New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 500 Special. Oh what fun!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last week Jack Huntington finished the 500 Special project. What a hoot to shoot. Recoil is about like a a hot 38 load. A fun 50 cal plinker and it should be a real killer on deer.
Based on a 500 S&W cut to 1.285". It's meant to push 300 to 350 grain bullets at 800 to 900fps. It fits in Ruger Blackhawks with no frame modifications. Jack is doing a new barrel and freewheeling cylinder for $700 + shipping.
I don't post much so if you want more information on it call him at 530-298-6877

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great price, especially when you look at all the other conversions that are closer to $1400+ on your gun.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
JACK DOES FANTASTIC WORK TOO!HE HAS DONE SEVERAL CUSTOMS FOR ME...GREAT GUY TO BOOT!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what is the max oal?
how fast can 440's go?
glad you like it.

p.s. auburn is beautiful

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom Stick, 440s are beyond the parameters it was desigined for, I doubt they would go fast enought to impress anyone. The whole idea was to have a 50 that is fun to shoot and not in the mine is bigger, better, faster catagory. 300s to 350s at 800-900 fps was the goal. This is a cartridge that anyone who can handle a hot 38 load can now enjoy a 50 too. As a plus you can also shoot them in your 500 S&W.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S., Boom Stick, I'm glad you like Auburn too!
If you have to be in Kali the foothills are a very nice place to be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice shooter on a smaller frame. It would certainly be more portable than the big Smiths.

I don't know about the price though. With the initial cost of the gun plus the conversion you'll have just as much or more in it than a S&W X-frame.

I've never cut any of my shells down but I have loaded rounds with Titegroup to levels similar to those mentioned. The Speer 300 & 325gr slugs can be loaded too if you've got a cannelure tool.

It does seem a little funny though when you think about "plinking" with a 50cal revolver. IIRC the recoil seemed more like 44specials and not 38's. I don't always push my loads but I'm not fond of shooting shorter cases since the pressures are still quite high. The thought of ringing the cylinder on one of my 500's just doesn't excite me.

Sounds like this just may be the ticket for someone wanting a smaller big bore single action.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote