New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another pig!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday I was on a driven hunt. I shot a 60 kg sow at 70 m, and as this can happen when you aim at a running animal, I unfortunately got her through both hind legs [Frown] . I immediately ran for her and when I reached her, the poor animal was trying to stand up and charge, badly injured but still mobile enough to represent a danger for the one trying to grab her with bare hands. In that situation the spear proved deadly once again : one poke straight through the heart, and the pig was out in 5 seconds. Man, I love this spear [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations King Baboon

Would realy like to see some photos with you spearing the pig!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Christer. It happened so fast we really didn't have time to shoot pictures. I wish I had it videotaped [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
ha i personaly bunjie jump from a tree and .................judo chop wham bam thank you mam i gotaa my self a deer.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You tough man [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I saw your Spear and the Kudu in the other topic, it looks great.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cchunter:
I saw your Spear and the Kudu in the other topic, it looks great.

It is! Thanx!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
King Baboon

Great stuff.

So do you generally wait for the boar to cross near you or use dogs to push the boar?

How do you ensure they are close enough? From looking at your spear I thought it was a thrusting spear but you also throw it. What is the handle made of?

Did you see Harald Wolf's article on hunting bushpig with a spear?

You've got to show us some photos one day.

[ 12-04-2002, 12:54: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Nitro.

Don't get me wrong, I am a rifle hunter, but I use the spear to dispatch wounded animals. Pigs run fast, and shots on a driven hunt are not as accurate as on a silent hunt. So you have more opportunities to use the spear [Big Grin] . And well, I don't throw it, I paid a subsequent price for that weapon and I don't want to damage it!
The handle is made of red deer antler.
I speared 3 pigs last week-end, the 2 I lousely shot in the top of the back, and a wounded animal coming from the opposite line which was fighting the dogs in very thick brush.
I would love to spear a bushpig, and I am thinking in arranging such a hunt for 2004!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I can see the antler handle. I mean the shaft which to me looks like aluminium and seems to be in two sections. I was wondering about the strength of the setup, either in metal like yours or a wooden shaft.

Looking at your spear, what sort of size "cross-haft" is required behind the blade to prevent boars "running up the shaft"?

I am asking these questions as I have been looking at getting a "Cold Steel" boar spear. Except if it is shipped from the USA I will need to add a shaft to it and only import the blades (for cost of freight reasons). A lot of shafts available here are designed for tools and if they are adequate with regards to their breaking strength.

I am also keen to get a couple of Cold Steel's "Samburu" javelins as well. Great. Throw a javelin or two and finish off with the boar spear!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
PS King Baboon, I can imagine you in a boar drive carrying rifle and spear. You are a crazy fellow, but I like your style [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thnaks for the compliment Nitro [Big Grin] . The shaft is made of stainless steel pipe, it is unbreakable! Yes it is in two sections, when stalking - if I don't have a spear-bearer at hand - I can carry it as a backpack, there is a very convenient leather folder with it. The 'cross-haft' on my spear is about 3", I think it is enough. I like the samburu javelins, they look cool!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
King Baboon

Thanks for the information.

Hopefully I can get a Cold Steel Boar spear and maybe a Samburu spear or two and try them out on pigs next June. (That is if they haven't been banned in this country yet).

Maybe some "hoppers" with the javelins in the meantime, if I can get close enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You crazy fellow too [Eek!] !!!
The Cold Steel seems to be a good and expendable weapon (ten times cheaper than mine so you shouldn't hesitate to strike like a mule [Big Grin] ), maybe I will order a couple of them.
Best of luck for your pigs and roos, once you've ripped your first boar you will become addicted for life [Big Grin] .

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Walter! Story please?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We were running dogs near El Indio, Tex. Chris fashioned the spear from a plow share and the shank of an old garden hoe. Where we were hunting there grows a grass that looks exactly like Pompus grass. It gets waist high and so thick that you can't see your feet sometimes. When the dogs bayed the white hog in the photo we were getting close to the action and still could not see any hog or dogs. I mean we were right on top of them and couldn't see any animals. All of a sudden that hog stepped out not 2 feet in front of us. He was crossing left to right and Chris rammed the spear into the side of his chest and then just kept pushing. The hog went down and Chris just kept the pressure on til the hog died.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Wow, you're da man! I can see spear huntin, but doing it naked like you do puts you in a different league! [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
King Baboon, why do I have the feeling this was you? Fess up.

Court Raps Man for Hunting Boar in Housing Estate
Wed Feb 19,10:05 AM ET

PARIS (Reuters) - A Frenchman who chased a wild boar around a housing estate, shot at it and killed it with a knife has been given a suspended prison sentence for endangering the lives of local residents.

A pack of hunting dogs chased the boar into a housing estate at Bourg d'Oisans in the Alpine forests of the southeast France, Liberation newspaper said.

The hunter said he pursued the chase because the boar was a danger to local people, despite the fact he was breaking a ban on hunting animals within 150 meters (yards) of a residence.

Posts: 13787 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They confiscated my spear and knives [Frown] . They took my hunting license [Frown] . I am not allowed to play with pigs anymore [Frown] . I am leaving this cruel world [Frown] .
Goodbye my friends [Frown]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi King
what happened to your license? is it forbiden to hunt with spear in france?tell me I love me cold steel spear and want to use it as back upp!!
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Danny,

Just kiddin'! I still have my hunting license, don't know for how long, but I have it!
You can spear hunt in France, but the law isn't crystal-clear about it (well, if you know of a crystal-clear french law, just tell me [Roll Eyes] ).
This is my interpretation : the spear is not considered a "hunting weapon", nor the knife. But they are "tools" that can be used to finish off wounded or dog-bayed animals, as wounded or dog-bayed means taken, legally, and the hunting act is over. So it is not a hunting act to stab such an animal. If I am right, you could even do it without a license, provided the one who shot the pig, or the dog master, has one!

Glad to know you love your spear, have you ever used it on game? I always take mine along with me when I attend to a drive, there is almost always an occasion to use it [Big Grin] . I consider it the most devastating contact weapon a hunter can dream of!

one of us
posted Hide Post
hi
No i,ve never used it for hunting ,but i beleive it is good as back upp for bear or (sanglier) especialy if your gun jamms!.
br

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say i,ve used my own made spear for fishing ,when i was young(long ago).do you foge your own spears?
br
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't, but I'd sure like to. There is a french bladesmith who builds beautiful spears, truly pieces of art, but very effective and robust at the same time. I got mine from him - only one year ago, and already one kudu, two warthogs and four wild boars [Big Grin] -, if you are interested I can put put you in touch with him.

You are right about the back-up, fool is the boar who charges a man holding a spear [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Do you know about the price of his blades for me the spear is a tool not a jwel but a nice blade is worth a lot . i wonder if you are interested in hunting in french guyana or west african countries? if so please keep in touch.
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny

Private message sent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi king
how i can get your massage ? my adress is danpay@hotmail.com .did you have any other mail adress? because haven,t your massage in my box
best regards
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the top of this page, and click "my profile". You will have access to the private messages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks i got your message.
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi king
I read your messag, the spears are very well made"a bit to expensive in sewedish Krown" and kudu trophy was nice. I wanted to ask you if you know some french "hunting forum's web adress . i begin to forget My french and it would be nice to chat in french too. If you are curious about hunting in Sewden let me know I'll try to help.
warm greatings from the cold and rainy Sweden .
Danny

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
... I wanted to ask you if you know some french hunting forum's web adress. I begin to forget my french and it would be nice to chat in french too ...

Danny, I have not found many active forums in French. One that I visit regularly and can recommend is "Sangliers.net".

The site is essentially but not exclusively devoted to boar hunting. It has a section on boars and boar hunting and a very rich set of links :
Sangliers.net Home page

It also has the most active forum I know of in France :
Sangliers.net Forum Index page

Members are quite OK and some are pretty experienced boar hunters. [Smile]
Let me have your comments [Wink] ; my pseudo there is SusScrofa.
deersmeller

Posts: 14 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I,ve visitd sanglier,net a very good site. a country like France with such a bigamount of hunters , maybe should have more shooting and hunting site. I like unique and verrney carron alot but can't find them in the shops in sweden.
best regards
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
ps
forgot to tell you ,what a nice name you have. did you choose it by yourself or yoyr parents give it to you?
danny

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
... what a nice name you have. did you choose it by yourself or yoyr parents give it to you? ...

Thanks Danny,
This is just the way deers call me ... [Wink] [Wink] .
deersmeller

Posts: 14 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote