THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Italian made Vasque Sundowners.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian made Vasque Sundowners.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If someone has a pair of Vasque Sundowners that were made in Italy, pre-Red Wing acquisition, would you please post the model number. It should be inside near the top of the boot.

Thank you,

Jay

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Ok, that's why the new ones suck. I couldn't figure it out.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tossed mine and switched to Kenetrec's.

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Ok, that's why the new ones suck. I couldn't figure it out.

Pretty much. The new ones are made in Vietnam (RW moved production from China to Vietman and quality improved but they are not close to the ones made in Italy). I'm looking for an Italian made pair but the secondary market but most sellers can't distinguish between the various models.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the A solo 520 or 525? Very similar and I have found them to be good quality.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alico Tahoes (available exclusively from Sierra Trading Post) are Italian made, well-reviewed, and very close to the old Sundowners.

http://www.sierratradingpost.c...~4%2F&colorFamily=04

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sandyhunter is right. I love mine and quality is tops.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found a pair of Italian-made Sundowners on eBay. Worn but not very much. They are incredibly comfortable. I looked at the Asolo's and they were my fall-back if I wasn't able to find a pair of Sundowners. I paid $91 for them and had them in 2-3 days.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congrats Double Gun, I loved my Italian Sundowners, bought the cheap replacements and they really, really sucked. I found some Scarpas in wide that have worked well, but not as good as the IT Sundowners!

Time to try some Kenetrecs.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Anybody use La Sportiva. They are Italian made.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 different pair in my hands as I type this. One pair has the numbers 7535, the other 7536.

HOWEVER both pair clearly state MADE IN ITALY inside the boots.
They are my favorite footwear. Now that they are no longer available I am wearing various types of Russell boots, and I have one pair of Kennetrek that I like.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, Heym doesn't make boots yet? :-)

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised by how comfortable my Sundowners are. I have been wearing them quite a bit and when I take them off I don't feel like I have been wearing hiking boots.

Does anyone have experience with the Danner Classic hiking boot?

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
If someone has a pair of Vasque Sundowners that were made in Italy, pre-Red Wing acquisition, would you please post the model number. It should be inside near the top of the boot.

Thank you,

Jay

Jay: here you go!

I literally bought the last pair of Italian-made Sundowners this shop had and they believed possibly in the state. That was over 10 years ago in Michigan. They certainly DO NOT make them like my pair anymore.

-John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you,

Jay

I had these boots for a few years. Not meaning to hijack your thread, but would anybody know if these boots would be good for a coming hunt in Zambia this July?

Cheers,

Jess

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monkeyhunter:
quote:

Thank you,

Jay

I had these boots for a few years. Not meaning to hijack your thread, but would anybody know if these boots would be good for a coming hunt in Zambia this July?

Cheers,

Jess

Lets try the pictures one more time:

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Mine say 7994 Made in Italy on the tongue. I got them for $40. Nice pair of boots.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of the Italian made in Nov 1997. I've had them resoled once. They are about dead now having been worn for 19 years. The gortex liners are disintegrating and the leather is rough.

I tried on a pair of the Asian made. A kid selling them, barely shaving, spoke highly of them. I was sad and immediately took them off because they felt like garbage on my feet. It's sad to see such quality boots gone from the market. My feet have widened so I'll need a different width but I'd love to find a pair of the old Vasque or a new "like" made boot. It's funny. My old worn out boots are almost as old as the kid trying to sell me the new junk.

lc

one of us
posted Hide Post
The pair I bought on eBay are really in great condition considering the age.