hunted with the 7mm RM a lot and always liked it. I still do. I would like to see the real data on rifle, ammo and die sales for all cartridges.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
The 7mm Rem Mag has by no means been replaced in my mind. I have a rifle chambered for it, and I have used it extensively. I use almost exclusively the 160 gr. Nosler Partitions and have never needed a second shot on any animal on up to a big elk I shot two years ago. For Mule Deer this round really comes into its own with the Noslers...can't be beat.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage-You guys had me talked into a 9.3 at one time but dog gone those factory loads seem hard to get ,Not alot of choices and i cant seem to get past the 35whelen 250gr. if i need more than 30.cal. but havent completely given up on the 9.3.-wish i could field test one first.Sounds fun.I like metric rounds.
I read some stories about warren page and the 7mag. and the 175gr. he used on lots of hunts.
anyone know much about him or ever met him in the old days?He seemed like a great hunter/sportsman in his own right to me.I mainly remember elmer keith and col.charles askins growing up and reading all the field & stream & outdoorlife mags as a kid.
My first shot impression years ago of the 7mag. was wow thats a lot of power!
After shooting one a bunch though i came to the same conclusion about the 7mag.-That its really a lower recoil mag.- nice all round caliber thats very hard to beat!Lower recoil comfort to me than the 300 mags.I dont think I was holding it right that first shot-kicked like a mule!
I read about the great tiger hunter Col.Jim Corbett shooting the man eaters with a little 275 rigby and all ways thought the 7mag. would do the same or more!Also the great elephant hunter karamojo Bell shooting eles with the 7x57.Makes me wonder what folks have shot with the 7mag. should work great on north american game Like moose and elk and bears.
I figure my 7mag should take care of me in all my adventures........I do remember seeing a picture of a fellow with a monster grizzly he took with a 7mm weatherby in the weatherby catalog.I allways thought he felt comfortable with the round for accurate shot placement!Nothing wrong with that!
I bet it wasnt a chargeing grizz!
The grand ol 7mag should be the ticket for longish mountain shots on ram or goat and long shot on prong horn?What do you guides recommend?
Shoot what you are the most accurate with and not what kicks the most?If i succumb to the urge to try out a new short mag i will get the 7mm!
Cheers beer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still know plenty of shooters who use the 7 Mag. I am one of them. However I usually shoot a .270 for whitetail. I often like brining different rifles out in the field. Sometimes it's a .243, a .270. 7 Mag, and occasionaly the iron sigt Marlin 444. It's whatever my mood dictates.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has it been replaced by the new rounds?What is negative about it that i dont get?

There is no real negative to the 7mmremmag.It simply is not the latest cartridge so it doesn't get the publicity that the new cartridges are enjoying.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong w/ the 7rm at all. It's still a good choice for a one rifle NA hunter. It will handle everything but the big bears & even then, w/ 175gr bullets, not ridiculous in bear country.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
I've never owned one but based on the number of friends and neighbours that have one, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better combination than 7mm RM and 160 grain Noslers for almost any hunting in North America. It's probably the closest thing to a one gun does all.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Right now my 7 RM is my antelope gun shooting 130 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle is a 7mm Remington Mag....

I do need to work on killing some deer and Elk with it................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between my father and his 7MM Rem Mag and my younger brother and his 7MM Wthby, they've darn near taken the works up here. That includes Bear, Mule Deer and Whitetail, Pronghorn, Bighorn Sheep, Elk, Bison, and Moose. Most of the shooting has been done with 160gr partitions, and the success has been nothing short of phenomonal.

I can't help bet smile when someone says the ole 7 Mag is a lotta noise and nothing more............

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
The 7MM RM and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. I could have stopped right there and been happy, probably should have!! Proper shot placement with this combo will do it, in NA. Smiler But what is the fun of stopping??

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7 mm, it's a great all around gun. Though it seems a little "hot" for close shots it still does the job fine for me. I have an attachment to mine... my brother in law was dying and wanted me to have the gun, he also needed money. Soooo I bought the gun off of him and paid way more than it was worth monetarily speaking. It wouldn't have been my first choice but now that I've used it I'm very pleased with the performance and I use it exclusively. I may customize it a little in the near future to make it a little more like what I'd like. I was in Saskatchewan a couple years ago hunting with my cousin he was shooting a 243 parker hale and mine is the 7mm parker hale. Cousin missed an easy shot at the deer of a lifetime with his 243 so I naturally popped the deer and claimed it as mine. The next deer he borrowed the 7mm because he didn't trust the 243 although I think it's a fine deer round. He got his deer with a great shot through the throat at about 175 yards offhand after walking up a huge hill in 2 feet of snow. I couldn't have made that shot as tired as he was but he was sure "my gun" could do it. Last year he bought a tikka 270, I shot it at the range and made a nice cloverleaf so he knew it was zeroed in nicely and he trusted that gun and it works fine for him. I think that trusting your gun makes all the difference in the world.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 7mm in Alaska, lower 48, Africa, Asia, and in faroff lands only in my dreams.

It is one of the world's great cartridges.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm Remington Magnum is a awesome caliber.

IMR 7828 66.0 grains
175 gr Nosler Partion
5/8" 3-shot group @100 yards
Velocity 15' from Muzzle 3055 fps.

Scratch

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had a custom Ruger #1 in 7mmMag given to me by three friends when I graduated from Air Force Officer's Training School. Frank Hendricks did the action engraving, Reinhart Fajen provided the wood, and Alex Harper did the stock work. The rifle had quite a bit of hunting done with it until I went flying off on wild goose (rifle) chases. It now is the backup rifle to all those others and goes on every trip. My hunting buddies know, when it comes out of its case, "Max is gettin' serious." Hasn't failed me yet.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used my 7MM Rem Mag in South Dakota, New York and Alaska! I took many heads of game with it, ranging from Prairie Dogs (pre-deer season target practice) to moose!
I took several caribou and a moose while I was in Alaska!
I can put 3 shots in the size of a dime, using 154 grain Hornady's!
Great rifle, it is a Remington M-700 BDL (old model) and I will not part with it until the very end!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
Like you, the 7 mm Remington magnum is one of my favorites - better make that is my favorite. I hunt mostly whitetails and hogs and prefer the lighter bullets, 150s and 140s.

Most of my 7 mags shoot 150s better than other bullet weights. I've thought about trying 160s, but why? The 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or Sierra Spitzer does everything I want.

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Has it been replaced by the new rounds?What is negative about it that i dont get?I think it is one of my favorites for accuracy and reasonable recoil. thumb

Well,
160 and 175 grains partitions are fine in 7mm mag. 7X64 or 7mm mag etc. are very good allround calibers.

In my opinion 300 mag kick more than 7mm but effect seems to be pretty much the same sofa

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 7RM. I'll be honest, I don't use it for hunting any more because we don't have much that's bigger than medium deer in MD, plus it's a heavy-barreled Savage. However, I used it as recently as last year and have never had anything but a 1-shot kill with it. Can tend to be a little overkill for deer-sized game at less than 100 yards (most of MD hunting), but how can you beat a reasonably-recoiling caliber that's sufficient for almost anything in the country?

It's hard to beat as an all-around caliber, too. You can load 110 or 120 gr. varmint bullets or some 162 gr. A-max's and try your hand at 1000 yds... Still one of my favorite guns/cartridges.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you want a bit less close range meat damage, just switch from those lt. wt. 139-140gr pills & move up to any of the good 160gr bullets. That's really what makes the 7mags shine, 160-175gr bullets. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used my 7mm Rem.Mag. while boar hunting and shot my boar while he was running across a field
I used the 160gr nosler bullet.The 160gr bullet is a good bullet for the 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ijust rebarrelled my 7mag. She was getting a bit tired.

The 7mag is at it's best with heavy for caliber bullets, i.e. 160 to 175. The current trend is to medium weight premium bullets (mono-metal and bonded, both).

With those, the 7mag offers really little improvement over other chamberings: The mighty 7 becomes a 270 plus 10 grains and plus 100 fps.

For very long range shooting and for those who still want to fire the 175's, the 7mag continues to outclass it's little brothers. Mine's one heck of a long range varminter.... FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Mod 70 that seems to be easy to load for and can be very accurate. Two loads that have been good for me were 140gr. Sierra GK, RL19, WLRM, Rem cases. And 160 gr. Barnes XLC, RL22, with the same primer and cases.

I have been very happy with mine, and had I not ruined my scope just before leaving on last years hunt it would have been the main toy of choice in Id while chasing elk and mulies. It is one of the better choices for a wide ranging rifle. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the 7mm Rem Mag, what are your favorite loads? I typically shoot the 160 Nosler Partition. But this weekend at the range, I'm going to try a heavier bullet. What are the heavier bullets you guys prefer and what powders to do you like?

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 - I can't help you with data for 7 RM rifles and cartridges but RCBS has kindly supplied the top 50 data for their 2004 die sales. The 7 RM is no. 5 on their rifle die list.

Column 1 is rifle only ranking. Column 2 is rifle rank in the top 50 with pistol calibers edited out.

2004 TOP 50 DIE SETS
(IN DECENDING ORDER)

Rifle RCBS
Only ranking

1 1 .30-06 SPRINGFIELD
2 2 .22-250 REMINGTON
3 3 .270 WINCHESTER
4 5 .300 WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
5 6 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM
5 9 .223 REMINGTON
7 10 .308 WINCHESTER
8 11 .204 RUGER
9 12 .243 WINCHESTER
10 14. 270 WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
11 15 .45-70 US GOVERNMENT
12 16 .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM
13 20 .30-30 WCF
14 21 7MM-08 REMINGTON
15 22 .223 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
16 23 .300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM
17 24 .308 WINCHESTER
18 25 .25-06
19 26 8 X 57 MAUSER
20 27 6.5 X 55 SWEDISH MAUSER
21 28 .222 REMINGTON
22 29 .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM
23 30 .300 WEATHERBY MAGNUM
24 31 .243 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
25 32 .22 HORNET
26 34 7MM WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
27 35 .375 H&H MAGNUM
28 36 7 X 57 MAUSER
29 37 .260 REMINGTON
30 38 7.62 X 54R RUSSIAN
31 39 .25 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
32 40 .220 SWIFT
33 41 .257 WEATHERBY MAGNUM
34 42 .300 REMINGTON SHORT ACTION ULTRA MAGNUM
35 44 7MM REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM
36 45 .257 ROBERTS
37 46 .17 REMINGTON
38 48 9.3MM X 62 MAUSER
39 49 .444 MARLIN
40 50 7.62MM X 39 - .308 / 311 RUSSIAN

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a lot of deer in my younger years and used the 7 magnum as my one and only gun. I had a Sako rifle scoped with a 3X9 Leupold that was very accurate. Once shot a one hole three shot group using Hornady 140's. (my one and only load)
Funny how this topic came up...as I was thinking about this caliber recently. This was a real popular cartridge in Texas as quite a few hunted here and in Colorado. I think I might "digress" back to the 7mm..and try it again.
The RCBS data is interesting. I wouldn't have thought the 7mag. was that popular.

DJ...what kind of rifle is that? Beautiful gun.. thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I use a 7mm RM as my beanfield gun for small eastern whitetail. When I think 300-450 yrd shots will likely be the norm and my .270 may become marginal. I might try a 500 yrd. shot if it were calm but that's unlikely near the coast. My gun is a SS M.70 with a BOSS. I don't reload so I shoot the load the gun likes best, Fed. Premium 175 gr. I tried loads as light as 130 gr. but nothing below 160 gr.s shot really well over 200 yrd.s. The 7mm 75 gr.combo works so well for my uses that I've never been even slightly tempted by short mags etc.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rouge 1,

Thanks so much for the most up to date list that I have read in a while.

It's quite interesting to see that the 7mm RM ranks well above the 300 WM in die sales!

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rogue, interesting list. I was surprised that 300 WSM is ahead of 308 (though 308 is in it twice). And that 2 WSM's are in the top 10.

Sendero, My 7 RM is a Winchester Model 70 that I restocked and rust blued. The only thing that isn't stock is the Floorplate where I used the Williams bottom metal - which is really nice.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 10 .308 WINCHESTER

17 24 .308 WINCHESTER

rogue 1,

Please edit your list and confirm that you got it direct from RCBS or what your source is.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99 - The list is indeed from RCBS. After I posted it, I noticed the same double entry that y'all have found. The only editing I did was to remove the pistol calibers. Here is the unedited list from RCBS and the email header under which it came:

Hi Bill, Here is the top 50 for 2004. Have a great day!
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 7:37 AM
To: rcbs tech
Subject: rcbs.com - Ask the Expert Form

ATK Ammunition Group
605 Oro Dam Blvd, Oroville CA, 95965
(800) 533-5000 www.rcbs.com

2004 TOP 50 DIE SETS
(IN DECENDING ORDER)

1 .30-06 SPRINGFIELD
2 .22-250 REMINGTON
3 .270 WINCHESTER
4 .45 ACP / G.A.P.
5 .300 WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
6 7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM
7 .44 MAGNUM / .44 SPECIAL
8 .357 MAGNUM / .38 SPECIAL - ROLL CRIMP
9 .223 REMINGTON
10 .308 WINCHESTER
11 .204 RUGER
12 .243 WINCHESTER
13 .500 S&W
14 .270 WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
15 .45-70 US GOVERNMENT
16 .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM
17 .40 S&W / 10MM
18 9MM LUGER
19 .45 COLT
20 .30-30 WCF
21 7MM-08 REMINGTON
22 .223 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
23 .300 REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM
24 .308 WINCHESTER
25 .25-06
26 8 X 57 MAUSER
27 6.5 X 55 SWEDISH MAUSER
28 .222 REMINGTON
29 .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM
30 .300 WEATHERBY MAGNUM
31 .243 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
32 .22 HORNET
33 .357 MAGNUM / 38 SPECIAL - TAPER CRIMP
34 7MM WINCHESTER SHORT MAGNUM
35 .375 H&H MAGNUM
36 7 X 57 MAUSER
37 .260 REMINGTON
38 7.62 X 54R RUSSIAN
39 .25 WINCHESTER SUPER SHORT MAGNUM
40 .220 SWIFT
41 .257 WEATHERBY MAGNUM
42 .300 REMINGTON SHORT ACTION ULTRA MAGNUM
43 .454 CASULL
44 7MM REMINGTON ULTRA MAGNUM
45 .257 ROBERTS
46 .17 REMINGTON
47 .41 MAGNUM
48 9.3MM X 62 MAUSER
49 .444 MARLIN
50 7.62MM X 39 - .308 / 311 RUSSIAN

Posts: 52 | Location: Mis'sippi | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the rifle lists from RCBS over the last 10 years you'll find that depending on the year, whatever is new usually makes the top 10 (.204 and the WSMs).

You'll also find that there are old standbuys that jockey for the top five & are always in the top 10. .223, 22-250, .30-06 & .270 are always fighting for position to move from the top 10 to the top 5 (albeit the '06 usually comes out on top). The 7mag & 300 Win. also will dance back and forth, one above the other from one year to the next, but always in the top 10, often in the top 5 of sales.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Has it been replaced by the new rounds? NO!!What is negative about it that i dont get? The only negative thing I know of is the factory loads have "wimp-ized" the damn thing!!
I think it is one of my favorites for accuracy and reasonable recoil. Damn right!! I only shot a few heads of big game and had excellent results.Any negative reports or suggestions for ammo? For a all round rifle i cant think of a better one? Me neither, in North America, anyway!!Anyone else like the 7mag as a favorite? You bet! It's the one I always pick up if I am really serious about killing something!! Does the 160gr.bullet really add anything over the 175gr. as a do it all one bullet load? NO, it does not!! The 160 is OK, but I prefer the Nosler Partition 175-grain. From my 26" Ruger No. 1B this bullet does 3070 FPS @ 10' with a max load of Norma MRP or IMR 7828!! Zeroed at 250 yards, the max. ordinate is 2.7", and it is only 3.2" low at 300 yards, carrying over 2000 ft/lb all the way past 450 yards..... Thanks in advance! thumb

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire
The 7 mm Remingtom Mag is indeed a great rifle and one of those that should be strongly considered for a one gun battery ( can you hae a one gun battery?) I have recently begun to enjoy the smaller brother, the .280 Remington. I load with the 140/150/160 grain bullets depending on what I am shooting. It is very acurate, has low to med recoil, and is easy to reload. This is an admission from me as I have always ben a 30/06 fan and always thought that a custom Mauser or Springfield in 30/06 was my next rifle. ...Until I saw a custom Springfield in .280 that I could not live with out.

What the heck, my favorite rifle is whatever I am shooting at the tme. Ifyou cann't shoot the one you love, love the one your are shooting.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I believe it to be one of the most universal Big Game Cartridges out. It is flat, reasonably fast, hits hard w/ proper bullets, has a wide variety of bullets available, and is known for great accuracy in the right rifles. What more could you ask for?

If a Man had a 223, 7RM, and a .375H&H, he could hunt any animal on this Planet but, What fun would only 3 rifles be? Smiler

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have shot alot of deer and elk with the 7mm Rem It always killed.I shot alot of 160 grain
Hornadys and 175 grain Hornadys and prefered the heavier ones better.The 139 grainer I used for elk was a bit light but still did tne job.
It is a better deer bullet than an elk bullet.
The newer cartridges I dont feel have enough
of an advantage to hang up the the old standbys.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7 mag is my favorite caliber. High velocity, flat shooting, and hits like a truck.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

If a Man had a 223, 7RM, and a .375H&H, he could hunt any animal on this Planet...

That's true. But that 7mm mag could be replaced in that 3-caliber lineup with many calibers: 30-06, 270 and any of the improved or mag 270 versions, 280, 7x57, any of the 300 magnums, 308, and no doubt a lot of others, including the various 6.5s.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote