THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Quality Late Summer/Early Fall hunting clothes

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality Late Summer/Early Fall hunting clothes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
Getting ready to go on my first elk hunt this year with a bow, which will occur late summer/early fall in Idaho. Last year I went with my brother (as a spectator/work mule) using some pants I bought at walmart and HATED it. They were like a sweat suit. My legs were soaked from the sweat and condensation and as a result I froze my A$$ off once we got to the top of the mountain because I was so wet. Ended up stripping down to my boxers to let the clothes dry.

I want to get some better quality clothes this year. We have a Cabela's in my town and I have some points to spend. I don't want to spend a fortune but want quality, not afraid to spend what it takes to buy quality but do not need Sitka gear either. What would you all suggest in terms of brands/material for a base layer up...?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tell you what I like to hunt in those conditions:

Pair of elastic band shorts
Poly pro long underwear tops and bottoms
Gore tex top and bottom
Fleece
Two cotton tee shirts

If it is really hot, I wear shorts and tee shirt. If it gets cold or I am glassing, add layers. If it is too cold to hike with shorts, i put on the long undies and pull the shorts over the long underwear.

I first tried this sheep hunting in Alaska in the 80s and haven't seen anything come along that beats it. I hunt in a backpack, so I always have the clothes ready. I have MT50 Cabelas as well as Sitka. Sitka is waterproof in a downpour, but I wear the MT50 if hunting in rough terrain were rain is intermittent (I try not to wear that spendy Sitka stuff unless I need it).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote