Find
Notify
Tools

500 Smith on Elk loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Headed to Colorado in 2 weeks for a chance at Elk..Want to take one with my Smith 500 PC 6 1/2",up to 75 yds,shouldnt be a problem...I am thinking Barnes X in 325 or 375grs (I have both)..I also have the 500XTPs at 1400,but I think they are to much...I can get 15-2000 with the X's..Opinions please?

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I shoot an Encore in 500 S&W. Accuracy wise, the Hornady 500 gr. XTPs are OK. I got my best accuracy (1 to 1.5 inch 100 yards 3 shot groups) with Sierra 400 grain Sports Master bullets over H110/Win. 296.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If the 375gr X bullets shoot well I would try them. I am sure they are fairly flat shooting out of the .500

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up to 75 yards or so I don't think it will matter bullet wise. Both should penetrate completely on a broad side shot.
Shoot which is more accurate and enjoy the meatSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6602 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
poor 50-110 bfr gunna be left behind Frowner

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I vote for Ranger Rick's 700gn hard cast T-Rex Thumpers.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Hard cast flat point.......... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
jwp -- check your PMs! I'm with you on the hardcast flat-point front!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Hard cast flat point.......... thumb

I second that...

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the others on the hard cast. Here are a few of what I've put through mine. These all range from 223gr to 700gr. The 700grainer is on the far right.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
DEC, you are a man that has done some testing! What is your favorite all-around load? Do you have one favorite?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Holy cow DEC! Got a lil armory on that table Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually keep 700-1000 rounds loaded. That pic is a couple of years old and I've tried around another dozen different bullets with great success. One of my favorite loads is the Sierra 400gr JSP behind 38gr of H4227, it's an absolute tack driver. Here's a test target from 3 yrs ago. I was shooting my standard model 8 3/8" off a sand bag with open sights.

One load in particular shot a spectacular group. In fact it was one hole on the first 4 shots and I moved on the last shot because I thought I was missing the target Roll Eyes Here it is

I've got several targets with groups well under 1" @25yds and under 3" @100yds. I've tried just about every bullet I could stuff into the cases and really haven't found one that wouldn't shoot, with the right combination. I don't know if I'm lucky or not but all five of my S&W 500's are very accurate.

Most of the lead bullet data I've used came from John Ross, and most of the jacketed bullet data I extrapolated using loads from the web. Some of the bullets had to be cannelured because they were designed for the 50AE or they aren't available to reloaders, like the Winchester 400gr Platinum Tips. Those came with sabots designed for muzzle loaders and are a real pita to cannelure. To date I've tried around 15 different types of powder with most of the bullets and I'm still testing. I'm literally having a blast!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
DEC -- do you hunt with your .500? How has it done on game and what are your favorite hunting loads? If you don't mind sharing! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay in answering........
I had the opportunity two years ago to take a nice buck with my 500. I was shooting a Ballisticast 435 WFN with 37gr of LilGun. It was pushing around 1630fps and made a complete pass through the lungs at about 65yds. The exit hole wasn't as large as I though it was going to be either. He went about 10yds and just collapsed. I plan on using it again this year but right now I'm going into my bow hunting mode.

Withworth
I have a ton of data I've compiled over the years, and as I stated above mine mostly deals with jacketed bullets. If you'e got excel I'll gladly send you what I've got including John Ross's spreadsheet that deals with lead bullets. I'm always searching for new loads and I don't think you'll find a more comprehensive listing anywhere.