New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I remembered this thread and thought I would add something for the coffee addict.
The company that makes those flavored creamers cups, “International delightsâ€, has come out with a new product.
A small cup, just like the flavored creamers, that has a full cup of strong coffee condensed in to it.
The product is called “StOk†(capitol O on purpose). Since each one weighs about ½ oz, and they are disposable, it might make they perfect backing coffee. These things have about the same caffeine as two regular cups, or one espresso shot. In other words, two of them and you WILL be wired, believe me.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:

A small cup, just like the flavored creamers, that has a full cup of strong coffee condensed in to it.
The product is called “StOk†(capitol O on purpose). Since each one weighs about ½ oz, and they are disposable, it might make they perfect backing coffee. These things have about the same caffeine as two regular cups, or one espresso shot. In other words, two of them and you WILL be wired, believe me.

Intersting! thumb

I'll have to try it.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do all my backpack cooking with this:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Cooking-Systems/Personal-(PCS)

I make my coffee with this:

http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories/Coffee-Press

Basically a french press which fits into the cooking system. It even breaks down to pack within the main cup.

Coffee in 3 minutes, works and tastes good.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used this espresso maker for better than 20yrs. for the clients and my much better half in spike camp......I also use Medaglio D'Oro fine Italian grind coffee......keeps eveyone buzzing.....I don't drink the vile stuff(coffee).....never acquired a taste for it.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:

Interesting! thumb

I'll have to try it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anybody tried Starbuck's Via instant micro-ground?

Damn! I HATE instant coffee (powder, crystal, in teabag thingees, etc.)!

But this stuff tastes like REAL brewed coffee... and has a good caffeine "boost"!

It comes in sturdy light packets and dissolves easily even in ice-cold water.

Am I a convert to "instant" coffee? Well, for use in the field, this stuff is the best tasting "low weight/easy cleanup" substitute I've found for good brewed coffee.

Try it...... tell me what you think. TIA!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry thermos - element 5 from Thermos - for day trips with Tschibo in it. Thats german brand I am addicted to.
When I have to brew my own outdoors, I go with Nescafe instant - it can be made into ice coffee too which is very refreshing in summer.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Mount Hagen Organic instant coffee from Germany is good stuff. It's mainly what I drink all the time now.

http://www.vitacost.com/Mount-...ic-Caf-3-53-oz-100-g

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AEROPRESS coffee maker

Posts: 193 | Location: Uxbridge, Ontario | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HUNTS:
Mount Hagen Organic instant coffee from Germany is good stuff. It's mainly what I drink all the time now.

I'll have to give the Mount Hagen a try!

It is available in the same type of single serving "tubes" as Starbucks VIA. Costs less too!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunts, I got a 3.5 oz. jar of Mount Hagen today.

It's pretty good, but I think the Starbucks VIA Colombian is better. The VIA tastes more like genuine brewed coffee.

The Mount Hagen is definitely better than Tasters Choice and all other American freeze dried instants that I have tried.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was teaching school in Central America (Costa Rica and Panama) unless your were in a nicer more established restaurant your coffee was made by boiling water and pouring it through a cotton "sock" with a wire mouth on it. When you were finished with it, just was it out and hang to dry.

Ever since then I find a thin flexible oak twig and turn it into a coffee strainer handle using one of my new clean low cut socks or one of my girlfriends, if I don't feel like sacrificing one of mine. Hope this helps.

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
I have not tried the Starbucks. I always thought their coffee tasted burnt. Is the instant better than their regular?

quote:
Hunts, I got a 3.5 oz. jar of Mount Hagen today.

It's pretty good, but I think the Starbucks VIA Colombian is better. The VIA tastes more like genuine brewed coffee.

The Mount Hagen is definitely better than Tasters Choice and all other American freeze dried instants that I have tried.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not tried the Starbucks. I always thought their coffee tasted burnt. Is the instant better than their regular?

No. Starbucks instant is not better than their regular.

It's a matter of taste. My dad says the same thing about Starbucks. "Tastes burnt!"

He waters the regular brewed Starbucks down with water and uses 10-11 oz. of hot water with the Starbucks instant (instructions call for 8 oz.).

I'd recommend you try a 3-pack of the Colombian ($2.95) and see if you like it. Try it first with the recommended 8 oz. of hot water and then adjust to taste.

I think you'll like it!

PS - Starbucks changes their brewed coffees. So if you get the "pick of the day", ask which coffee you're drinking. Ask if it's a "mild" or "bold". Go for the "mild". Caffeine content is about the same but the bold has a more bitter flavor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, the gourmet coffee shops sell chocolate covered coffee beans. You can eat those for the caffeine, and you get chocolate too.

Here's a point of view idea. Forgo the coffee just like you forgo the interspring mattress and electric blanket. Then you'll appreciate them more when you get back.

The first thing we do coming out of the woods (besides flush toilets) is a "burger and beer." You could add coffee to that list.

Starbucks burns their beans. Locally they're called "Charbucks" -- also "FourBucks" which is what a cup runs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried some of Starbuck's Via, not bad. Maybe a bit pricey @ $10 for a 12 cup pack.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster's Coffee Pouch

Here's what you need:

- ground coffee of choice(any grind will do)
- stapler
- no. 2 cone filter

Measure a 1 cup portion of ground coffee and pour into the filter. Fold the "ears" of the filter towards the middle of the filter and then fold about 1/2 inch of the top down. Use the stapler and staple through the overlapping folds. You now have a coffee pouch that you can put in a cup of hot water like a tea bag. The stapled end is your handle. Store in a Ziploc bag. There is enough room in the last fold to insert a thin twig to suspend the pouch in the cup, and makes for a convenient way to remove it. You could also insert a 6 inch piece of cotton kite string when you staple it. The entire package is biodegradable.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have not backpacked a French Press, I have used one on Motel trips, and car camping trips.

Still the Folgers Coffee bags are the lightest, easiest for backacking use IMHO...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooster Coleburn:
OK, the gourmet coffee shops sell chocolate covered coffee beans. You can eat those for the caffeine, and you get chocolate too.

Got some ordered to give 'em a try!

quote:
Forgo the coffee just like you forgo the interspring mattress and electric blanket. Then you'll appreciate them more when you get back.

Huh?!!!!!! Eeker

quote:
Originally posted by Rooster Coleburn: Starbucks burns their beans. Locally they're called "Charbucks" -- also "FourBucks" which is what a cup runs.

Do the individual local Starbucks roast their own beans on location .....or do they get the beans pre-roasted?

I'm wondering because my local Starbucks coffee is always pretty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
While I have not backpacked a French Press, I have used one on Motel trips, and car camping trips.

Still the Folgers Coffee bags are the lightest, easiest for backacking use IMHO...

Folgers is not coffee. Folgers is sawdust in a can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"An internal service error occurred. Try again later.

That sure as fugg doesn't archive all my links and text, does it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovis:
I've used this espresso maker for better than 20yrs. for the clients and my much better half in spike camp......I also use Medaglio D'Oro fine Italian grind coffee......keeps eveyone buzzing.....I don't drink the vile stuff(coffee).....never acquired a taste for it.

That's a variation on a Moka Pot -- Italian design. But you really need fine ground fresh beans. I would work in a camp situation.

Bialetti makes the best Moka Pot.

BialettiShop.com

Joe

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Some of the best coffee I have ever had was brewed using regular ground coffee tied up in a large sized filter. My grandfather and I were backpacking and had planned to brew coffee by dumping the grounds into a boiling pot of water. On a lark I brought along half a dozen round paper filters.

I poured the grounds into the middle of the filter and used a piece of string to close the top like a giant tea-bag. I then dropped this "tea-bag" into a boiling pot of stream water. Five minutes later we enjoyed the best coffee either of us has ever had.

I don't know if it was the water, the method, or the company, but that coffee still comes up in our conversations from time to time.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I use a Jet-Boil the pot doubles as a coffe cup and then I use 2 Folgers singles.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rooster Colburn, I took your advice and got some dark chocolate covered espresso beans from nutsonline.com ......... they're quite a good trail snack! thumb

But I still need a warm cup o' joe on cold mornings. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I don't know if it was the water, the method, or the company, but that coffee still comes up in our conversations from time to time.

Good coffee is always an appreciated part of the backpacking experience.

One of Us
Picture of WTR
posted Hide Post
I 2nd VIA from Starbucks.

Not a fan of Starbucks, but the new microgrind VIA is good. Small packets - just tear and pour into hot water. Very quick and efficient when on the move!

Posts: 35 | Location: Madison, GA | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No. Starbucks instant is not better than their regular.

It's a matter of taste. My dad says the same thing about Starbucks. "Tastes burnt!"

He waters the regular brewed Starbucks down with water and uses 10-11 oz. of hot water with the Starbucks instant (instructions call for 8 oz.).

I'd recommend you try a 3-pack of the Colombian ($2.95) and see if you like it. Try it first with the recommended 8 oz. of hot water and then adjust to taste.

I think you'll like it!

PS - Starbucks changes their brewed coffees. So if you get the "pick of the day", ask which coffee you're drinking. Ask if it's a "mild" or "bold". Go for the "mild". Caffeine content is about the same but the bold has a more bitter flavor.

If you can find it, try some Tchibo. Either instant or regular, they are both good. Wegmans carries it.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, get with it. The best way to make it on a cup by cup basis is with a French press. One cup at a time!
coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know about you, ..... but I NEED a good cup of coffee to get going.

No more instant for me!

What's your favorite method of making small portions (1-2 cups) of coffee on the trail?

TIA!
On the trail, as opposed to by the campfire, I use instant coffee and "put a l'il bit between my cheek and gums" an suck on the "chew."

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never thought of the "chew" idea, naphtali. i'll have to try it. i carry a 9 cup percolator. light (aluminum) and i use it for meals and general water disenfecting (i filter and then boil all) doesn't take up much space cause i'm not carring a separate pot for meals.

if you can't own it don't say it

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I 'm a moderately addicted coffee drinker....drink two pots a day, every day, made with two scoops of coffee per cup. As I tell my friends, it it is just strong enough if I can leave my trail knife standing straight up in it.

Still, when hunting in the Canadian bush of northern Alberta, I never carry coffee. Instead, I drink Labrador Tea, also called in some parts of the west Kinnikinnick Tea (ka-nick-a-nick) It is really this:

Common Names: Labrador Tea, Kinnikinnick Tea, St. James' Tea, Marsh Tea, Swamp Tea, Hudson's Bay Tea
Genus: Ledum
Species: groenlandicum
Parts Used: leaves

It is delicious, and grows pretty much everywhere in the northern Alberta bush, particularly in the areas adjacent to the east slope of the Rockies. In the fall it is in perfect shape for use anytime after the first good frost...just pick it off the low growing bushes (2-1/2 to 4 ft/ tall), throw it in a container of water, and boil it over the camp fire.

It is more refreshing than either coffee or regular tea, to me, and is extremely rich in vitamin C. Has been drunk by the indians of the area for centuries. Brewed stronger, it is also used as an herb tea by them to promote skin and stomach health.

Despite the one name (swamp tea), in Alberta it seems to thrive best on south or south-eastern facing slopes of well-drained graveled soil in forests of large, relatively open trees. It is wide spread though and very common, so it's pretty much easy to find in virtually any district.

Anyway, good stuff to know about if you are backpacking in the north and want to carry an absolute minimum weight of gear with you.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
DO NOT buy the Java Juice concentrate/extract. I took that on my last trip and while it was better than nothing, I did not enjoy it. I've tried the Starbucks Via, and will take that along next time. Just my 2 cents>

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by opus72:
DO NOT buy the Java Juice concentrate/extract. I took that on my last trip and while it was better than nothing, I did not enjoy it. I've tried the Starbucks Via, and will take that along next time. Just my 2 cents>

I tried Java Juice ONCE..... and once was enough!

Did you know they also make that crap in decaffeinated?!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In camp I brew coffee either on a stove or campfire with beans I grind at home and bring along. On the trail, I really like the new Starbucks, fast, easy and tastes really good.

Sometimes I carry a small thermos filled with boiling water,and a cup and make the Starbucks instant on the spot. Tastes better than making it up and carrying it in the Thermos for several hours.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote