Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
quote:
Posted 15 August 2010 19:52 Hide Post
Ya, in my best Elvis voice. . .
Thank you. . . . Thank you very muchhhh. . . .

Very close to real and well said.
BUT, why can I use soft, sticky Felix lube with tons of it all over the boolit without a loss of case tension?.
Why does my lube shoot half size groups then any other?.
Why do clean boolits with a hard lube only in the grooves pull out of the brass?
You are not answering the question or solving the trouble. If you think the lube alone is doing the job, you are wrong.

Ahh, did not say that it WILL always happen, but that it could possibly contribute to it happining. Now is not that the issue you did have with the FA? Is that not the reason we are all having this discussion? If not, I'm confused.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
Well MS, if you load proper you will be in good shape and lube or the boolit will have no effect. Any gun will work fine.
Step out of line and the Freedom will fail first, then all the rest.
Just how many REALLY know how to load ammunition?

Well, bfr, I know very well how to properly load ammo. Yet to have a problem jumping crimp in any of my FAs, so I have no problems taking them to where dangerous game lurk. I shot IHMSA for many years as well, so you aren't the only one who has played that game. I've had to make .445 Supermag brass from .303 Brit when the commercial brass wasn't ready; you aren't the only one who has done any of that type work.

I don't doubt your knowledge base, but you may not have known so much to begin with to afford forgetting more than we all know. Now, you need to let you FA bug go, or you need to go some place else.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the Baker family had just gone ahead and "comped" this guy a revolver,then the rest of us would have never had the chance to learn from this all purpose GURU.. Idabull

Posts: 142 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i will never shoot those groups b/c i don't use red dots or anything other than iron sights unless i want to get the smallest possible groups to see what revolver or load will do. i do not however know what pictures will prove as no one really knows how many shots it took to hit the cans or how far the target really was but soon i will stick on some on my guns, get a new digital camera and will post some for "proof". just know if the guns i have were crap i wouldn't shoot'em. i've been shooting the 454 casull in FA, BFR, SRH and raging bull all put together for over 14 years now, i've shot thousands of round through them and had my first instance of bullets tying up the cylinder, oddly enough one in a FA and one in a SRH. both were far enough out to tie up the cylinder in ANY of the guns. they were also able to be pushed back in by finger pressure. they were factory loads whitworth also had the pleasure of jumping crimp as well. the recoil on those rounds is horrendous and damn near worse than anything i've shot. other than that nearly 20K rounds over 14 years and no issue till then.

interestingly enough, despite freedom's deplorable twist rate i've recently shot two groups that could be covered with a silver dollar at 50 yards, five shots each with 45 acp rounds out of my 10" gun and with beartooth 300 grain wlfn bullets at 850 fps. seemed to stabilize just fine. as it does with the hot stuff. my bfr .475 shot no more or less accurate, wonderful gun but it would be laughable to call it the superior gun. has some features i may like alot but not superior.

bob baker has said before that there was much more to the story about the original offending pistol and then said he'd say no more so i know there's at least two sides to every story and there is here as well. never really heard anyone else complain about FA service, mine has been incredible, any minor minor complaint has been dealt with quickly, kindly, and under warranty.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, why don't we put this to bed for good? bfrshooter obviously has had a bad experience with FA that he has allowed to cloud the way he judges their revolvers. Jim, I don't think you're giving FA a fair shake, and you would have to whitness thousands of examples of failures in order to have a viable sample to be able to draw any credible conclusions. I personally don't like painting with broad brush strokes, and thereby won't make blanket statements about any make/type/caliber of revolver. Yup, we had a problem with ammunition that has been addressed.

bfrshooter, please back down now, and the rest of you please do the same. This place is startng to stink. Let us agree to disagree.

I still maintain that the old codger can shoot circles around me and I'm not bad. He's not BSing about the groups he shoots at the ranges he claims. For the record, a red dot is difficult for shooting tight groups. It's not precise like a scope.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I agree that I get carried away.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, but bfrshooter has a great technique for using a red dot effectively and i am gonna give it a shot here soon. Cool

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote