new sheep gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ordered a high tech specialty stock today blind mag and aluminum trigger guard

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted sheep, I have always wanted to. I have hunted mountain Grizzly and mountain black bear.

So to me a Mountain Gun, for ANY mountain game, including sheep and goats, pretty much falls into the same catagory.

I would want a gun powerful and flat shooting enough to kill at at least to 400 yards, and for me to 600 yards [I am an experienced 1000 yard High Power Rifle Match shooter, and have shotmy mountain gun a lot to 600 yards and there is a 500 yard range 10 miles from my place where I live, that I shoot at a lot.

How far I can shoot, and hit depends on the wind, as with a range finder distance is easily determined. There have been times I would not shoot as close as 300 yards depending on the wind and other weather conditions, so let the record reflect I do not shoot if I am not sure of a killing hit, even if it is 50 yards or so...

I would want a fairly light rifle, as I find light rifles with a tight sling just as easy to shoot good as a heavy rifle, and much easier to carry.

I would want a scope of at least 6x, but no more if fixed, and if a variable I would want the low power to be at least as low as 4.5, as many times even in the mountains your shots will be closer than 100 yards, and the game moving.

Calibre for me, 308 would be my minimum. I consider the 270 WCF a great mountain calibre, but I will never own one, as I can do with a 308 anything I could do with a 270, and the 308 is superior logistically for me.

I have owned and hunted 257 WBY, 264 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 300 WBY Mag and 340 WBY Mag.

My current long range rifle is a 300 Win Mag Blaser R 93 with a Leupold 3.5 to 10 Mark IV with a Ballistic Cam.
At my current age, I will never change, it is a great system, I have killed more than one red fox at over 350 to 400 yards with it.
I have also killed deer at under 100 yards with it, elk at 100 yards and elk at 450 yards.

A 300 Mag with 180 to 200gr bullets is a great hunting cartridge.

There are no flies on a 340 WBY Mag either.

The main thing is to get a good rifle, good ammo, good scope and shoot the dickens out of it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 win mag i like allot it is my go to gun right now maybe that will change after i get this one finished. I also spend a lot of time shooting I run a range we teach Evey thing from 9mm to 50 Cal. In the summer I put 200 rounds of my ammo a week down range plus all my pro fire ammo today I put 90 rounds though the 107.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
I have a 300 win mag i like allot it is my go to gun right now maybe that will change after i get this one finished. I also spend a lot of time shooting I run a range we teach Evey thing from 9mm to 50 Cal. In the summer I put 200 rounds of my ammo a week down range plus all my pro fire ammo today I put 90 rounds though the 107.

Do you let the barrel cool down between shots?

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most creative idea for a sheep rifle that I can remember was a gentleman who purchased a used Rem 700 ADL in 7 mag for a sheep hunt. Very plain gun but a good shooter and cheap (at the time). His thinking was that if he shot a sheep he would just take the scope off the rifle and then oil the gun and store in in a plastic bag and leave it on the mountain instead of packing it back. The gun did return due to no shootable sheep on that trip. Cheaper than a good rebarrel job.
Eeker

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes i let the barrels cool down on my guns work guns i follow the coarse of fire so it depends.it helps when it -10 outside.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
Yes i let the barrels cool down on my guns work guns i follow the coarse of fire so it depends.it helps when it -10 outside.

Minus-10? Yeah, that should speed up the cooling. Don't see much of that down our way.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The coldest class i have held was -47 we had a team from Hawaii show up for a 107 class they hated life that week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
The coldest class i have held was -47 we had a team from Hawaii show up for a 107 class they hated life that week.

pretty sure you will hate a week in february in Hawaii too .... lol

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
How about 6.5/06, you'll get a 130gn projectile with a high BC that will give you plenty of reach, good penetration and it will fit your action nicely!

tu2

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With grizzlies possibly being on the agenda I think I would choose the 30/06. You could work up loads with 150's or 165's for sheep and 200's just in case. Or just use 180's. For sure I wouldn't choose a smaller caliber than a .270.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
With grizzlies possibly being on the agenda I think I would choose the 30/06. You could work up loads with 150's or 165's for sheep and 200's just in case. Or just use 180's. For sure I wouldn't choose a smaller caliber than a .270.

That logic makes sense to me. When in Wyoming to hunt mulies and black bear many years ago, my host offered to lend me a 300 Savage. Worried about the possibility of running into a grizzly, I accepted instead a .30/06 one of his friends proffered.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't give grizzly's a second thought carrying a 6.5 x 06 loaded with 140gr NP or an X bullet.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will second waterrat on the 6.5/06 with TSX's.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
I wouldn't give grizzly's a second thought carrying a 6.5 x 06 loaded with 140gr NP or an X bullet.

They must be hell in bullets. It's the same weight as the one George Grey used for lion IIRC, but they're tougher than grizzlies Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
My idea of a AK sheep rifle is light weight and lo recoil. Extreme angles and a hard kicker in a remote location makes for a difficult injury. Most rams can be taken at a shootable range if you know how to hunt them. I have a LW LH 270 Win and a LH LH 06 for sheep hunting.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a Leupold fx3 with cds and the aluminum flip cap 3.5-10 40mm should work good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VX3 not fx3

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
MT, Post a pic when you get it done....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished my build ended up m70 push feed 280AI with a 22in feather weight, high tech stock blind mag ,and Leupold cdl 3-9 7.4pounds all in. I will try to post pick never do in on this forum.

I have worked up a load with 150grn NB and now working with 150grn SWIFT looks like my gun is not a speed demon only getting a little over 2900fps but that's ok I will trade speed for small groups.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one seems to want to use the "old" style guns like a lever action. WHY? Im looking to go next year and will use a Winchester 1886 in 475 Turnbull

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
No one seems to want to use the "old" style guns like a lever action. WHY? Im looking to go next year and will use a Winchester 1886 in 475 Turnbull

Jack O'Connor?? Growing up reading all the adventures, a .270 (or there abouts) was stuck in my mind. Then:
1) Hunting Alaska with weather. Need SS/S
2) Climbing up and down cliff, need lightweight
3) Spend money on quality glass (scope)

I love lever guns, I have three old winchesters in my basement. My eyes arent what they used to be so open sights are becoming an issue.

This being said, looking forward to your hunt report.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on 7 sheep hunts that has enabled me to obtain a Grand Slam. My rifle of choice has been a pre-64 model 70 Winchester with a 20' pencil barrel. The caliber is a .257 Improved shooting a 120 grain bullet. The sheep were all one shot kills at ranges of 100 yds to 425 yds. The rifle carries a custom English walnut stock.

Posts: 46 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
In my quest for the perfect sheep rifle, here's my latest addition....the 6.5 Creedmoor. Right at 7 pounds scoped. As I age I'm starting to realize the value of very low recoil rifles for the mountains. We head out Tuesday for goats...hope to pop its cherry.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug Turnbull, I have a friend who still uses two very old Winchester 94's for everything. He has a 30-30 for deer, mtn. goat, etc. His big gun is a .32 for elk.
I've had several lever guns over the years, including a Browning 7 mag intended as a donor for a .416 Taylor I intended to use in AK, but I sold it and picked up a .458 instead. Ended up not moving there after all and sold the .458.
I have lusted over your 475 Turnbull for several years, to return to my roots of elk hunting with an open sighted rifle.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Far more important to be altitude acclimated and in shape than the rifle.

You will carry far more weight in water than shaving a few ounces off a rifle.

Most American men who are not native to the mountains and can afford an outfitted hunt, (i.e. over 40) would be better off to invest in conditioning and horse riding lessons than a new rifle.

My front door is at 7200' and most hunting is uphill ...... just my 2 cents.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well after 3 months of trying to make the swifts shoot I finally gave up and the first powder I tried with TSX worked great my load is 59grn R19 and a 150grn TSX. with the swift I would get one 1/2 inch group then 3 or 4 2 inch groups it drove me crazy I rebeded the rifle put in pressure point changed scopes and finely gave up now I have 300 swifts that I cant use.

posted Hide Post
You have 7mm Swifts you "can't use" ?

Make me an offer I can't refuse and I'll buy them.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you in Alaska shipping will be high if not.

posted Hide Post
Nah, 300 will fit in a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box for about $15.00 bucks, tracked and insured.

Pls PM me, if of interest.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
In my quest for the perfect sheep rifle, here's my latest addition....the 6.5 Creedmoor. Right at 7 pounds scoped. As I age I'm starting to realize the value of very low recoil rifles for the mountains. We head out Tuesday for goats...hope to pop its cherry.

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the rifle? It looks like a Remington yet the barrel appears to be part of the action, like some old-timey .22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm Rem. Mag. Epic...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whitetailrun:

Most American men who are not native to the mountains and can afford an outfitted hunt, (i.e. over 40) would be better off to invest in conditioning and horse riding lessons than a new rifle.

I think this is a very important post. I hope all who are considering this issue will pause, avert their attention from rifle and cartridge, and think about it.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

I think this is a very important post. I hope all who are considering this issue will pause, avert their attention from rifle and cartridge, and think about it.

When you get to the top most of the time there ain't no Water..Can I get a Amen Brother's..

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cpaer:
I have been on 7 sheep hunts that has enabled me to obtain a Grand Slam. My rifle of choice has been a pre-64 model 70 Winchester with a 20' pencil barrel. The caliber is a .257 Improved shooting a 120 grain bullet. The sheep were all one shot kills at ranges of 100 yds to 425 yds. The rifle carries a custom English walnut stock.

Congratulations on your sheep and defining a Sheep Rifle!!!

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
quote:

When you get to the top most of the time there ain't no Water..Can I get a Amen Brother's..

Yep,,,I've been pretty damn thirsty on sheep hunts before,, I've had clients keel over and had to be nursed to water on a few occasions!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the rifle? It looks like a Remington yet the barrel appears to be part of the action, like some old-timey .22.

It's a custom Rocky Mountain Rifle built on a Stiller action with a Pacnor barrel and McMillan stock..

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just pull the barrel and cut off a couple of threads, have it reamed to 7x57 ackley 40* shoulder [short neck] and screwed back on.
no fuss, no drama, life's good.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT, have tried RL22 and 150 TTSX's?
thats what I settled on in my 280 AI, 3050fps out of a 23" barrel.
Sounds like you put togther a great rig.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my custom german single shot in 7x65r will do it all,iam not one mile shooter

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote