New
Find
Notify
Tools

.480 Ruger. Why?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't see why they rolled out this cartridge. Can anybody tell me why they thought this would be a good idea?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I can't see why they rolled out this cartridge. Can anybody tell me why they thought this would be a good idea?

It's a cartridge that comfortably fits in the confines of a "normal-sized" revolver. It's definitely a bigger hammer on game than the various .45s (and the .44 Mag). Even loaded to spec it doesn't kick nearly as badly as its parent the .475 Linebaugh (loaded to spec), meaning it is a friendlier cartridge. As a handgun hunter it makes all the sense in the world. The more pertinent question is why not the .480 Ruger?

I've killed all manner of game with the .480 and it is very effective terminally.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
One more thing to add, but the .480 Ruger wasn't just "rolled out," it was introduced in 2001.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
quote:

It's a cartridge that comfortably fits in the confines of a "normal-sized" revolver. It's definitely a bigger hammer on game than the various .45s (and the .44 Mag).

That's probably what I was missing. The 475 linbaugh is on a larger frame?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's a cartridge that comfortably fits in the confines of a "normal-sized" revolver. It's definitely a bigger hammer on game than the various .45s (and the .44 Mag). Even loaded to spec it doesn't kick nearly as badly as its parent the .475 Linebaugh (loaded to spec), meaning it is a friendlier cartridge. As a handgun hunter it makes all the sense in the world. The more pertinent question is why not the .480 Ruger?

I've killed all manner of game with the .480 and it is very effective terminally.

I couldn't have said it any better. It's a great cartridge.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because they saw an opportunity to sell guns.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a cartridge that comfortably fits in the confines of a "normal-sized" revolver. It's definitely a bigger hammer on game than the various .45s (and the .44 Mag).

That's probably what I was missing. The 475 linbaugh is on a larger frame?

The 475 Linebaugh is built on the same frame size. The frame is opened a bit to allow a longer cylinder to be installed.
Nothing wrong with a 480 IMHO.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Because they saw an opportunity to sell guns.

Big-bore revolvers are not and have never been big sellers for any manufacturer of firearms. That said, it really is one of the best cartridges for the handgun hunter IMHO. A much better option than either model of X-frame.

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can always chop one down but I'd like to see a 4 5/8" 480

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Remember that Hornady and Ruger have cooperated in introducing several cartridges bearing the Ruger name. In this case, they had the opportunity to introduce a SAAMI spec cartridge close to the cult popular .475 Linebaugh in power (100 fps with 400 gr.), that wouldn't bear his name, that gave the performance levels noted above.
It took over 10 years of requests from the public, including Lipsey's Jason Cloessner, for Ruger to agree to introduce this .480 5 shot single action.
It's a winner.

I'm not really new. I had 1,000+ posts going back to 1996, when I suddenly found myself unable to Log In, in late 2013

Posts: 22 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whats not to like about the 480 ruger? It is a good step up in power from the 45's as it will shoot 400gn bullets. It kicks just a little more than a 44 mag but has much more power.

you could argue why not make it a 475 Linebaugh.

The reason is mainly to come close to that cartridge in power but have a lot less kick.
It's kind of like the 454 and 45 colt. the 454 is just too much for some to handle when the 45 colt or 44 mag will get it done.

The 480 ruger offers a step up in power without increasing recoil to the levels of 454 or 475

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Because next to the 45LC, its the coolest caliber ever --

huge bullets
good vels
and wide range of frames you can build one on.

and its .475 bullets...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the point of shooting AND carrying, I think it makes a lot of sense. Had an X frame 500, lot of fun, it,s bark was worse than it,s bite. After getting it, and the novelty wore off, 500 JRH started looking better and better. Lighter, handier, and for fun stuff with HS-6, think a shorter case would work a lot better.
Like the idea of a 475 Linebaugh, but if I can get my hands on a new 480 Blackhawk, I will.
If they happen to come out with a 500 JRH, there's gonna be some serious plotting and scheming goin on.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in a RedHawk great caliber 400 ft/lbs over the 44 mag and not much more recoil. I scoped it and plan on taking it to Texas this fall to hunt with.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
Buddy of mine in Texas owns a Taurus 92 in 480 Ruger, and used it to drop a hybrid Cape/Water Buffalo. I personally am not a fan of the cartridge a 44 magnum being more than adequate for my island needs but you can't argue with the results, and I wouldn't steer a Mainlander away from buying a 480 Ruger.

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that the midframe flattops and new vaquero's can be converted to 5 shot 480's. Such a gun in 4.75" bisley or #5 fashion would be sweet!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Old thread but:

I do not presently own or never own a 480 Ruger. I am not really a handgun hunter either. But, I carry larger bore revolvers anytime I am out and about in the outdoors and shoot them a bit.

I personally think the 480 Ruger is an outstanding round. I believe it may be my near-future ideal large bore.
I have been pondering in this cartridge for quiet sometime.

The 480 Ruger does pretty much all I need in a large bore without excess.
I do enjoy my 44s, 45s, 454s, 475s; and they have their place. And yes, I could use 480's in the 475's or adjust the load, but rather one load in one cartridge. Plus, I want the 480 in a double action.

The 480 seems about perfect in form and function.
Platform wise, I wish that Ruger would make the single and double actions in 5" barrels. But, barrel length can be changed. And I am damn happy they are producing their present line.

Okay, re-reading this thread has just about pushed me over the edge on purchasing Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today, I corrected that deficiency of not owning a 480 Ruger. I acquired a Super RedHawk in 480 Ruger. Barrel reduction to 5" is called for. Wish they offered a 480 in the Toklat model.

A Super BlackHawk Bisley in 480 is now on the wish list. I had my paws and drool on one the other day. I really like the feel of it, but again would prefer a 5" model. But, that is achievable.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I have high hopes that after cutting the barrel to 5", this will be very handy for a large revolver. I do like the 5" Toklat 454.

A Bisley in 480 is now high on the want list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you think of it after cutting the barrel.

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
Let us know what you think of it after cutting the barrel.

Will do. But may be awhile, I have a couple other revolvers that I need to ship outside for some modifications.

I do have a 454 Super RedHawk with a 5" barrel and I like its handling, and carrying characteristics (in a chest holster). My son also has a 454, 5" Super RedHawk and really likes it.

The 5" barrel does not turn Super RedHawk into the sleeker 5" S&W 629 Classic, but does make it much handier for me to carry.

I have a Freedom Arms in 475 Linebaugh with a 4-3/4 barrel and it maybe my favorite outdoors type companion single action. Quiet possibly my favorite revolver period. It stepped ahead of a 454 Freedom Arms 5.5" that I carried around for about 20 years.

With all that said, I have gravitated towards 5" barrels being my preferred barrel length of single and double actions.
And likely the 480 Ruger will become my favorite larger bore cartridge. I can not see what not to like about the 480.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
What's not to like about the 480 Ruger. A 400+gr bullet @ 1200 fps. I may be odd, but I really like the 7 1/2" SRH. It makes a fine hunting And bdp "bear defense pistol. Some guys say they are too big and heavy to pack, that has not been my experience. I got my first one in 02 and have packed a SRH 480 for several years in the brush. I prefer the recoil of the 400+gr bullet loads at 1200 ish fps to the factory 325 gr load. Much less snappy and with H110/Win296 it seems more like shooting a 45Colt than a 454.. Tho I like most of the large bore revolver rounds . I like the 480 Ruger best of all.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the itch to shorten my Super Redhawk 480 Ruger from 9 1/2 inches. It isn't rational. I have a 500 Linebaugh 5 1/2" Redhawk and a Taurus 6 1/2" 480 Ruger. It's not a need it's an obsession. I have to say the 3 pound Redhawk is the only handgun that's drawn blood. I hadn't tried a full power load in a year or so and touched one off. The front sight and my forehead got together and my wife got to laugh and practice her nursing skills. She mentions I've laughed at lots of folks who couldn't control their revolver recoil. I like the ease with which the Super Redhawk attaches my Ultradot 30. It is clumsy but would make a good tree stand gun, if someone would carry it for me.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I asked the same question about their RCM line of cartridges. Still scratching my head...

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
However, the .480 makes perfect sense. If you haven't used one on big-game I would recommend doing so. Try it, you may like it.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iirc when the 480 came out the 325 gr factory load had a velocity in the 1400s fps. Now its listed as 1380 fps . Not that it makes a difference, just different maybe.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, the .480 makes perfect sense. If you haven't used one on big-game I would recommend doing so. Try it, you may like it.

I have a Rossi lever action chambered for the 480,what game have you taken & what ammo did you use?thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have taken a number of wild hogs with Hornady 400 grain XTPs, Speer 325 grain ammo, Buffalo Bore 370 grain cast loads, and handloads with CEB 220 grain Raptor bullets, black bear with Buffalo Bore 410 grain cast loads, and I took a 1,500 water buffalo with handloads with a 340 grain CEB handgun solid.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What velocity did you have the 340 gr CEB solid going ? From what gun ?
Thanks .
Glen.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have taken a number of wild hogs with Hornady 400 grain XTPs, Speer 325 grain ammo, Buffalo Bore 370 grain cast loads, and handloads with CEB 220 grain Raptor bullets, black bear with Buffalo Bore 410 grain cast loads, and I took a 1,500 water buffalo with handloads with a 340 grain CEB handgun solid.

Thanks for your answer,at what range in yards do you typically take your shots? I have hunted with nothing except big bore rifles so far & this is a learning curve for me.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Bill, I like getting up close and personal. The water buffalo was taken at about 30 yards, the other animals at a variety of distances ranging from 25 - 75 yards or thereabouts.

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
Max, we have a mutual acquaintance. Ashley Emerson of Garret Cartridges of Texas. I live and farm not far from his hunting camp in West Texas. If he ever succeeds in getting you to come hog hunting with him, hopefully, he'll let me know so I can meet you.

Posts: 14 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 February 2016Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pease River:
Max, we have a mutual acquaintance. Ashley Emerson of Garret Cartridges of Texas. I live and farm not far from his hunting camp in West Texas. If he ever succeeds in getting you to come hog hunting with him, hopefully, he'll let me know so I can meet you.

Ashley's trying to get me out there in spring some time, but that will depend on my increasingly chaotic schedule. Would love to meet.

Semper Fidelis