THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPEAR HUNTING AND FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Spear Hunting & Fishing    poking a pointy stick in a feral hogs ass

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

poking a pointy stick in a feral hogs ass
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted
would any of you try such a thing?

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, I wouldn't want to try from the end you suggested, but turn him around and I'd take a stab at his throat.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
beer

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i prefer one of these first one on the right cold steel boar spear i have 2 of them. and will be using them real soon on boar in GA.....

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
I never would.My philosophy, if you can call that,is to finish off the game with as little pain to it as possible.I don't think that can be accomplished with a spear.One is enough reason, I suppose.

Just curious.why do you ask? Would you? If so why?

Best-
Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
No I don't know how but I would like to try these.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1621043/m/924100073

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Well Robin,,It started that I wanted to change the last topic in this forum because I was tired of looking at it,,so I conjured up this wacky question. I did'nt really expect any replies at all. And no I would'nt try unless my brother was beside me with his m-14,,or .35. I've had enough experience with "tame"? domesic hogs to know that they're a force to be reconed with,,and lord help ya if they're agitated. Invader,,nice collection!! Did you make those yourself?

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, I tried to stick an armadillo with an Old Timer this evening, does that count? Confused

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Walker,,I think I just found the evil twin brother everyone says I have Big Grin,I've been to san antonio,,enjoyed the time there,,most polite people I have ever encountered in my travells,,A great place to visit.Dan,,somehow an armadillo just does'nt put the fear of god into a person like a pissed off hog can and will,,Though fighting off a herd of a hundred rabid ones would be a different story,,or sticking it in the heart by a throw from 20 yds.,, that would change things a bit,,Have fun!!!Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have a point Clay, but you do what you can do, when you can do it. Smiler

HOGS.....I just can't get all spooled up over them, legends notwithstanding. They are generally more fearful of man than the other way around although I must say that some seem to place them above Godzilla for the Fear Factor...I dunno why. I do know how to piss one off, and herein can be found a tale. Cool

A friend of mine, a consumate woodsman by the way...lost his mind one day down in the area of the Big Cypress WMA. Strolling thru the palmettos and scrub he came upon a wee little shoat of about 5 pounds, picked it up and got a laugh out of all the squealing and such. Two problems came to light right after that, one being that he had no gun, the other being that the only timber within footrace distance was a spindly pine sapling of about 20' height, maybe a 6" butt, give or take. Now the reason he needed one or the other was the snort and rumble that emmanated from the palmetto scrub about 30' away.

Well, he tossed the cause of his problems and lit out for the tree, making it up about 10' before the missus arrived...chop-pop-pop, a lot of grunts and indignation! rotflmo Well, she started jumping against the tree, front feet up like a hound that treed a 'coon...choppers poppin' about a foot below his tennis shoes. Eeker Thing that really made him feel contrite was the cracking he was hearing from the tree. Red Face Well, I won't bore you with a long story. Suffice it to say that he was convinced she was trying to break down the tree, and that she would succeed in time. He spent about 40 minutes up there, pissin' his britches and whatnot, then all the sudden she lost interest and took her babies elsewhere. Fella said his arms were so cramped up it took 3-4 days to get over it, and that Hell would freeze before he'd do anything quite so stupid again. One would hope so in any case...

Same guy catches pigs bare handed...well, with the assistance of a dog or two. Wades into the fracus, puts a knee on the hogs shoulder and(drumroll)...hog ties 'em. Big Grin All in all it ain't too bad for a fella that collects Social Security. So, knowin' this about my friend Charley('bout 145# soakin' wet), and having shot the damn things with everything from a CB short to a 12 Gauge, and a lot of rifles inbetween...I ain't impressed. Poking one in the ass with a stick, yeah, I could do that, but it's a lot simpler to just shoot 'em. Sorta like crats. They don't taste like chicken to me BTW.

Dan

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Dan,

That was a great yarn.You got a nice way with words.Thanks for posting that piece.Best-

Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I with ya there Dan,,There's been a couple I wish I could have shot,,it would have made taking them to the butcher a lot easier Roll Eyes But he did'nt "do"dead hogs Frowner.Pinkie started out as the farmers kid's 4-H project,,,18 months later after having pretty much run of the farm,the "project" was hitting the scales at probably 350 lbs and an attitude of i'm not afraid of you,,,and you jokers haven't been able to build a pen to contain me yet,i'm gonna go where I please,it barreled through a 12'x16' closed sliding barn door and tossed the other farmhand on the other side a good ways.It was a long afternoon trying to get that thing into a stock trailer.Charlie sounds like he's very good at catching suckling pig,,He just needs to learn how to cook and market them,,especially this time of year,,he'd make a killing,,Clay http://www.50poundhams.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.50poundhams.com/

I met her once. It was very drunk out that night. Ya wouldn'a wanted to poke that in the butt* with a stick, guar-ohn-teed. Red Face

I'm STILL waitin' to hear the tale of the first gaff kill on a full grown boar. Roll Eyes

* It wasn't that drunk of a night. Wink

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I was almost "set up" by a so called "buddy" one night,,luckily I had the glasses focused,,when I saw her step out the door,,,,,,Are you familiar with that wooshing,sucking every atom of air availiable sound when you kick in the 4 barrels on a chevy 350? just like a nyc taxi ride? I bet some of those rocks still have'nt landed ,, and that was 18 years ago,,,,To those that have'nt,,you owe it to yourselves to take the train to nyc,,get a taxi ride and a slice of pizza,,then walk back to penn station,,so you don't loose your lunch,,Enjoy!!!!!!!!! Clay http://www.wholelotofrosie.com

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a blind date my cousin tried to set me up with. If she had been blind that would have been ok but she was uuuuuuuuuuugly Eeker

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
A lot of members of AR who hunted with me killed hundreds of hogs with knives and my dogos ,sometimes we used a spear too but its a bit dangerous to the dogs.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
Not in the arse but more like the armpit. Most pig hunters here prefer a knife over a firearm of course when hunting with dogs, but i'm in the process of fabricating a spear for this purpose using a bayonet from an SKS for the blade. I'll have to fabricate a cross piece to stop piggy from running up my spear. I'll post pictures when i'm done.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
juan you dont have any prices on your web site....... i may be interested in a water buffalo hunt. and maybe some hogs to.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried to stick an armadillo with an Old Timer this evening

Hi Dan,

When I lived in south Texas we were advised to be careful in handling or even touching armadillos due to the concern of contracting leprosy. I never knew if that was an old wives tale or not or anyway......

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
I killed one with a spear last month. You are right though, they do just try to get away and when the dogs grab them.....it's pretty much over. I think the excitement in it comes from the first time you do it, not knowing whats going to happen. I only used the spear because I have killed a couple with a knife before and the spear was different. By the way, when you put a double edge 2 1/2 inch blade into the heart of a pig (this one was a russian) they go down.......faster than any other method!

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don In Colorado:
When I lived in south Texas we were advised to be careful in handling or even touching armadillos due to the concern of contracting leprosy. I never knew if that was an old wives tale or not or anyway......

Leprosy is contracted by prolonged and regular exposure to humans with leprosy and usually prolonged exposure during childhood. It is not a very contagious disease and touching a leper will not result in a person catching leprosy.

Can armadillos contract leprosy? I doubt it. Roll Eyes

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surprised to see this resurrected. rotflmo

'Dillers can and do contract leprosy. At least in lab environments. Their body temp is very close to humans, and they are used for research on the disease. Out in the wild, I dunno. If you're serving Possum-on-the-halfshell, I'll be late for din-din.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Surprised to see this resurrected. rotflmo

'Dillers can and do contract leprosy. At least in lab environments. ....

OK I won't live with one for a prolonged period then. Smiler

Heard the Beatles song? (sung to the tune of "Yesterday"):

Leprosy, Oh Leprosy,
bits and pieces keep falling off of me.
I'm not half the man I used to me,
oooooohhhhh Leprosy ....

OK tasteless humour, double entende intended. Big Grin

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leprosy! Oh, I've got Leprosy!
My ears fall in my beer!
My nose falls on my toes!
Leprosy! Oh, I've got Leprosy!

Dunno what the melody is, learned that ditty in Nam. Have no idea why. Confused Must have been a good idea at the time. There's lots more verses, thankfully those neurons have died.

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
One issue with leprosy is it's such a slow-progressing disease - on the order of 12 - 15 years for it to really "blossum".

One of the reasons armadillos are so good as test-cases is that they have the lifespan necessary to see the disease through it's long incubation period.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the reasons armadillos are so good as test-cases is that they have the lifespan necessary to see the disease through it's long incubation period.

They live quite a bit less than that around Yankeetown. High concentrations of particulate lead in the air and all that...

One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
quote:
They don't taste like chicken to me BTW.

Dan

Just one question. Dem cats or da pigs?

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, as long as we're talking about 'dillos - I'll add this.

I've eaten some VERY questionable things through the years, including crickets, grasshoppers, earthworms, snapping turtle and opossum.

I've even taken a go at eating a live toad on one occasion (another story in itself: the toad lived and left me frothing at the mouth spitting, eyes watering, and shaking my head in disgust), but I will not eat an armadillo.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Not joking here,,I've "saved"unfortunate toads that have fallen onto craters I've created,from moving trees,,call me a softy,,But they have'nt done me any harm,,,maby my cell phone took some damage from falling further into the pit,,after dropping out of my shirt pocket,,But that's a corparate matter.Never had the desire to eat one,,would sooner eat a crat,,Clay

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Well, ya know how you always read about a toad's only defense mechanism against predators is that crap they secrete through their skin and you see those nature shows where the fox or coyote or what-not bites into one, then proceeds to spit it out and shake it's head vigorously for minutes afterwards while pawing at their mouths and tongues.

I can personally avouche for the reliability of that 300,000,000 years worth of toad predatory defense evolution.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben

There are some stories that really need to be shared....... Wink

rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Im using a cold steel spear for hunting now just because i like it ,and since i killed hundreds of hogs with knives and guns ,im testing it,its a wonderfull weapon presented to me by my good friend Steve Thorsen aka wildpork but its very dagerus for the dogs so you must be very careful with it .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I'd probably go into depression if I spoiked my dog with a spear,,I talk to it more than I talk to my wife,,,,Clay

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan, I keep suggesting a gaff for pig hunting, it's virtually impossible to hurt a dog with one of those. thumb Nobody ever listens though. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben589:
Well, as long as we're talking about 'dillos - I'll add this.

I've eaten some VERY questionable things through the years, including crickets, grasshoppers, earthworms, snapping turtle and opossum.

I've even taken a go at eating a live toad on one occasion (another story in itself: the toad lived and left me frothing at the mouth spitting, eyes watering, and shaking my head in disgust), but I will not eat an armadillo.

Ben,
I don't have any experience with the dillo, but I can't imagine it being more disgusting than a grinner. I just eradicated one the other night and as I was burying it, I was thinking to myself that I don't think I could even bring myself to skin it. Alas, if a man would stick a live toad in his mouth he's either lookin' to get stoned or he's really f***ing hungry. Either way, your hangy down things must be bigger than mine.
Hey Clay, ever think this thread would turn to leprosy and toad eatin' animal?

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
That toad was back in my boy scout "wilderness survival" days at camp one year. We were all around 13 - 15 in the time in question.

I was one of the gung-ho types back in those days with the practical sense that most of God's creatures are edible, and I wasn't bashful about the crickets or grasshoppers and such.

To the point that one of the other kids at the time dared me in front of about 15 other kids, that I wouldn't eat that toad over there ...

and the rest, as they say, is history.