New
Find
Notify
Tools

new sheep gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm going to have a new sheep rifle built for next season in AK. I have used a Kimber MT 325 WSM for the last two years but never warmed up to it can't say why just haven't. I have a M70 longact featherweight in 7x57 that in thinking of re barreling what cal would you all pick, some that i have looked at are 280, 264wm ,257r ,25-06 ,257 WM and 240wm.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
What didn't you like about the Kimber Montana? I have one in a 270WSM that is light as can be. I've only used it once for desert sheep, but I like it. I would that that gun in the 325WSM would be a great Alaska gun. I've been using a custom made MG Arms in 300WSM that is incredibly light this year. Love that caliber, but not much different than your 325.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant explain what i don't like about the rifle i guess its just not for me it shoots good just hasn't gown on me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about 6.5/06, you'll get a 130gn projectile with a high BC that will give you plenty of reach, good penetration and it will fit your action nicely!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 280 AI built on a pre 64 m 70/edge stock/fwt barrel that I sure like.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The short, ugly 270WSM seems to me an unusually powerful and flat-shooting cartridge. It has as much power in Remington 150gr Accutip loads as most 300 magnums, though I worry about barrel life.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just use the 7x57 should be just as good a sheep round as any of the others.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 7x57 only likes 175grn nos par if it would shoot 140 I would keep it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mt
All those Winchesters had overly long throats but also had long magazine boxes if my memory is correct. You could try a Barnes 150gr TSX flat base. With an un-blocked magazine box you can seat these bullets much closer to the lands as this bullet is long for its weight you might be able to get them within .050 Then try some H414, R-17, H4350, and 4 or 5 other powders. I'd be willing to bet you get that 7x57 to shoot just fine.

To test the accuracy theory shoot it single shot at first. If you find this works form an accuracy standpoint and the original magazine is blocked either remove the block or obtain a std 270/30-06 magazine box and replace the original magazine with the 270/30-06 magazine and follower.

I have seen this procedure work really well on a couple of Push Feed 70's. The owners then really like the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My standard answer to this type of question is why not just change it over to a .270 Win.? I've used the .270 here in Ak. for years & it works. Easily get 2900+ with a 150 Partition and, as far as I'm concerned, any Mod. 70 just plain shoots.
Just my biased opinion, of course.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 should have been on my list that I'm thinking about i just got done looking at a m70 extreme weather SS in 270 then i could save the 7x57 to play with later.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 284......be my next choice after the .280 AI

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
270 should have been on my list that I'm thinking about i just got done looking at a m70 extreme weather SS in 270 then i could save the 7x57 to play with later.

MT:
My .270 Win. is a worked over Pre-64. I love it tho it's heavy for sheep. I also have an Extreme Weather .270 WSM and like that very much as well. Have only taken a caribou with it so far tho. Both rifles have Leupold, 2-7x scopes. Would like to try the WSM on moose but no luck on that yet. Enjoy.
B.I.F.

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that this is a crazy plug. But do one of three things.

1. Just dial in the dinero and buy a JOC tribute rifle in 270. Its heavier than some rifles but it will get the job done. Sure it has a engraved floor plate and Jack's sig on the trigger guard. Mark my words. When they are gone and the new ones are assembled in Uzbekistan or Portugal or somesuch you will have a handhoned action balanced on a decent piece of black claro walnut with the right grain. You will have a rifle that if you treat with cloth tape on the stock, campdry, rig, and electrical tape then it will take as much crap as a synthetic rifle and it still have a soul.

2. Get a FN action chambered for something like 300 Roy or barrelled action like a Husky 1460 or hipower from Simpsons and massage it into a earl bridges style mcmilly. Ceracote the barrel and action and put one of those Alaska Mauser triggers that replicate a pre64 winchester. It will weight about 8.5 all dressed but you will have a rifle that will not give up in the bad stuff.

3. Redhawk Custom guns offers the best remington custom that I have seen for a decent price.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 7mm STW. Good range caliber , flat shooting and has good knock down power.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Model 70 in .270 WSM for my Sheep rifle (that was my excuse anyways). Feels great shouldered and is light

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think I'm going with a 280 only because i have a lot of 7mm bullets everything from 110grn up to 175grn. now i need a gunsmith to re barrel and bed a stock any one have someone they recommend. thanks

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
i think I'm going with a 280 only because i have a lot of 7mm bullets everything from 110grn up to 175grn. now i need a gunsmith to re barrel and bed a stock any one have someone they recommend. thanks

Don't know where you are in AK but I use Andy Hawk. PM me if you wish for contact info.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
My current go to sheep rifle is a 270WSM. I shot my ibex at 579 yards with it and have taken deer to 611. It shots flat and delivers a heavy enough bullet with enough velocity to get the job done.

I am just having a 6.5 Creedmor built though that will definitely see some mountain use.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another plug for the 270 WSM. Mine is an Allen Precision that runs 6.8 lbs before scope. It is identical to the 7 mag but shoots 10 gr. lighter bullets. No critter will be able to tell it was not shot with the 7mm.
Mine has been shooting minute of marmot to 592 yards. Next year we'll see just how far it can really reach.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
So far I haven't seen anything lighter than my Rifles Inc Titanium strata, at just under 6lbs with the Swaro z3 3-10 x42 scope w/ one piece talleys chambered in 280 AI. If you have the action, send it to Lex, I did alot of research in custom built rifles, and have looked into Bansners, nula, Carolina Customs, and Mcwhorter, and actually fired a few of the sbove mentioned, but I tell you when you put your hands on a Rifles inc....You will want one. I also Live in AK and the turn around time was 6 months from the time i sent my action into Lex. If you would like to see his rifles he has them at the DSC and SCI shows or you can check mine out at the Birchwood range.....this thing is a joy to pack around the mountains, and the accuracy is phenominal (IMO)....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
So far I haven't seen anything lighter than my Rifles Inc Titanium strata, at just under 6lbs with the Swaro z3 3-10 x42 scope w/ one piece talleys chambered in 280 AI. If you have the action, send it to Lex, I did alot of research in custom built rifles, and have looked into Bansners, nula, Carolina Customs, and Mcwhorter, and actually fired a few of the sbove mentioned, but I tell you when you put your hands on a Rifles inc....You will want one. I also Live in AK and the turn around time was 6 months from the time i sent my action into Lex. If you would like to see his rifles he has them at the DSC and SCI shows or you can check mine out at the Birchwood range.....this thing is a joy to pack around the mountains, and the accuracy is phenominal (IMO)....

A full pound lighter than my cheapo Tikka. tu2

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
You know what they say....saving grams and ounces lead to saving pounds. 16 ounces ( 1Lb.) is a big deal to me....although the weight is nice, its not a big factor to me, accuracy is.....and with the combination of the weight of this rifle...why not. The action on this rifle has proven itself having taken 2 out of my 3 Dall Rams, I have other Remington titanium actions, they are not making them anymore and are always in demand. I know people are buying the rifles just for the action itself. What Lex does to them is phenomenal and unique how he lightens the actions on all his rifle. I wouldn't call your Tikka a cheapo, they are nice rifles and will kill just as good as any custom rifle out there. I just wanted something special, with all bells and whistles I wanted, just like going to Barrett Jackson and buying that classic Shelby GT 500 That I can only dream about ..........Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked them out wish i could pick one up but the max i can spend is around 1800 with out glass but thanks for the heads maybe some day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
weatherby UL and be done with it.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
$1800.....you can also check out Nosler Trophy Grade rifles. Sportsmans got a couple right now!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
right now its between the nosler having my action worked and a sako finnlight.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't hurt to stretch your wallet a little they also have a Nosler custom in M48 sporter at $2399 not sure what caliber, but its comes already cerakoted. (Wasilla store) I'd put my hands on them to see if you want to drop the coin on them. I shot my first Dall and a Kodiak goat with one in 270 WSM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT, one of the guys on 24 Hr has an unused Rifles Inc in 7mm Rem Mag for $1,450. That's a killer price, and Lex's rifles shoot. I thought he said it was 6 1/4 lbs or there about.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Easy to lighten up that rifle.....get rid of the Leuopold rings and bases, and go one piece talleys, change out the stock and drop the floorplate and go Blind magazine, finally a #2 douglas barrel can be fluted.....cost? oh probably another grand.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
How about 6.5/06, you'll get a 130gn projectile with a high BC that will give you plenty of reach, good penetration and it will fit your action nicely!

+1 for the 6.5-06 if you reload. The ballistic coefficient is excellent.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As said, I find my Tikka 270WSM plenty light enough but I get sick of it migrating around my chest when slung over head and shoulder during steep climbs.

Does anyone know of a product that can be added to the sling to give a quick-release tether to, say, your belt?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me, a NULA in .284 Win is about the perfect sheep rifle. I'd also take a long look at the NULA knockoff, a Forbes rifle in .270.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I just ended up with a Kimber Montana in 308,now I have 7 months to develop loads and practise. I'm hoping the 150 TSX shoots for me as there was a big grizzly in the neighborhood this last fall season and the country is lightly hunted at best! This is my partners ram for 2012.He took this ram with a Savage 110 with a 165 Fusion.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of the 3 Kimbers I had were 3/4 MOA rifles. For the money I don't think you can get a better fly-weight. I have been watching for the Forbes rifles to become available since they were announced. I found a custom Allen Precision light weight .270 WSM first, and couldn't be happier.

That is a beautiful ram!

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dropped off my action today going to have a 280AI in featherweight put on now i need to decide on a stock and glass.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Is Stan Jackson in Anchorage doing the work for you?
Go with a High tech specialty stock and go blind magazine ( same guys that make the Bansners stock)
As far as glass goes, if Swaros not in your budget then look at Zeiss. Remember the sportsmans show is coming up around the 1st week in April and you can get some really good deals, I know mountain view sports offer 20 % discount during the show week....good luck let us know how it turns out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
douge in Fairbanks is doing the work. for glass it is between leica, swaros ,and Leupold i like the aluminum cap that Leupold has i will look in to high tech specialty. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug is the man. He does all of my work and he does it well and fast.

He will be tweeking my Jack O Connor Tribute when I get it free from layaway jail. I will put a leupold and Talleys on it.

Sincerely,

Thomas Wink

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Jack O Conner tribute rifles look good.