THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    BOOTS [again] but tough for a big guy **HELP**

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BOOTS [again] but tough for a big guy **HELP**
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I need a boot that is tough. the leather needs to be tough, the shank needs to be a little flexiable and tough, and the soles need to be Vibram, no insulation! Currently I use logging boots for everything.

I have tried La Sportiva [destroyed them, but loved the fit], Danner [destroyed them, the replacement pair, and the replacement pair's replacement] Redwings [destroyed], Russels [destroyed fast], Merrell [didn't stand a chance], and I have a pair of Scarpa boots {Cerro Torre}now that are tough as nails and they continue to wound me but are not even close to failure.

I work in the woods and the mountains as a profession. I am selecting the right models of boots so this is not an ameature problem. I need you best and honest opinion for boots. They can be leather without water repelant since I treat them often, but they need to be able to take punishment where you travel up 1000 feet in elevation in just 1320 to 1500 feet, and take the punishment of sticks and rocks and not give up!

HELP! HELP! HELP!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Have you tried White's http://www.whitesboots.com/. From what I've heard from western foresters, these are the best.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried White's http://www.whitesboots.com/.

I actually have two pairs I tried. One in chaulks and one lugs. I prefer the Wecos because of the lace to the toe feature. Thanks for the idea though.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Meindl? I have a pair of "Perfekt's" and they are great. They have a couple other models depending on what you are looking for. Definitely worth a look.

They are the most comfortable Hiking boot I have ever owned.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I will take a look.

I lied. The boots that were destroyed fast WERE NOT RUSSELS. I do not now know who made them, but they were not cheap.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only boot you mentioned that hasn't failed you is the Scarpa. That model, Cerro Torre, is a lightweight style mountaineering boot. It sounds as if you have a fit problem with them though. All of the other boots you have tried, and have failed for your uses, are of the same welted and upper-stitched designs you call logging boots. You may want to try an expedition-style mountaineering boot with Vibram soles such as those from Asolo, Fabiano, Scarpa, Raichle, Salomon, Lowa, Garmont, La Sportiva or Montrail, for example. Stay with leather construction for flexibilty. Plastic shell boots may not be as good while scrambling on shale slides.

Do a google search and you'll find dozens.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I may actually try Wesco Firestormer boots. The Wesco Jobmasters have worked well, but I was trying more traditional hiking boots. I may need to go back to the loggers.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Ever tried Schnees? Frankly I have no idea if they would stand up any better than the boots you've already tried. I know some people swear by them, but they could be weekend warriors.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of custom made Wesco Firestormer boots on the way with waterproof tanned leather, rough out, 12 inch, lace to the toe, with kevlar laces.

one of us
posted Hide Post
La Sportiva Makalu's--they make a couple of grades, the high-end toghest of which has outlasted anything I have yet tried. Not Vibrams but a very good sole. I use my whites alot (5 pair) but for ground pounding, these are the better boot.
Makalus

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
http://www.bunyipboot.com.au/boots/selwyn/selwyn.html

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent the last thirty years on the "boot circus" trapeze, myself. Finally broke down and bought a pair of Whites for general all-purpose wear. Satisfaction, waxes and wanes. I, am of the opinion that, "boots", for the most part are "condition-specific". In other words-----Gotta own a bunch of different boots to meet differing conditions.
Good Luck on your quest.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
I have used Scarpa Baltoro (on my second pair) and I like them very much but I think the are not made any more. The stiffer and non flexible boots you get, they are more likly to hurt you. I also have a pair of la sportiva that I use for Ice climbing, they are leather and non insulated but very strong, but the down side was that it took me a year to break the in and I used them for work, that is surveying in wetlands and mountains.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333OKH: What kind ofwork do you do? Let me know and I can rececommend a boot for you.

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I'm a Big guy and I use Meindl "Canada's" from Cabelas.

IMHO, there is no better boot for a big guy.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
The Lowa Sheep Hunters are a great boot for Mountain hunting. You can purchase them at Schnees in Bozeman. BTW the Schnees pacs are great boots for snow and mud, but if you are going through boots that often they probaly wont hold up. They can be rebuilt however. Im a big guy also I work in Danner Super Rainforests. I get about 3 winters out of them.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
La Sportiva Makalu's

I really like these boots too,and owned one pair, but they wore out too and were difficult to rebuild.

I am sticking with my Wescos and have a nice custom pair of the Firestormers on the way. Wesco is my preference over Whites personally...

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a a true custom pair of boots made to order for you? Such as those made by Charlie VanGorkom.

Boots

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I keep saying this over and over.....

Try anything that has Meindl on it.

I'm a big guy also and I have the "Canadas" and lover them, from Meindl.

Just check Cabelas.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Lowa Sheephunters. A truly terrific mountain boot.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Tundraman
posted Hide Post
I go about 250 and wore Meindl Alaskans from Cabelas on a 10 day sheep hunt and they came back without hardly a scratch and i never even had a hotspot.That sold me.

Posts: 19 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a pair of custom made Wesco Firestormer boots on the way

I have them and they just went the whole deer season with me with great results! I love them!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Whites hiking boots. This is actually a lighter boot than their Smokejumper(which is made in lace to the toe). Had em 5 years or so and they still look new. Im actually hard on shoes too. They were intended to be oiled,but I do shine them. They take a spit shine and are the most comfortable footwear I have had.(Comparing Redwings to them(---which I have had several pairs)there is no comparison. Another great footwear product is Thorlo socks---cost a little more but are much cheaper in long run---more comfortable too--well worth it.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is direcrted to all you Meindel boots fans:
does Meindel make boots in 15 4-e or do thay have a custom order shop?

It would seem at least in my case, nature has quite the sence of humor, as I was not lucky enough to be given my fathers amaizing ability to play the piano (he was 100% self taught) nore his brothers artistic abilities, I just got his ( my fathers that is) big damn feet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that the Whites Boots are custom made. You trace your foot and give measurements for the places they ask. Art are you listening? Don't know about the mendels but Whites might be able to help you out----if they can find enough cows.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art ! So your the guy who leaves Big Foot prints everywhere !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I truly enjoy my Russell Sheep Hunters. It took a few dry runs to get them correct, but they feel like slippers on my feet.

I started with a pair of their "off the shelf" South 40 Birdshooters a number of years back and eventually had my Sheep Hunters custom made to my specs. Something I'd never had put into boots was "heel counters" to prevent heel walk over. I didn't realize it at the time but the heel counters, as originally installed, would provide a source of discomfort. Twice, the boots arrived, and twice calls went to Russell trying to describe the problem. And twice Russell sent UPS to pick up my boots at their cost. When they arrived a 3rd time, the problem was "mostly" gone. Well, the elk season arrived and I needed a pair of boots, so I wore the new Russell's, hoping the problem would go away. It didn't! It was a long miserable day, with the heel counter 1st rubbing then seeming to constrict about the top of my ankle.

Upon arriving home, I called Ralph at Russell's and described the problem. He had me send them to him, now at my cost since I had worn them. With in 3 weeks the boots came back and Waa Laa!!! Problem solved. I called Ralph and asked what he did. The heel counter was too tall. So he shaved it down and smoothed out the interior seem which covers the heel counter; at no cost to me. All this, to me, is fantastic customer service.

Some might argue the point it took three tries to get it right. Well, maybe you have a point, but custom is custom and how many times have you gotten something custom done correctly the 1st time.

As far as I'm concerned I have found a boot company for life.

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second that on Russell. I got a pair of the High Country Hunters made and just love them. I really like the way the heel counters work by not letting the foot roll over no matter how hard you try. Great Boots.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with two guides this fall for elk who had White boots. What a POS when it rained - they soaked up water like a sponge. Also seemed quite heavy to me. One of the guides had been talked into the Whites boot, and he was sorely (literally) disappointed.

I personally don't see what all the fuss is about...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered Chippewas? I've had great luck with their hikers (Vibram soles, great support, tough leather, very comfortable). However, they specialize in loggers. The super loggers may be good for you. Try chippewaboots.com. All are handmade - some in US, some not. Reasonable prices. Good luck.

Posts: 50 | Location: albany, ny | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote