THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Rimmed 221 rem fireball wheel gun

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimmed 221 rem fireball wheel gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
Why not?

for a contender or 22 hornet bfr conversion use trimmed 357 maximum brass and 221 fireball reamer and dies with fireball shell holder to make a quick and nifty 22 for a single shot or a varnmit wheel gun.

could be done for a 17 fireball but I like the 22 more...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand.asp?ProductCode=BFR22H10

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You need to get a copy of John J Donally's book on cartridge conversions. Most, if not all, of the ideas you are coming up with have already been made.

Not knocking you boomie, just think it would make an interesting read for you.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I will look that up. Thnks.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What kinda velocity do you think could be achieved with a 10" bfr barrel???

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
No need to trim brass if you start with 360 DW brass. I have a couple of friends who've gone that rought with rimmed 221 f-balls. The 10" 221 pretty much matchs a 22 hornet rifle. Oh, you said bfr, well you'll loose some from the barrel/cylinder gap, maybe down around 2500 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
2500 fps would be great for a wheel gun...

I think the rimmed version should be called f-bombs Big Grin

Drop some f-bombs on prarie dogs out to 200 yards with a pistol and scope and have 5 more quick follow up shots for his buddies BOOM

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I like this one Boomi. I bet you could even get Magnum to chamber an extra cylinder for it in their custom shop.
A couple of things that I think would make it better would be.
1: Improve the body to mostly straight wall to try and avoid case setback and tie up the cylinder.
2: make the neck a little longer to keep cast bullet bases enclosed in the neck. This one would be optional, but I like shooting cast in everything I can.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks...

having a packin' 150 yard preditor/varnmit pistol is a neeto idea to me...22 hornet rifle velocity in a six gun...hell yeah! and not to expensive if used off the shelf reamer and dies. recoil would be minimal so you could get pretty accurate it.

Thanks for the pointers thumb

I got other irons in other fires to do it Frowner

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I thought about this some more...

I think chambering it to the fireball first and seeing how it does in terms of functionality and factory ammo would be a good first step and then if there are issues follow the wisdom of lar45 and do a straight walled case.either way it is an interesting and better packing varnmit/target gun than a rifle.

have a 22 hornet and a fireball in one rig with an extra cylinder.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
didn't somebody do a .256 win mag revolver???... i had jimmy mitchell in breckenridge tx rechamber a tc/10" bull bbl'd 256 win mag to a .225/256....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
question is will this gain a meaningful velocity gain to be worth it. how fast does a 22 hornet fly out of a bfr???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 K-Hornet in a Ruger with an 8" bbl Gary Reeder built and with 13.0gr of Lil Gun and a 50gr Remington PL hollow point they are running an average of 1920 fps. The other cartridge idea you wrote about previously is very similar to Reeders 224GNR which is a necked down 357 Maximum case. Gary chambers this in the converted Ruger Maximum revolvers. The 50gr bullet in a 224GNR should give you about 2300fps out of a revolver. Shorten the case a bit to fit into the standard length cylinders and you would get perhaps 2200fps.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4s50FeoeQ0

the new FN 5.7x28mm round in a handgun can do over 2100 fps...

maybe just load the fn round in a regular 22 ruger???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice round, but thats in an auto so subtract 200 fps for a bbl/cyl gap. Now your down to the velocity of my smaller 22 k-hornet.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote